1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Save File Editing Guide (For solving some common issues)

Discussion in 'Support' started by ConcernedApe, Mar 19, 2016.

1. MtsMB

MtsMB Tentacle Wrangler

Thankyu very much! I'll try to delete... thanks again! (I've attached my save that's crashing)

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

I only saw one recycling machine that was placed down outside, the other one is in one of your chests.
      In case you need help removing it, here's an edited save.

Attached Files:

mavisvalventini and MtsMB like this.
      • MtsMB

MtsMB Tentacle Wrangler

Exactly!! I only had one that was out of the house... Thanks Mystic, thanks for the help, for the quick reply! <3

Edit: I just tested, and it's working perfectly! And I still have the machine! Incredible, thanks!!!

MysticTempest likes this.
        • mavisvalventini

mavisvalventini Aquatic Astronaut

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

No prob! ^-^
          Per your earlier post; I went ahead and fixed the pet data. As well replacing your dog Lucky, with a Cat named Butterscotch.
          I only did that for the current day's save though; on your old save I fixed the data, but left it as your dog.

Just in case you change your mind; you can roll back. If not play as usual, and the game will overwrite it normally the first time you save.

Attached Files:

mavisvalventini likes this.
          • mavisvalventini

Thanks SO MUCH! You're a lifesaver! <3 So about this new file... am i supposed to replace my current one? With the new file you sent me?

• MysticTempest

No prob!
              Yea, either replace the file you sent me(Mavis_178465834). Or delete your copy of the save folder named "Mavis_178465834", and replace it with the one I provided you; which includes everything a regular save needs.

• mavisvalventini

Thanks! I'll try it right away and replace my files! I'll report back soon!

Update: IT WORKED OMFG IT WORKED!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU! I CAN PLAY AGAIN! THHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I also finally have a cat! :3 also, also, what did I do wrong that corrupted my save file anyway???? Some explaination would be nice so that I can prevent this accident from happening in the future c: and again thanks so much, God bless you MysticTempest <3 !

Last edited: May 5, 2018
                • MysticTempest

No prob; I'm glad I could help! ^-^

And, sure here's a quick rundown.
                  You had it pretty close! But, you needed to remove the ">" after NPC instead of breaking apart the code. And, having the "xsi type Dog" line; open, and with only one angle bracket was causing your "back to title" issue.

Your version:
                  Code:
                    <NPC>
                    xsi:type="Dog">
                    <name>Lucky</name>

Corrected version:
                  Code:
                    <NPC xsi:type="Cat">
                    <name>Butterscotch</name>

See how the NPC and xsi type section are together in the bottom code sample? That's how it was needed.

There was also one more addition you needed to change.
                  Further up in the save is another code switch for pets. This one determines the icon you see when you open up the inventory.

For those with dogs it's set to "false".
                  Code:
                  <catPerson>false</catPerson>

While those with cats have it set to "true".
                  Code:
                  <catPerson>true</catPerson>

Last edited: May 5, 2018
                    mavisvalventini likes this.
                  • mavisvalventini

Ah I see! Thanks so much! can't believe such a tiny thing could cause so much anxiety and trouble :p No wonder coding is so gosh dang diddly darn hard!

• RPGAngel

RPGAngel Phantasmal Quasar

Hello, I have a question. I have a save that is almost to it's 3rd year, married with a kid and a LOT of stuff done. I would love to keep it and maybe use it for multiplayer but there is a problem. I used a lot of modes with it. I now do not have any mods as the friends I'm doing multiplayer with don't have them. The save is fine for the most part except now I have things where they shouldn't be, like in the greenhouse there are trees where I can't get to them. I also(I know this can't be fixed without putting the mod back, getting the items, then removing it again) lost access to a lot of stuff I had in places put in by mods(the cave and basement/attic of the house), which I might see about fixing later. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to use save editing to get rid of the stuff that's in the wrong places. I will upload my save if that will help. Had to zip it to upload it, that folder has both the file with the character's name and the one called save info plus the _old ones in it.

I also would like to learn more about save editing so I could do stuff on a newer save like change the amount of an item in my inventory(like how much hardwood I have) or the type of item(like changing a tool) from copper or silver to iridium). I've learned some of the easier stuff like money but don't know yet how to do this stuff.

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

Hey RPGAngel, I took a quick look. Fixing the Greenhouse wasn't too hard, as I can see the trees & crops in-game pretty easily.
                        I also only saw 3 fruit in the cave data, but they were offscreen so I made them accessible. If there's anything else missing from the cave, it might be saved somewhere else, so using the mod again would be helpful.

