Persistent Multiplayer Farm?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fudge5962, May 12, 2018.

1. fudge5962

fudge5962 Phantasmal Quasar

Anybody else kinda disappointed that the MP farm is not a persistent farm that any of the players involved with can access at any time?

If I host a farm, it's my farm, and the other players are just helpers. They can't jump in and make changes while I'm away, they can't start it up and invite me when I get on, and if I crash then everything is lost.

I would love to see an option for a dedicated server that hosts the farm and any serverside mods.

Sugar-Fable likes this.
    • Myrkana

Myrkana Void-Bound Voyager

it wouldn't work for this game... Your plants would never bear fruit because half the season would go by while you're offline,.

• Git Gud Fox

Git Gud Fox Star Wrangler

I think a legit, fully persistent, mode would be more of a Stardew Valley 2 area since the mechanics of the game would have to change while everyone is offline. You wouldn't want to blow past a whole season while you're sleeping IRL.

That said, allowing any player to start up the file, not just the host, seems plausible.

• UnderLust_Sins

UnderLust_Sins Void-Bound Voyager

Don't know where else to post this issue. Anyone else having issues with hosting farms on multiplayer?

My problem is this- I go to host a farm for multiplayer, and it makes me make a new farm and character. THEN when I save that file and exit to the main menu, and TRY to reopen that same farm in Host new farm it does not show that farm there. It shows it in the singleplayer mode, but not for multiplayer for hosting a farm. It forces me to make a new farm and character each time I go into Host game, even if I deleated files previously.

• fudge5962

fudge5962 Phantasmal Quasar

I think it would be fairly easy to dictate that while no player is active, time does not progress. Time can already be stopped by pausing or via mods, so the functionality is there.

Git Gud Fox likes this.
            • Git Gud Fox

Git Gud Fox Star Wrangler

I agree with that. I'm an MMORPG player, so when I think of "persistent" I think of it running 24/7 even if no one is on. That is what I meant by "legit" persistence. Halting time while no one is on I think is simple enough.

• blOgre

blOgre Star Wrangler

Probably can post in multiplayer or support.

My immediate guess though is when you're making a new farm you aren't adding any cabins (left side of character creation, for whatever reason defaults 0).

If you have Robin build you some farmhand cabins in an existing save, that save should show up in coop list.

If you already have some though it may be a bug, but this would be the first I've heard of it.

• The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

In order for persistent world to happen, you would have to have a dedicated server.
                  Dedicated servers would require you to pay a monthly fee to rent, if you don't have one of your own.

Persistent servers also wouldn't make much sense in a game where days continuously pass and not watering for a day would result in plants dying.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Best place to post this is in the Support forum, which the developer reads.