RELEASED NPC Map Locations Mod 2.2.2

Shows NPC locations on map. Uses a more accurate map page for more accurate tracking!

Tags:
  1. TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Try the big "DOWNLOAD NOW" button in bright orange at the top of every page in this thread.

• Bouhm

Bouhm Big Damn Hero

• ragnax

ragnax Scruffy Nerf-Herder

• Bouhm

Bouhm Big Damn Hero

Bouhm updated NPC Map Locations Mod with a new update entry:

bug fixes

Read the rest of this update entry...

Oxyligen likes this.
      • spacechase0

spacechase0 Ketchup Robot

So I was looking into getting other players (with the multiplayer mod) to show up on the map, and I wanted to have them be accurate like your NPC markers. However, the location + position -> screen position mapping isn't in its own function like I expected. I was also considering injecting an NPC marker, but it looks like that wouldn't work either since updates are done off of Utility.getAllCharacters() (which only gather NPCs).

Any chance you could help with something so I can hijack it for my own nefarious purposes? :p Moving the partitioning coordinate mapping to its own function would be simplest. (Rendering markers for everything in GameLocation.farmers is what I plan on doing. Actually, I believe this will end up making a marker for your own player too, since vanilla keeps your player in there as well.)

Also, I think this might be a bug.

HopeWasHere likes this.
        • Bouhm

Bouhm Big Damn Hero

I would love to help :) And thanks for pointing out the bug!
          Maybe we can continue this conversation through PMs so we don't unnecessarily bump the thread?

• Ladysarajane

Ladysarajane Existential Complex

Hit a new snag with running this in the latest update with Smapi and Framework. All of a sudden the log started throwing errors. Here is my log:

Attached Files:

• SheepMilks

SheepMilks Phantasmal Quasar

same as last post.

• argella1300

argella1300 Void-Bound Voyager

God bless you for making this mod, it's a real life saver for people like me doing a new farm!

• Bouhm

Bouhm Big Damn Hero

v2.0.0 UPDATE - MORE ACCURATE THAN EVER

Hey guys don't mind me just casually DROPPING A MASSIVE UPDATE AFTER ONE YEAR OF NO UPDATES. Fellow NPC stalkers, I have great news. If you've ever tried to track down an NPC using landscape features as reference points only to find yourself in a spot not even on the map, then you know the painful reality of how inaccurate the map is to the game world. I've solved this problem after much hesitation by heavily modifying the map to be actually accurate. Here's a brief look at the process:

[​IMG]

What you now have is a Google maps upgrade from an old development build of Apple Maps. I Frankenstein'd the game tile-maps together (although as you can see, it was impossible to stitch them perfectly) and basically redrew most of the map with this reference while trying to keep the style as closely as possible to the original map. While this took an eternity, it meant that I didn't have to spend an eternity trying to force accuracy (with no real room for success) with the old map in my code.

Anyway there's the update, along with translations for localization and other game content updates. I hope you appreciate the map as much as I hated working on it like 30 hours in :D

Oh and also if you're a mod developer interested in using the mod, I've cleaned up the code so it's actually comprehensible and not a product of a thousand monkeys on typewriters.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
                  • NonanteSeize

NonanteSeize Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Haven't tried this update yet but I want to say thank you for for your hard work, that's a lot of things you did, and it will be helpful to everyone.
                    Yay !

• tenthousandcats

tenthousandcats Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is incredible!!! I love it, thank you so much!

• Bouhm

Bouhm Big Damn Hero

Bouhm updated NPC Map Locations Mod with a new update entry:

2.0.1 Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

The big change here doesn't affect most users, but I finally went through the horrendous code I wrote 2 years ago and did various refactoring/optimizations. The code is much less bad now.

• Bouhm

Bouhm Big Damn Hero

• hawk_bite

hawk_bite Aquatic Astronaut

Hi there, I wanted to let you know that this mod doesn't track where the NPC's are on the map in beta 1.3 for single player mode. The icons are always at their respective homes, even when the NPCs leave their house.

Feel free to ask me more questions if this doesn't make sense. I love NPC Map Locations and can't wait to see it work for 1.3. :)

Attached Files:

• Bouhm

Bouhm Big Damn Hero

Hi, I'm aware of this issue and am working to fix it. Thanks for your support! :)

Ausmanthus likes this.
                            • lessdenied

lessdenied Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi there! I've been playing with this mod since I found mods, basically, and tonight it actually errored on me. Here's the SMAPI Log: https://log.smapi.io/KSU4pL0i

Any idea what's up?

• Mizzion

Mizzion Phantasmal Quasar

There's a game bug related to Marlon right now. @Bouhm, is waiting to see if they fix it right away or not. In the mean time, If you want to fix it yourself, Here is a post with the fixed files.

https://community.playstarbound.com...own-issues-fixes-2.145034/page-7#post-3288440

Bouhm and lessdenied like this.
                                • lessdenied

lessdenied Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah, weird! Thanks for the file, I've popped it right in and it's fixed the issue right up! Thanks! :D

• Mizzion

Mizzion Phantasmal Quasar

You're welcome.