1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Missing/Corrupt Save File Troubleshooting Guide

Discussion in 'Support' started by ConcernedApe, Apr 7, 2016.

1. agnrygmr

agnrygmr Space Spelunker

I tried to follow the instructions but my corrupted file doesn't have a section named GameLocation xsi. What do I do now?

• Ebra

Ebra Space Hobo

Hi all,
      can someone fix my save file, whenever i try to load it brings me back to title again.(i really want to continue playing the game.)
      Appreciate your helps.
      thanks ion advance.

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

I took a look at your save & the reason you're having that issue was due to the fact you used the unofficial multiplayer mod. It adds extra farmhouse & cellar data for your partner. After removing their data, your game loads up fine.

Attached Files:

Ebra likes this.
        • Ebra

Ebra Space Hobo

OMG! you fixed it! thanks alot mate i thought i never will play the game again, its really working now many thanks!

MysticTempest likes this.
          • VegasRedStar

VegasRedStar Void-Bound Voyager

It seems like if the host's save files don't match the files on their partner's computer the game will crash. That is to say, the game is reading people's saved files incorrectly, so it's crashing. A clue to this was that my friend opened their saved games and all MY save files were listed in his saved games, (along with his,) yet those save files contained all the games I'd previously deleted as well. Idk if the game is reading old files, or merging all save files, or if the data isn't merging right, or if there's a backup being read of old deleted files, but I hope that lends a clue to the issue. I'm sorry I don't have the logs, or images. :catcry:

• VegasRedStar

VegasRedStar Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry, I figured it out. Apparently my saved files never actually deleted from the folders. I deleted them in game, and they stopped showing up in game, but they were still in the folder lol I just had to manually go into the folder and delete the old character files that I'd deleted, so that the files didn't reflect over the LAN onto my friend's computer somehow... Idk lol Those files never got removed from the folder when I deleted them and weren't showing up on my computer, but were somehow transferring over to my friend's... I don't know how that's possible... it's like they were...
              GHOST FILES! lol :boo:

• pundone

pundone Aquatic Astronaut

I have tried everything on the list but still can't get it to work.

I get this error message in SMAPI:

[game] System.InvalidOperationException
                [SMAPI] An error occured in the overridden update loop: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
                at StardewValley.SaveGame.<getLoadEnumerator>d__55.MoveNext() in C:\Users\gitlab-runner\gitlab-runner\builds\5c0f9387\0\chucklefish\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 0
                at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateTitleScreen(GameTime time) in C:\Users\gitlab-runner\gitlab-runner\builds\5c0f9387\0\chucklefish\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3152
                at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\Users\gitlab-runner\gitlab-runner\builds\5c0f9387\0\chucklefish\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 2355
                at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SGame.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\SGame.cs:line 242

I upload my save here please help :)

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

Give this file a try.
                  It seems the game saved the data for your animals to the wrong section of the save file. Instead of saving them inside the barn data section like normal, it used the other "<animals>" tag directly underneath the farm data. By default the animal tag directly under the farm seems to be blank; so from what I can see, that was the cause of the error.

Anyway, it loads up fine on my end now; but let me know if you have further issues!

Attached Files:

• pundone

pundone Aquatic Astronaut

That did the job! Thousand of thanks to you Mystic!

• jennjrome

jennjrome Tentacle Wrangler

Hello! I recently tried out the beta, and when I attempted to return to normal game it corrupted my 160+ hour file. It shows a default looking character with my right character name, no play time, and no farm name, and when I try to open it it crashes the game. I looked into the file and found "save game" at the end but can't locate things like game location xsi. Is there any hope? I'd really appreciate some help!

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

First off, the Beta heavily modifies savefiles with new data; so they're definitely NOT backwards compatible. If you only played a single in-game day; you might be able to roll back the day using the backup the game creates.
                        Though I only saw your main save in the file you uploaded. So, if you played more than a couple days, I'd recommend keeping your current save as a backup as it's already ready for the multiplayer update, and will be a more accurate conversion once the Beta is done.

That being said; I made an attempt to clear out all the new data from your save. I got it to load again in v1.2.33 of the game, but I only really tested wandering around your house/farm. Give it a try, and if you do experience further issues I can try and take another look.

Attached Files:

• hoshikuma_chan

hoshikuma_chan Void-Bound Voyager

I'm also having the getting kicked back to the title screen issue. I've already tried messing with the files myself, and attempting to roll back the day to no avail. ;; This only happens with my year 2 file and it does not look like it's corrupt.

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

I took a look and loaded your save up in the Beta, and v1.2.33 without issue. So, it might be your gamefiles that are broke. I'd check those out by having Steam verify them.

Instructions for verifying files:
                            Right click Stardew Valley in your Steam Library.
                            Then select 'Properties' from the popup.
                            After that a new 'Properties' window should show up.
                            Go to the 3rd tab, 'Local Files', and select; "Verify Integrity of Game Files".

• hoshikuma_chan

hoshikuma_chan Void-Bound Voyager

I did that twice before along with reinstalling the game twice as well. A third time seems to have fixed whatever issue there was with the files! Thank you for looking at it though, I might just have to 'check' the files several times before it gets to working again.

• jennjrome

jennjrome Tentacle Wrangler

Thank you so much, everything seems to be working well!

• Juice_Bravo

Juice_Bravo Space Hobo

Can anyone help me fix my corrupted file, I was planning to use it to test the beta but I forgot that I messed around withe file a while back and couldn't get to open so if anyone could help it would be appreciated because it have about 50+ hours in that file.

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

You had an assortment of backed up save data. I found the most recent full data file; renamed it, and cleared out the rest. It loads up fine now.

Attached Files:

• Juice_Bravo

Juice_Bravo Space Hobo

Shoot thank you so much

• Arculen

Arculen Space Hobo

I am so glad I bought this game and put 17 hours into it only to have my game data just end up deleting itself. Of course I checked my %appdata% folder and my "save file" is blank. ANd there is no Savegame line in the _old save file. There should be no post about how to "recover" a lost account, if you release this game, THEN MY SAVE FILE SHOULD SAVE AND NOT RANDOMLY DELETE, WTF?! Thanks for taking my money, I will NOT be playing your game anymore if I am just going to randomly lose all my time, screw that, fix your game.

Why should I bother playing id all of my data can randomly be erased? The game has been out since 2016 and randomly deleting save files is still an issue? seriously? Maybe let us save to a SLOT because its 2018 and NOT have it be ONE SINGLE save file like an old snes game. THis would Literally fix the problem. Just saying.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
                                        • dankwonderkitten

dankwonderkitten Void-Bound Voyager

can anyone have a look at mine and see what's up? it says I'm in year 2 but I was on year 4 the other day and it was fine up until yesterday. if I try to load the file it kicks me back to the main screen.

Attached Files: