Flower pots for flower honey?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ToriTheVictoria, May 12, 2018.

1. ToriTheVictoria

ToriTheVictoria Seal Broken

Does anyone know if flower honey still spawns when the flowers are placed in pots? It would be great because with forest farm, there's not much space to plant, and you could put the flower pots over the grass.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

It’ll still only grow in season flowers outside but I’ll be happy to test it out and know for sure if it works. Stay tuned.

First report: Sprinklers won't water flowerpots no matter where they are at.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
      • margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

I've just tested this, and sadly, a blue jazz in a Garden Pot didn't give me Blue Jazz honey. Only wild honey. :(

Git Gud Fox and nevyn21 like this.
        • ToriTheVictoria

ToriTheVictoria Seal Broken

oh dang i wanted to maximise my profits lol.
          thanks for the help!!

nevyn21 and margotbean like this.
          • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I did catch screenshots of the sprinklers not watering flowerpots in various locations. Here's the Greenhouse:

greenhouse sprinklers.png

• Git Gud Fox

Git Gud Fox Star Wrangler

I wonder if that's a bug or an oversight. It feels like flowers should upgrade honey, pot or dirt.

• everfreefire

everfreefire Big Damn Hero

It feels like one, especially since bee hives don't work in the greenhouse anyways, there's no reason to not let potted flowers affect bee hives that I can think of.

Git Gud Fox likes this.
                • Git Gud Fox

And even if they did work in the green house, it's not like "ZOMG 24/7 YEAR ROUND FAIRY ROSE HONEY" is going to break the game. Personally, I think it'd be more of a clever use of game mechanics that would feel satisfying to execute.

I imagine it's one of those "under the radar" issues that will get addressed later on.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Just to do a bit of number crunching to back up your assessment...

Assuming bee houses DID work in the greenhouse, and you had a Fairy Rose available somehow for every growable square, so that every bee house produces Fairy Rose Honey every four days...

Fairy Rose Honey is 952g/ea (assuming Artisan), which breaks down to 238g/day. Ancient Fruit processed into Ancient Wine is 2310g/week which breaks down to 330g/day. This is irrespective of needing to replace some bee houses for flowers and sprinklers to keep the flowers watered, and irrespective of the fact that you can't walk through bee houses like you can ancient fruit. So, just looking at the basics, fairy rose honey is not as profitable per square as ancient fruit in your greenhouse, even assuming it would a) work, b) could be replaced on a one for one basis, and c) could somehow be collected despite not being able to walk through them.

• Git Gud Fox

This has nothing to do with what you just said, but I once had a dream that the reason why ancient fruit are fossilized is because they were a vicious species of plant life from prehistoric times that had to be locked away by prehistoric wizards, and now that they have been reconstituted and exist in a time frame where the environment isn't as... jurassic as it was in the past, they'll be the apex predators of our time, and it's all because the player planted one that conveniently grew successfully.

I didn't get much sleep that night. You always remember your dreams if you aren't sleeping well.

Erick648 likes this.
                      • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Plant me... what could possibly go wrong? :)

[​IMG]

guitardude_324 and Git Gud Fox like this.
                        • Clovis_Sangrail

Clovis_Sangrail Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've got over 200 bee houses on my forest farm. Set them up just south of the greenhouse, and I still have more crop land than I care to paintin and plant and harvest.

I also planted tons of fruit trees in that space in the middle where no crops grow.

Between the wild honey the bees produce at the start of each season (until the flowers bloom), and the fruit trees, and the greenhouse and the few (only 160) crop squares, I manage to keep my kegs and preserves jars busy and generate enough cash that I can take off whenever I want to go fishing or head to the mines.

I'm not sure I can find a use for potted plants, except maybe to grow my morning coffee.