1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

The game is literally a "slideshow" (lots of lag), even with all the fixes I've tried.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by TheArcuzHunter, May 16, 2018.

1. TheArcuzHunter

TheArcuzHunter Void-Bound Voyager

I've been trying to play Starbound on a decent computer (not for gaming, but it runs low end 3D games perfectly), yet I cant get to play Starbound like I used to. On my laptop (which is literally worse than a potato, specifications wise) the game runs just fine! Not as slideshow-ish as the decent computer which is better than the laptop, even though I've tried these methods to fix the lag:
    1. Run as administrator, no changes.
    2. ctrl+alt+delete (ctrl+shift+esc) to open the task manager, all the cores were already enabled, tried disabling some, leaving others on and viceversa (the computer has 4 total) and I noticed that when running in 2 cores it is barely manageable, but the audio is terrible (all stuttery) and it still happens to be a "slideshow".
    3. Disabled Vsync in the starbound.config, game runs smoothly, but it still freezes like a "slideshow" every single minute for about 10 seconds.
    4. I tried looking for the "sbboot.cfg" file to change the "loadThreads" to 4 and the file wasnt there (looked through Starbound\win32 and Starbound\win64, the main starbound directory, and didnt find that file anywhere), here's the link to that post: https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/lag-and-slow-gameplay.104647/page-2
    5. tried changing the compatibility settings for the starbound.exe for both win64 and win32 in all ways, no changes.
    6. Tried changing the priority of the game's process, no changes.
    RECENT fix method I tried: 7: Tried renaming "starbound.exe” in the game’s folder with “starbound_opengl.exe”, no changes.

PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP. If you can share your sbboot.cfg file it would be much appreciated, thank you everyone.
    P.d: Im playing this non-steam.
    I also posted this problem in the Support section of this website.

I may have found the problem to why the "slideshow" lag is happening, and its due to the sky changing color or "time of the day" transitions, and it only happens in the transitions apparently when Im in the first planet when collecting core fragments.

I hope someone has a fix for my case, really bad, because I've played a lot of starbound before, with mods, but on another computer.

It would be much appreciated if someone could share their "sbboot.cfg" file that is located at "Starbound\win32", I really need 1 from anyone and it doesnt matter the method of download, please, anyone, save me with this

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2018
  2. HugeGuns

HugeGuns Scruffy Nerf-Herder

First of all, you should buy the game from Steam instead of pirating it. The pirated version may have missing/corrupted files, and it might be outdated.

Transition loading is normal, but extremely slow on HDDs. IIRC, Starbound loads more than just transitions on-the-fly though, so you might experience severe stutters instead of micro stutters.

In any case, get the game first, then report back.

TheArcuzHunter likes this.
  3. TheArcuzHunter

Yeah man lemme get money out of my non existent wallet, plus, I think I have the latest version of the game.

4. HugeGuns

HugeGuns Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's just part of the issue. No one here can help you because they do not have the "same" game as you.

For all we know, ChuckleFish could have implemented some "screw you" code for people who pirate the game. Which is why I advise you to buy the game instead.

I don't know how old you are, but it's only 12 dollars. Start saving up, or ask someone you know to buy it for you.

5. TheArcuzHunter

Im gonna guess you are right, so Im just gonna get the version that didnt stutter for me before to see if that was the problem, so thank you for the advice anyway.

Im guessing HugeGuns is right? No one has said anything other than him...

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2018
  6. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Please don't double-post. Use the edit button to expand posts instead of stacking multiple ones back-to-back.

As for your issue, if you're using an illegal version of the game you're not particularly entitled to receive technical support. And as HugeGuns said, the fact that you're using a pirated copy is likely a contributor to the problem.

7. TheArcuzHunter

I didnt, I posted this in the Discussion forum then another post on the Support Forum and someone moved the one on the discussion forum to the support forum which seems like I double posted which I didnt, because they are different forums.

Im using GOG version thank you, I used to play pirated but now I use a copy that my friend gave me, same issues.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
  8. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

Once again, please don't double post

The GOG version is supported but nowhere near as much as the Steam version. If you overwrote the pirated copy with the GOG version, this may also be a contributor, as the 2 versions may not be the same, resulting in files that shouldn't be there

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

your computer, which you even describe as a potato, is not very powerful. Your CPU is very weak, and Starbound is heavily reliant on it.

