Modding Discussion Migrating XNB mods to Content Patcher packs

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Pathoschild, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fyn

Fyn Pangalactic Porcupine

If anyone has a lot of time on their hand, would anyone consider converting Garden Variety User Interface into a Content Pack?

I want to change the color of my UI to a gray/black, but I can't find any already converted CPs for it, and the Storm color in this is pretty much perfect.

There's too many changes in Cursors and MenuTiles for me to figure out, and I don't know how to do Overlay Content Packs, which is what this would need to be, since it edits Cursors.

• haywrites

haywrites Big Damn Hero

Howdy all!
      A few people have messaged me with their edits of my mods to work with Content Patcher. Now, I will admit, I don't quite understand it myself.
      Would any of you be willing to write for me a tutorial for how to install the mods for 1.3 and beyond? I will post it on my pages for Modnexus, and also give you credit for helping! (I'll also use it myself.)

The other thing is: one of the people who converted the mods have it as Editdata, while the another is LoadData. Which is method is preferred?

Also, this might finally make me create the one page for the mods going forward. Still not sure.

• flameofnight

flameofnight Void-Bound Voyager

This is by no means an exhaustive tutorial and I have no doubt someone will correct me, but essentially Content Patcher allows you to add data to xnb files without actually replacing the xnb entirely. To use Content Patcher you pretty much just need to grab it from the mod page and put it in your mods folder. Then each mod that's compatible with it will go into your mods folder separately.

I'll only talk about dialogue mods (& event mods) because those are the only ones I've messed with - for those, the structure of the mod itself just requires 2 files - a manifest.json and a content.json. The manifest file gives the description and identifies it as a Content Patcher mod, so that it can be found by Content Patcher. The content file contains the actual changes.

I'm the one who used EditData, and that method is preferred over Load because with Load, the mod will just use the xnb file that is included in place of the one that's in the Content folder. When the 1.3 update goes out xnb formats based on older versions won't be compatible anymore - I'm not signed up for the beta so I don't know if that means it simply won't load or it will actively crash the game. With EditData, the mod just adds the information you provide to the xnb file without replacing it or changing the basic structure. (It also removes the need to unpack/repack the xnbs when you want to make edits.)

If you've got formatting questions, I got a lot of that information from Pathoschild's github page for Content Patcher, which is linked to in the description for the mod. Actually that page probably answers all your questions more thoroughly than I could, haha.

cankersaur likes this.
        • acornfaerie

acornfaerie Void-Bound Voyager

There are a few overlapping/underlapping textures with some of the paintings and furniture, I'd have to check and see what ones exactly though, sorry!

Last edited: May 17, 2018
          • Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

If you can check which ones I'll fix them. May have been a derp on my part, as I had both furniture tilesheets in one document in photoshop and honestly I won't be surprised if I accidentally saved it like that.

@Kybble no update key is nothing to worry about. Just means smapi won't notify you of an update to that content pack. It's harmless.

@flameofnight LoadData is fine to use with something like a portrait mod, or sprite replacement if it's a complete thing. If the xnb is out of date in content patcher, it'll still load, but the game will be missing whatever got updated. For example if Pam got an extra portrait, it just won't appear if the CP used Load. EditData is much safer and mostly update proof (unless he rearranges tilesheets.) I use it in any pack I can get away with it in. It also means, as you said, no unpacking and packing of xnbs. For a tilesheets you can just shove the png in there and the mod does the work. I would explain more but I'm typing on my phone lol.

• acornfaerie

I fixed it, a few pixels were off in a couple of spots. :)

Attached Files:

• Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Thank you so much x.x I haven't had a chance to look at it because I'm at work :(

@Fyn I'll attempt it once I'm done updating Yellog's furniture. (He added some stuff, rip me.)

• acornfaerie

Let me know if you need any help with it! It's a lot of work to do haha.

• Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

I threw you a message for Yellog's stuff, but I think I can manage the UI interface alright, just lots of copying and pasting for the different colours.

• Amx

Amx Void-Bound Voyager

Somebody just got too much fun making these CP version. :lolwut:

*unofficial :fishbowl: [CP] Portrait-Accurate Alex : Original Source
                      *unofficial :fishbowl: [CP] Refined Emily, Abigail and Maru Portraits : Original Source
                      *unofficial :fishbowl: [CP] Haley Off-The-Shoulder Dress : Original Source
                      *unofficial :fishbowl: [CP] Tweaked Penny Portrait : Original Source
                      *unofficial :fishbowl: [CP] Crioulo horse : Original Source

***The OC of the mod is allowed to take this file and upload it on their official page if they wish.
                      You may PM me to have the unofficial port removed if you wish.

Attached Files:

Medicell, macaro0n and junali like this.
                      • Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
                      • Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

This took me FAR too long, but here you go.

• demideerling

demideerling Void-Bound Voyager

• Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Ohhh. Fuck.

Edit: Does this work?

Also just noticed in a fresh game, the beds currently do this and I have no idea why. The code seems to be written correctly....
                          [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
                          • Shalassa

Shalassa Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for the conversion.
                            However, some of my furniture look like they have the old and the new texture in them.
                            [​IMG]

Edit: Nevermind, your new version fixes that issue.

• mag-fish

mag-fish Orbital Explorer

A friend was looking for it, so I figured a few of you might be as well! I made Eemie's Seasonal Victorian Buildings into a content pack! I'm not quite sure how to incorporate the flowers (I really have almost no idea what I'm doing here) so if anyone wants to tackle that part please feel free. :)

***The OC of the mod is allowed to take this file and upload it on their official page.
                              You may PM me to have the unofficial port removed!

[CP] Unofficial Eemie's Seasonal Victorian Buildings (original source!)

Attached Files:

gosarahnicole and plashy like this.
                              • acornfaerie

Unofficial CP of strawberrymilk95's Witchy Gothic Interior. You can choose from pastel colour scheme, dark colour scheme and fancy dark colour scheme. Also added fancyalternative (fancy furniture with bonsai trees and wall antlers) and darkalternative (dark colour scheme with bonsai trees and wall antlers). You can change which one in the config file.
                                And while I'm at it, here's the Witchy Gothic Buildings and Craftables to match the interior.
                                *The OC of the mod is allowed to take this file and upload it on their official page if they wish. You may PM me to have the unofficial port removed if you wish.*

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2018
                                  lylo, Cutiebbunie, nubian5989 and 6 others like this.
                                • Fyn

Fyn Pangalactic Porcupine

Still using it, but does anyone know if the original mod had the text of items/etc. not be color corrected as well?

For instance, this is what it looks like when you mouse over an item:

Untitled.png

The text shadow is still a shade of brown, as you can see. I can get over the "Load Game" screen and "Loading Bar" being off, but this is driving me bonkers. Lol.

• Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Yep. The original one did do that. Its why I never used it and just stuck to the vintage interface...

• acornfaerie

Even the vintage interface mod has a strange brown text shadow :\

I downloaded the new version you posted and the bed looks fine, at least with the second house upgrade. Maybe it's an error on the OC's part? Dunno, checked the code too and looks perfect!

Thread Status:
                                      Not open for further replies.