But, as you mention having the mods back in use to access the basement/attic additions of the farmhouse would be the easiest way to fix those.
                        Mostly because, I'm not too familiar with how those mods store the extra locations; I'd probably have to manually check your farmhouse data for discrepancies from what I see in-game. That'd take quite a while.

In terms of learning well there's a lot. But, for now I'll answer your two specific questions.

A little pre-requisite first. I'd recommend getting a nice editor.
                        Something like one of these
                        Windows: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
                        Linux, Mac, Windows: https://www.geany.org/

And, then look for the "XML Pretty Print/er" plugin. It should show up in the downloads section of the plugin tab.
                        Using that plugin will help format your saves quite nicely for editing.
                        -------------------

First up editing the stack amount. Here we're using the stack of wood in your inventory as an example. This is a very simplified example of what you'll see in your save.
                        There'll be a lot more miscellaneous data, but you need to navigate to the "<items>" section under your "player" section. It'll be near the top.
                        Then search for the item you want to edit.

Note, not all items stack(ie, furniture, machines, etc); so be careful not to mess with those. If you wanted another of those. You'd have to copy the item data into an empty slot which looks like so.
                        Code:
                        <Item xsi:nil="true" />

Now you only need to edit the 2nd "stack" variable, but I'd get in the habit of editing both as a form of double checking your work.

Code:
                        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                        <SaveGame xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
                          <player>
                          <name>Angel</name>
                          <Position>
                          <questLog>
                          <professions>
                          <experiencePoints>
                          <items>

#This section is your player inventory.

<Item xsi:type="Object">
                          <category>-16</category>
                          <name>Wood</name>
                          <parentSheetIndex>388</parentSheetIndex>
                          <specialItem>false</specialItem>
                          <hasBeenInInventory>true</hasBeenInInventory>
                          <SpecialVariable>0</SpecialVariable>
                          <Category>-16</Category>
                          <ParentSheetIndex>388</ParentSheetIndex>
                          <DisplayName>Wood</DisplayName>
                          <Name>Wood</Name>
                          <Stack>776</Stack>
                          <tileLocation>
                          <X>0</X>
                          <Y>0</Y>
                          </tileLocation>
                          <owner>0</owner>
                          <type>Basic</type>
                          <canBeSetDown>true</canBeSetDown>
                          <canBeGrabbed>true</canBeGrabbed>
                          <isHoedirt>false</isHoedirt>
                          <isSpawnedObject>false</isSpawnedObject>
                          <questItem>false</questItem>
                          <questId>0</questId>
                          <isOn>true</isOn>
                          <fragility>0</fragility>
                          <price>2</price>
                          <edibility>-300</edibility>
                          <stack>776</stack>  #This line here is where you edit the number of items you want.
                          <quality>0</quality>
                          <bigCraftable>false</bigCraftable>
                          <setOutdoors>false</setOutdoors>
                          <setIndoors>false</setIndoors>
                          <readyForHarvest>false</readyForHarvest>
                          <showNextIndex>false</showNextIndex>
                          <flipped>false</flipped>
                          <hasBeenPickedUpByFarmer>true</hasBeenPickedUpByFarmer>
                          <isRecipe>false</isRecipe>
                          <isLamp>false</isLamp>
                          <minutesUntilReady>0</minutesUntilReady>
                          <boundingBox>
                          <X>0</X>
                          <Y>0</Y>
                          <Width>64</Width>
                          <Height>64</Height>
                          <Location>
                          <X>0</X>
                          <Y>0</Y>
                          </Location>
                          </boundingBox>
                          <scale>
                          <X>0</X>
                          <Y>0</Y>
                          </scale>
                          <preservedParentSheetIndex>0</preservedParentSheetIndex>
                          </Item>

</items>

Tools are more complicated, and kind of a pain to upgrade manually. Do it once, and you won't want to do it again manually. I'd really recommend just using "CJB Item Spawner" for that.
                        The basic tools have a variable for their upgrade level, which if that's the only thing you edit will give them the power of their upgraded counterparts.
                        But, you also have to update their sprites if you're going to do it correctly.
                        Since tools have their own sprite sheet. You'd have to unpack that, and then use it as a cross-reference.
                        Plus you also have some differences between the data for fishing rods, and regular tools. It's quite tedious.

Here's the upgrade levels if you want to play with that. I can still message you about the tools if you want; it's just save editing them in by hand isn't something I'd recommend.

