Dev Blog Starbound at EGX Rezzed

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Well they were just examples, survival has many areas, but I understand your posture, this survival mode is more "semi-survival" xD, recently, I finished the game Mad Max, have a survival component, wanted to put something of this theme , but they did not achieve it.

The need for fuel for the vehicle was really unnecessary once you went "a little" in the story, you would never miss, like that, more things, with Starbound the same thing happens with the food, at the moment when you have a lot of rice more you will miss food, rice and fire and do not go hungry xD

Of course for this you have to advance a good chunk in the game, to plant and find more seeds, with 7 or 8 of planted rice is enough, you are collecting as you grow, while doing other things on the planet.

Because of course, something very annoying is the rain and the cells, if "you do not see the cell where there is something planted, it is not watered by the rain", you have to see on the screen so that the rain wet the harvest, this is something really annoying

PS: If you do not understand something, say it, my English is a mixture of myself and a translator for things I do not know, I'm sorry.

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, I play Frackin'Universe, and in FU we have these blocks that auto-water themselves, lol. So I suppose that's kinda-sorta cheating?

3. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Phantasmal Quasar

I've already modded the item drop out, and I'm starting to find hunger annoying. Probably should have just played on casual, but I want an excuse to actually use the food recipes. The bonuses aren't enough motivation by themselves.

Hunger definitely isn't that necessary to the experience (and I'm not sure it should be). It wasn't integral to the mechanics in New Vegas either, but I actually enjoyed it in that game, at least in hard core mode. I think that's because it fit the fiction so well. It's not a survival game, but scavenging and cooking at a campfire to keep yourself fed makes a lot of sense when you're a traveler in a post-apocalyptic desert. [That, and the hunger meter went down a LOT slower than Starbound, so it was less annoying.]

In Starbound, I'm the captain of a spaceship full of advanced technology, I have my own town, and yet I still find myself hunting for meat and devouring several ears of corn every ten minutes. It feels incongruous. There are too many other things to do for the keeping myself fed part to be interesting. I'd probably feel the same way about weapon durability.

Maaayyyybe if the game had a more realistic economy, I could just spend some pixels to buy a meal at Infinity Express instead of eating what I farm or hunting. Or order pizza delivery to my home planet (that's a mod I want now). That might make things a bit less weird. I haven't done the math, but I'm guessing that buying the food you eat is horribly inefficient compared to farming it yourself. Which is the exact opposite of reality.

4. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Mm, I would not call it a trap, nor have I seen what those blocks do because I do not use FU, but I suppose those blocks are like having a sprinkler that irrigates automatically or something like that? "

I would like more a FIX for this problem, that if it rains on the planet, the crops are irrigated even if you do not see them, but this does not happen, if you do not see the crops are not watered, if it is not solved I guess it will be 2 reasons, 1, which is complicated and do not bother, or 2, which can not be solved, I do not know.

It occurs to me that a serious solution would be to have a mod use blocks like those of FU that you comment, so that it is watered alone but "only when it rains" (something invisible, I do not know how those blocks you say work), in this way the crops would be watered, and if it does not rain, those blocks would not its function, And when it does not rain you have the sprinklers, when you know how to make them of course, that would be a viable solution, but of course, you have to know how to do this MOD, I do not know, at the moment, xD

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It works just like a dirt block, only it always stays watered, even if you're growing a plant in it. This means you can place a plant in those blocks, and then go anywhere, even another planet, mission, whatever and the plant will grow because the block is always watered.

6. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

It would be interesting as a "solution to the problem" that this block is only wet on rainy days (even when you are not on the planet) and sunny days, when it does not rain, that function is disabled.

It would be a solution for crops to be watered even if you do not see them, as long as it is raining.

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That would be a neat idea but sadly impossible; I've asked before about weather and weather-related effects and the answer is always thus:

There's no way to interact with the game's weather system with any sort of scripts, and the game isn't checking weather on planets that aren't currently loaded.

If you're on a planet and it's raining, and you move to another planet, the game will "unload" that planet and the weather on that unloaded planet is irrelevant from what I understand. I'm not sure how the "always watered" blocks work, though. But I just know that they do and it's awesome.

8. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Mm, knowing how these blocks work would be ideal to make the idea that I told you work, I smell that really only the blocks are wet when you are on the planet, even if you are not seeing the blocks, they will be wet, but only if the planet is loaded, if you are in it, it is a supposition only.

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So I opened FU files, and apparently the Vanilla game allows for this to be modded in...

In FU, there's farming.config.patch file which reads as follows:

Code:
    [
      {
      "op": "add",
      "path": "/wetToDryMods/hydrotilled",
      "value": "hydrotilled"
      },
      {
      "op": "add",
      "path": "/wetToDryMods/avalitilled",
      "value": "avalitilled"
      }
    ]
    This is apparently telling the vanilla game to make it so that these two blocks are always watered. So when a plant grows to a new stage, the game knows to not make these two tiles dry and so the plant continues to grow even after advancing a stage. Otherwise, the game would flip the block to dry and stop the plant's timer.

10. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Aa, I see, is a base to start researching on my part, you can still get these blocks are only wet when it rains as I would like, even if you do not see them but being on the planet, and when it does not rain they are dry , I will look at that file in the game to see how it is in an original way, to see if I draw conclusions.

Thanks for the information.

11. Silver200x

Silver200x Subatomic Cosmonaut

The lack of clarity, which was there previously to the games release, is my biggest concern, the blogs where exciting to read every time, and they where frequent, now the games released, its like we can step off the gas with our community, now i program in unity, and i can create a UI in 1 hour with clicks and functionality, i have previously written, defending you guys, regarding the development time taken to create a good game, but now I'm like ok, youve dropped the bounty hunter additions for some "ui" & controls for the xbox one and concentrating on the release of the xbox one?? how many employees does it take to do content and how many to do a port, because, from my understanding its just a "build target" your game is more CPU then GPU, and the xbox is an x86 instruction set processor, & some form of Directx API , if you google porting from pc to xbox one, its not very difficult. its not like your porting to a non x86 system, like android or IOS, & there are, only 8 axies in both 2 sticks, and about 16 other controls surely a professional gaming studio this is like childsplay stuff, I click build in unity and all my controls are mapped and setup in "player prefs" i do find that taking 6mnths + is taking the piddle for this development minor process, this isnt unity but you get my point, we would like to know more about the game we have paid for. i havnt paid for an xbox conversion.. this should of been done prior to release, as previous comments have been made, that once you have completed "the main" game, its all samey, and personally i feel i shouldnt have to rely on mods to make the game more interesting, and that, you the devs should provide more content/finish the bounty hunter update, as I feel its bad practise to do this is blog of whats coming, in 1.4 in Febuary to come april, blow that all in the wind because you want to cash in on the xbox market, not fair and very disappointed. I hope you guys save face, because, remember, we buy your game, you fxxk us over, you lose all credibility. and nobody will buy the port. its quite simple.

"After a lot of discussion and experimentation, we came to the conclusion that the bounty hunting, while really fun and exciting in concept, didn’t really feel like it complemented the rest of the game and felt like more of an ‘attached feature’ instead of an enhancement. For now we’ve made the decision to put it on hold"

Surely we can decide this and the best feedback is our feedback not 5/10 people in the office, you spent 6months making the content it to then drop it/put on hold, this does not make sense, regardless of what youve written, reading between the lines, its, you want to party up on the xbox version purely and we the fan can wait another 6mnths before we get more content/an update. ???

i think u should hold a meeting and change the decision on releasing the planned content update to sooner rather then later, the xbox version should be secondary to the fan base, as were the ones who brought it. or can i get a refund? lol joking.. but seriously, pull yah thumb out chucklefish guys and girls.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  12. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

If they release it now, and it truly does feel like a tacked on feature, complaints will just shift over to that instead.

The console port has been in development long before the decision to put 1.4 on hold was made, and the port isn't the reason it was put on hold. People asked for a console port, so they're giving them a console port.

I think the main issue here is most users don't know how to wait. It was evident in the months leading up to 1.0, and it's still evident today. The longer it takes for an update to push, the louder (and more toxic) people get.

Doesn't this community (or at least the part still complaining about this) have anything better to do than whine over a delay? There's hundreds of Starbound mods to toy with. There's plenty of other games to play. Is it really this difficult to just move on to other things until we get more news? Complaints isn't going to make 1.4 magically appear on our computers.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Kawa likes this.
  13. MidgetLover

MidgetLover Scruffy Nerf-Herder

so, if this update was a total failure, what's next?

14. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

The question is not that there are more games or things to do, I have dozens and dozens of games, and at my disposal many more that I can buy, but there are "favorite games" that each user has, and that tends to play with them even You have already finished the game, for many this game is your favorite and you expect to see news, that's why I paid for it.

The funny thing is that they make an excuse to pause the update, which does not make sense in this game, a game made and thought for the community to "make additions", if Chucklefish feels that the update feels like being added or added or whatever they want to call it. , then what are the mods that people do? They are the same...

The famous FU that both praises people, a mod so if I feel it as "attached", that and most of mods, that Chucklefish tell me that of the 1.4 is laughable, the Mechs do not feel that way? What is different about the bounty hunting system? was going to be an addition more like the mechs, that was going to give us more things to do, optional, nobody is forced to do them, just as nobody is forced to build a mech to take walks in space xD

15. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

(Reading this over, it's kinda long.. But eh. Not gonna waste time stitching a tl;dr. People wanting one likely wouldn't understand what I mean anyway... Just move along. Don't mind me.)

You want my total honesty?

