1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Missing/Corrupt Save File Troubleshooting Guide

Discussion in 'Support' started by ConcernedApe, Apr 7, 2016.

1. MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

I took a look, and it loads up fine in the Beta. Are you still using the Beta? If you're back in v1.2.33; it'll break due to the file being updated with new multiplayer related data.
    As for the in-game date; I see you're in late Summer, Year 3. Not 4 or 2.

If you're using Steam cloud sync; there's a chance it could've overwritten your save with an older version. I'm not sure if GOG has an equivalent cloud backup solution.
    So, if you're still in the Beta, and on Steam you could try verifying your files to make sure you're not missing something that'd be causing you to crash when loading your save

Instructions for verifying files:
    Right click Stardew Valley in your Steam Library.
    Then select 'Properties' from the popup.
    After that a new 'Properties' window should show up.
    Go to the 3rd tab, 'Local Files', and select; "Verify Integrity of Game Files".

• dankwonderkitten

dankwonderkitten Void-Bound Voyager

Verifying did the trick. Thank you!

MysticTempest likes this.
      • Trofo

Trofo Space Hobo

I played for some days in the beta and forgot to create a backup file, and when I try to load it shows a save with no name, money or time. I tried to upload it but it is too large for the server to process, though it's 3.200 KB. What can I do?

• MysticTempest

Hrm, hopefully it wasn't deleted. Are you still in the Beta? Saves that were played in the Beta, and resaved will not work in older versions of Stardew Valley(at least not without a large amount of manual fixing).
          And, 3.2kb is really small; that sounds more like the "SaveGameInfo" file.

Can you zip up the "Farmername_1234567" styled folder that is your save, and attach it here?

• Trofo

Trofo Space Hobo

I meant 3200 KB, not 3.2(my bad), and that's the thing, I try to attach the zip file to the message but it says "the uploaded file is too large for the server to process"

• MysticTempest

That's really odd, the forum shouldn't have any issues with that. It's still only a few megabytes. But, 3.2MB is definitely a more proper size for a save.

You can try uploading it to: http://www.tinyupload.com/
              Then share the link it gives you.

• Trofo

Trofo Space Hobo

• MysticTempest

Thanks, and no prob!

Your Beta save looked pretty good. So, I re-added the SaveGameInfo file; just to have as a backup. And, then made a copy, and converted your save back to v1.2.33.
                I did a quick test, and it works well even saving. But, if you come across any other issues let me know.

So, just unpack the zip, and choose the save folder you'd like to continue from based on which version of the game you're in.

Attached Files:

• Trofo

Trofo Space Hobo

I downloaded the files and started playing in the current version, I played for one day and everything worked, but i opened the chest that is to the right of my recycling machine and as soon as i hovered the mouse over the cork bobber that is inside, my game crashed, I restarted and it keeps happening, do you have an idea of why?

• MysticTempest

Ah, sorry bout that. I took a look, and it was the Garden Pot from the beta. Since it doesn't exist in v1.2; it caused those issues.
                    I went ahead, and removed it.

Attached Files:

• Trofo

Trofo Space Hobo

Thanks! It is working perfectly now.

MysticTempest likes this.
                      • ImmortalSamurai12

ImmortalSamurai12 Intergalactic Tourist

Can anyone help me with my beta save file? I can find it in the load menu but the character doesn't load correctly on the character potrait, and when I try to load the save, it just crashes after a few seconds of loading.

• MysticTempest

That sounds like you either opted out of the Beta, or Steam is causing some issues and you'll need to verify your Beta game files.
                          Beta saves loaded in v1.2.33 or older versions of Stardew won't work, and make the character look weird as well causing a crash when attempting to load the file.

• Trofo

Trofo Space Hobo

Ummm.... I found another problem , it's some sort of furniture inside my house, right next to my wife's room, and when i pick it up, the game crashes, can you fix it?

• MysticTempest

Ah, I see. ConcernedApe replaced some of his unused craftables sprites with some new game items. That's why it looked completely innocuous; like a normal chair.
                              Seems it used to be a "stone junimo".

Attached Files:

• TopNotchProcrastinator

TopNotchProcrastinator Intergalactic Tourist

I followed these instructions and replaced my "SaveGameInfo" file with one from another game, because my File #1 ends in "</SaveGame>", but the game still crashes when I try to load it. Originally the load screen showed my player as having starting gold and no time played, and after swapping the "SaveGameInfo" files out there's a duplicate entry for my other game. However, like I said it still crashes, so I have no idea what the problem is now. Can anyone help me out? :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2018
                                • Spearhorn

Spearhorn Space Hobo

Having the same problem as above, Saves both show up in menu but characters have no time played, starting money, unamed farms and no clothing customisation (or legs interestingly), though it does remember the characters names.
                                  Save file #1s look fine, haven't touched anything myself just booted the game up after a week away to find this, any advice?
                                  [​IMG]

• Blorp

Blorp Big Damn Hero

You have probably ended up on 1.2 again (with no co-op button on main menu). Make sure the beta branch is selected in the Steam options, and do the "verify integrity of game files". That should fix it.

• TopNotchProcrastinator

TopNotchProcrastinator Intergalactic Tourist

Oh my god, thank you so much!!!! IT WORKS. I'm so happy, thank you again!!! <3

• jennaarebee

jennaarebee Void-Bound Voyager

The issue I had was my beta disappeared and I didn't realize so I had to re-enter the beta code.