What's your guys favourite thing about Stardew Valley?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by samthepokebro, May 11, 2018.

1. samthepokebro

samthepokebro Intergalactic Tourist

Just wondering what your guys favourite things are about this amazing game :)

• Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

i love the hat mouse.

hiyo, poke. you bring coines? gud. me sell hats.

ladymurasaki and samthepokebro like this.
      • samthepokebro

samthepokebro Intergalactic Tourist

Haven't seen it yet!

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

He'll snail mail you once you've done something to get a hat.

I think my personal favorite thing is Abigail and her dragon-like tendencies (that being she apparently eats amethysts, if you give her one she says "how'd you know I was hungry?") with a close second being there's no "right way" to play this game, whatever your play style is will work.

samthepokebro likes this.
          • Git Gud Fox

Git Gud Fox Star Wrangler

I like the philosophical concept the game is suggesting subliminally. The game itself is doing what the intro is. It's a 1 man development breaking out of the routine mass production way of creating games to strike out on his own and make things on his own terms.

That's exactly what you are doing in Stardew Valley. It fulfills the primal desire to be free and feel like the reigns of your life are back in your hands instead of society's.

BentFX and samthepokebro like this.
            • Venatio777

Venatio777 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I suppose cultivating the land you're given and seeing it grow into a thriving enterprise is a big part of the game's enjoyment - at least for me. I thought I would enjoy building relationships with the npc in town, and with a future spouse, but the game's time constraints force me to choose one thing to do, especially year 1, whether that's gather money or focus on getting Community Center Goods.

I can't count the number of times I would have been hitting my stride getting through the mines when I realize it's almost my bedtime. I quite enjoy gathering resources in general to fuel new projects.

samthepokebro likes this.
              • parabolic paradise

parabolic paradise Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like all the space you're given to work with, and that it's actually feasible to do so with just the right level of built-in automation. I don't actually make big mega-farms, but being able to set everything up in an aesthetically pleasing way, have enough crops to suit my liking, and not feel like I'm too busy to go off and do things on a whim is pretty great! Too often in other games in the genre I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the farmwork I have, and lacking in space to get things just the way I want them.

Yaushibee and Venatio777 like this.
                • O-Castitatis-Lilium

O-Castitatis-Lilium Void-Bound Voyager

My favorite thing about Stardew valley is just how much is in it, and all the potential to add more to it. I love all the types of crops I can have, all the different types of animals you can have, the wide range of artisan produce you can make, on top of the mining and combat. there is just so much depth to it, and yet somehow; there is room for even more. it's exciting to play and it's exciting to see what will come from it eventually. I know the creator has said that he doesn't think there will be more added to the game, but I do hope there will be, as there are many other crops, animals, produce, or even other things like that you could add; without adding new areas to my map.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

The lovely seasonal atmospheres. Every season has little touches-- butterflies bursting from trees in Spring, fireflies haunting the woods in Summer, gusting winds that scatter leaves in the Fall, the crunch of snow underfoot in the Winter-- that make them come alive. Even a few scattered reminders of wildlife here and there. The game has a near-perfect balance of aesthetics with gameplay. There is the versatility of crafting and professions, and you can make the game as intense or relaxed as you want depending on your own personal goals.

• Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I'll second this. I don't really play games super hardcore like I used to. Having a game I can relax in is really nice. Just doing some small chores around the farm and saying hi to villagers without stressing about making tons of money or something really appeals to me.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

We had a player who mentioned in a thread that his little brother played SDV simply to pet his dog, and plant and water a single seed every day. That was all. And he was perfectly happy doing this. It's an extreme example, but the point that you can mold the gameworld to fit a wide set of goals is, for me, one of its greatest attractions.

And even so, doing that wouldn't be fun if CA hadn't built such an atmospheric world, filled with quirky touches and rich personality.

Stryder87 likes this.
                        • Arlem

Arlem Void-Bound Voyager

I love the feeling of calmness that washes over me whenever I play SV. I love the soundtracks too, but the relaxing feeling and a small smile on my face are the best feelings ever. I usually play SV after school and it calms me down a lot.

• Naruchii

Naruchii Void-Bound Voyager

My favorite thing about Stardew Valley is the vast freedom and possibilities it offers to us without ever losing its uniqueness..
                            We are never "just" a Farmer in SV.. We are so much more in a way that we want to be..
                            Whether you playing it vanilla-ways or with mods you can see the uniqueness of this game without being chained or dictated by only one thing..
                            The NPCs also have depth in their character that we could explore more and even tweak it with mods..

I cannot explain my love for this game really well.. tho the point is that.. I love how SV let me to be me in this game.. and no matter how silly I get SV will still hold my hands the entire time and giving me those freedom of possibilities :lickitung:

• Larindel

Larindel Poptop Tamer

I love the peaceful little town and the people, who seem to be quite "normal" and "real" to me, because all of them have their little (or bigger) problems, fears, good and bad sides - just like the villagers here, where I live IRL.
                              Also the freedom to do whatever you want is great. You can focus on crops, animals, mining/combat, fishing, foraging ... or everything at once.

• Dark_Yehn

Dark_Yehn Void-Bound Voyager

When the work is done, the animals content and the bees are buzzing, that time to ride in the forest. The race the train to read the graffiti, never mind the gifts that might fall from the wagons.

As for the WASD skills in a non-competitive environment, un-hacked environment, that's just a bonus. Hurray for non-quantifiable idle time.

• boudicathebrave

boudicathebrave Orbital Explorer

I love the soundscape. The music, the weather sounds, the horse trotting, the animals, the walking sounds on different terrains, those weird "wet croaks" that are really alarming the first couple of seasons until you realize nothing terrible is going to happen to you.

• bsctgod

bsctgod Void-Bound Voyager

Doing the bundles. I can't see myself ever going to the dark side with Jojomart. Also the traveling cart twice a week.

boudicathebrave likes this.
                                    • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

it's a tie for me, i can farm to my heart's content without some random catastrophe ruining all my work and i can electivly choose to spend all day loafing around and picking up useless junk if i dont feel like being responsible without getting put down by the game for it

• Chefpief

Chefpief Subatomic Cosmonaut

Autumn is my favourite season both in game and IRL, and it just so happens that autumn ingame has the best sound effects and music.

• CozyPoo

CozyPoo Seal Broken

I like the combat, it's simple enough to make it easy to learn and reminds me a lot of the top-down view Zelda games.

I hope that it's expanded upon in future updates. I understand it's not the main thing of Stardew Valley and also get that some people wouldn't play the game if it revolved around fighting. Still, it'd be cool to see some post-grandpa evaluation quests or challenges to bring it up a notch with new monsters and/or dungeons, in this way it wouldn't be something forced to complete.