10. Jonesy

That's not what I meant by double-posting. I was referring to stacking two posts within a thread back-to-back instead of using the edit button to expand one. Like you just did again.

As for which version you're using, you should have clarified that earlier. You didn't make any attempt to deny using a pirated copy until now.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    TheArcuzHunter likes this.
  11. TheArcuzHunter

I as I said before, the desktop computer Im trying to run the game on is twice as better as the laptop I used to play the game before (CPU and RAM wise) and it didnt have the issues I have on the desktop computer.

Sorry, I used to play pirated before, but Im using a GOG (LEGAL) version now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2018
  12. lazarus78

1. STOP double posting. Its been said twice already.

2. So what exactly are the specs of the computer you are attempting to play on?

13. Jonesy

Whatever version you're using, you really need to stop double-posting. If you need to expand a post, use the edit button. Don't stack posts back-to-back. I shouldn't have to tell you this three times.

He's posted some of his specs as an attachment to the main post. Half of it's in Spanish or something, though.

14. lazarus78

If those are his specs, then my original post still stands, but he made it sound like they weren't.

15. TheArcuzHunter

I didnt know exactly what you meant, but if I have to put everything in 1 single post, then how am I supposed to reply to other replies from 2 or more different users?

*Im testing out the "editing" option to reply to several messages at the same time. Hopefully this is how you guys mean to prevent "double posting"* So, replying to Lazarus, I said earlier "The desktop computer Im trying to run the game on is twice as better as the laptop I used to play the game before (CPU and RAM wise) and it didnt have the issues I have on the desktop computer". Dont know if you overlooked it, My reply still stands, Im trying to play the game on a desktop computer that is twice as better as the laptop I used to play it on before, and the laptop didnt have the "slideshow" issue, even when the laptop is worse than the desktop computer.

I did not overwrite the pirated version with the GOG version, plus its a completely different computer that Im trying to play the game on. Just clarifying.

You make it sound like its a bad thing.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  16. Jonesy

You can quote multiple people in a single post, which I see you've figured out. Now, let's drop the double-posting discussion, now that you've worked out how to avoid it.

I wouldn't say 'bad', but it's not helpful to people who don't speak Spanish.

17. lazarus78

So are the specs in your initial post the specs of the computer you are trying to play on or not? If not, what are the specs of that computer?

18. TheArcuzHunter

Those were 1.5 GHZ (2 cores), and 2 GB of ram, 1.8 Usable. Intel HD graphics too (I'm talking about the laptop).
    So, comparing THIS computer (the desktop computer) that Im replying with is the one with 4 GB of ram (3.88 usable) , Intel celeron CPU J1900 1.99 GHz (x64 processor) , this one is better than the laptop which I just quoted as the laptop, and the laptop didn't have the "slideshow" issue. I am trying to play the game on the desktop computer, which DOES have the slideshow issue.

19. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

The strange thing is that you can play Starbound with any of these processors, they are weak for what this game demands, it pulls a lot of processor, that the graphics are pixelart type does not mean that it does not require a good processor, none of those 2 micros are good for this game.

In Spanish, because I deduce that at least you speak Spanish:

Si hablas Español como creo que hablas por tu imagen de las especificaciones, te aclaro mejor en este idioma, ninguno de esos micros que mencionas son buenos para este juego, pide mucho procesador, hace muchos procesos constantemente, lo raro es que con un micro jugaras bien y que con el otro mas potente tengas problemas, te recomenderia sinceramente que hagas "una instalacion limpia" del juego y que empieces una partida nueva, muchos datos se guardar en la carpeta "Storage", que es tu partida guardada vamos, si has andado cambiando entre version piratilla y version GOG oficial, si es que es verdad esto xD lo mejor es una instalacion limpia, ya sea de la version legal o de la otra, pero limpia, y empezar partida nueva y comprobar si ahora te va bien.

P.D : Responde en ingles tambien, si quieres responder en Español, aqui prima el ingles, asi que necesitan ver una respuesta en su idioma, y ya otra en Español si quieres para mi, mas comodo tambien xD

20. lazarus78

1.5Ghz what? That tells me nothing. Need the exact model number.