I payed 15 dollars for an indie universal sandbox. In fact, it was a 15 dollars I had previously got refunding another game I didn't get much out of... I wasn't expecting much when I started, but the game surprised me. I got tons of fun out of it, and even ended uo getting into modding later on down the line because of how much I loved it (and wanted to make content for the community)

When 1.0 hit, I wasn't expecting much else. With the constant flaming going on at the time, I was expecting them to just pack their bags and move on to another project completely..
    But, lo and behold, they didn't go anywhere. We're at 1.3 at this point.

People don't realize what they are doing at this point is a bonus. We are past 1.0, the full release. They are not obligated to continue giving us these free content updates.. And yet, here we are. This is primarily the reason I don't give a hoot when we get bad news.

Even if they like wrote another devblog in a week or so telling us that development for the game is officially over? I still wouldn't care. I don't need a constant stream of updates to love a game. I buy it for the experience.. And if that experience happens to keep getting bigger? That's just a bonus.

The people thinking Chucklefish are "betraying" them somehow by not handling this game to their liking are being very immature.
    They're game developers, and publishers. They're not going to spend their every waking moment on a single project, and frankly, I'm glad they don't. I'm interested in several games they are publishing. (And definitely interested in their Witchbrook project...)

What's weird, is I can't help but feel ashamed at the fact I was the same way once.. Guess I'm just older now? I guess a smidge of entitlement develops alongside our love of a game... Who knows.

Either way, there's gonna come a day where I get burnt out on Starbound. Move on to other games entirely... (as will the rest of you.) That's to be expected. For now, I'm enjoying this game and this community while I'm still here. (Hopefully Pandora's Box will see a more complete form by then... Rofl)

EDIT: I obviously realize this will mostly fall on deaf ears. This thread will likely continue on for another several pages.. Or at least until another devblog comes and everybody shifts over to that.

I just hope that someday end users will have a bit more respect for the game developers that give us this stuff. They're not perfect, and they definitely make mistakes... But to treat them like scum when they do trip up is kinda dumb.

There's a big line between constructive feedback, and flaming... And there are many users that dance ridiculously close to the latter.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  16. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

That's something that the developers have to put up with, now you have Fallout 76, the news is a real bomb, they talk about an online game and people are already shitting them down, without knowing exactly what the game will be like, until the E3 conference is not known for sure, but people are already foaming at the mouth, as if they had the same rage as a dog xD

The problem that Chucklefish had was to announce one thing that they decided to cancel or pause, it is better not to say anything, yes, people will complain if they do not have news, but it is even better to the complaints that they have now for having paused an update so expected by the majority.

This is an endless loop xD

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I haven't read anything about this Fallout MMO, but I can see why people wouldn't like the idea of it...

1). Some people don't like how FO4 was "dumbed down", where you get only 4 emotional/yes-no responses to anything,
    2). Some of those people would have liked a new single-player Fallout that's not designed with stupid consoles in mind, a proper PC release that's not dumbed down.

And now they hear that the new Fallout is.... an MMO.

Not everybody wants an MMO, especially when MMOs tend to have subscription fees and all that. They just wanna pay their $60 and get their game on, but no, you can't do that with most MMOs. They don't want to have to pay $60 and then $15 every month to play and end up having to deal with other players.

That's the problems that you face when you try to shift genres in a franchise. You will have fans of the old genre(s) that won't like the new. Metroid saw something similar, my own cousin bashed the first Metroid Prime game because "I can't believe they'd make a 2d platformer into an FPS game!" despite the fact that I thought it was awesome when I tried it.

I heard similar when FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 came out... "Final Fantasy wasn't really meant to be an MMO...."

But yet, FFXI lives on to this day, some 16(?) years later, and while 1.0 of XIV failed, ARR was a smash hit and was quite popular for awhile and still is today.

My thoughts on a FO MMO?

I don't have time for another MMO, nor do I have the money so I'll pass, just like I passed on ESO.

Tamorr likes this.
  18. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I do not want to deviate the subject, but tampco wanted to create a thread to ask this question.

Do you know if there is a mod or method in the game to "trash objects" faster? when you have 30 things that drag to the trash becomes quite heavy.

I was looking at Google and I have seen many people asking about this topic, but I have not found if there is a mod or a faster method modifying something in the game to do this task.

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I think FU has an item that will instantly destroy an object without having to wait the 2 seconds for the item to get destroyed.

I'm sure this could be modded. Lemme look up how that works...

All you need to do is go to FU's Github Page, and look up the Incinerator. You'll need to look at the .object, the .config, and the .lua files having to do with it. It's found in objects\power\isn_incinerator\ .

I don't really know exactly how the LUA works, but it looks fairly short and simple. Basically what these 3 files do, is add an interactable object, that you can dump items into that are instantly destroyed.

From reading the LUA it sounds like basically every second, the device re-loads its item inventory (which is empty) which erases anything you put in there. So you put something in it, and a second later it reloads itself and your item is gone. This means you can keep shift+clicking stuff while you have its UI up and it'll just disappear.

davoker likes this.
  20. StarGazing123

StarGazing123 Space Hobo

Will there be an android version with like accounts and stuff to move the progress from the pc to android and android to pc (and xbox) please answer me