Upgrade levels:
                        0 basic
                        1 copper
                        2 steel
                        3 gold
                        4 iridium

Attached Files:

• RPGAngel

Thank you for your help and for fixing my save. I'll see about using the mods to get my stuff back later. I won't need to do the fridge one as I noticed that if I pull out an item leaving an empty slot it will pull up an item from when the fridge was bigger. So if I just keep pulling stuff out I'll eventually get all of that back. As for the save editing, that info on stack modifying will really help me, thanks! I think I might not mess with the tools though, since I am still new to this. I did figure out how to change the quality of an item earlier though. I had missed the quality parsnips for the quality bundle so tried changing some regular ones I had and it worked! I mainly want the quantity thing for items that are a pain to collect enough of, like the hardwood. Thanks again for all the help!

• Shownder

Shownder Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hoping someone can help us out. We're using the multiplayer beta and Willie somehow got messed up? We started a game with 3 of us, and all 3 had the letter and beach event to get our rods. Then I built a 4th house so another friend could play. A few in game days later we noticed we can't interact with WIllie anymore.

His shop has gone back to saying "Gone Fishing Back Tomorrow" all the time, yet he still has his normal routine of walking around and fishing on the dock. But our 4th friend can't initiate the event to get his rod, and Willie's store is stuck being closed.

I removed the Event ID for the beach scene from the 3 of us. But I think there must be a hidden event that gets us the letter that invites us to the beach to trigger the scene? Anyone know what event ID that is?

ChronicleEye likes this.
                            • MysticTempest

You get a letter on the 2nd of Spring, Year 1 which generates the quest to go see him at the beach.
                              If you already removed the eventID, then you'll need to do the following.
                              (Obviously backup your save before progressing.)

First search the save for "<mailReceived>". You should see something like the following code; with an assortment of strings.
                              Code:
                              <mailReceived>
                                <string>button_tut_1</string>
                                <string>button_tut_2</string>
                                <string>spring_2_1</string>
                                <string>NOQUEST_13</string>
                                <string>landslideDone</string>
                                <string>Caroline_Introduction</string>
                              </mailReceived>

You need to delete the following 2 lines. The 'spring_2_1' is the actual letter you receive. While the "NOQUEST_13" is the completed quest marker for visiting Willy, and acquiring the fishing rod.

Code:
                              <string>NOQUEST_13</string>

Then after the "mailReceived" section. You need to head to the "<mailbox>" section. And, re-add the "spring_2_1" string you deleted previously. You may or may not see other strings; those are all the letters you will see in your mailbox when you load your save.

Code:
                              <mailbox>
                                <string>JodiCooking</string>
                                <string>LinusCooking</string>
                              </mailbox>

As with the events data, there are multiple sections for host, & farmhands. So make sure you fix that for each person. But, doing the above will reset the Willy related stuff.

MtsMB likes this.
                              • Norvos77

Norvos77 Space Hobo

Hello, I have the next problem. I downloaded the beta and then I decided to wait until the release of the update to play multiplayer. Meanwhile, I started a single player game in beta and then I uninstall the beta. But now I can't load the saved game(from beta) in the normal version without the beta. Is there a way to change the saved game from beta to the actual version? Or I have to wait to the release of the new patch?
                                I adjunct my saved game from the beta version.

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

Officially, no. You can't downgrade a save that was created/saved in v1.3 back to v1.2. There's a lot of new data.

I'd really recommend staying in the beta with that save, or at the very least backing it up. As, it's the "true" version of your save.
                                  That being said, I made an attempt at modifying your save to be usable in v1.2.33 of the game; should you really prefer to go that route after all.
                                  It seems to load up fine now, but I only really tested loading up the farm/farmhouse. So if you use it, and come across any other issues; let me know and I'll take another look.

Attached Files:

• Norvos77

Norvos77 Space Hobo

Hi!! thanks for answering my question, I was testing the game in single player mode but at the end of the day the game closes. if I continue to play beta mode, when the official version 1.3 comes out I will be able to continue with that game correctly? I take the opportunity to report an error in beta mode, in the festival on the 16th of autumn when going to play in the fishing post the game freezes.

Sorry for the English but I'm not very good at writing.

• MysticTempest

Sorry, about that! I double checked, and I missed the OwnerID variable for the farm animals needing to be fixed. Here's an updated one; I tested a copy of this on my own system and it saves and progresses to the next day now.

Yes, you can continue playing the Beta with your Beta savefile, and it will work fine in the v1.3 multiplayer update. The only real exception to this is that because it's a beta; there's always a chance of something breaking before the official release.

Thanks for reporting the Beta bug; you can also report it at the following link officially: https://community.playstarbound.com...y-multiplayer-beta-known-issues-fixes.142850/

And, no worries; I can understand you just fine!

Attached Files:

• RPGAngel

Hi, I have a question. My friends and I love the world we have now except we wish we had the basic farm for more room. We are wondering if it is possible using save state editing to change the farm type. The friend who is the host did find a way to have more than 4 players in a world but isn't sure about how to change the farm type.