Modding Discussion Migrating XNB mods to Content Patcher packs

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Pathoschild, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

You forgot the 2nd change, adding another p̶a̶r̶e̶n̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶s̶ curly bracket after the square bracket.

Edit: Typo, because I need sleep. Hatmouse is correct.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    • hatmouse

hatmouse Phantasmal Quasar

You're still missing a curly brace } at the bottom, under the bracket ].

(Oh. I guess I should refresh. Also, I really recommend using something like SublimeText, or anything that will highlight for you. Anything that opens also needs to close.)

• Umeneko

Umeneko Void-Bound Voyager

lul, the error just went to line 10 position 0

Edit: made a fresh file and it worked for some reason.

Attached Files:

Medicell and MysticTempest like this.
        • MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Looks like your most recent, edited upload on the other page has the fixed the comma, and the extra curly bracket at the end of the file.
          But, I see line 10's curly bracket was turned backwards; glad you got it all figured out now though.

• Umeneko

First time doing anything like this, very glad for the help. the guides were very helpful as well. Now to convert all of my old favorite XNB files

Oh hey, the manifest, should I be putting the original author on the author part?

• Umeneko

Obon Horse

Edit: oh butts. someone did this one on pg.6 under a different name so i didn't notice , i'm terrible at this.

Attached Files:

• demideerling

demideerling Void-Bound Voyager

• hatmouse

hatmouse Phantasmal Quasar

For your personal conversions, it's not really important, but if you plan on sharing them - and especially if it is something the author could use to update their original uploads - you should credit the original author(s), follow the convention for an unofficial update (only #3 and #5 are really relevant for content packs), and include the right update keys that point to the original mod.

It's nice to see so many people getting into making conversions :) Don't forget that one of the primary advantages of CP is the ability to not replace an entire file, but only edit what is changed - so if an old XNB mod for scarecrows gave you craftables.xnb, a content pack using specific EditImage patches can instead replace only the scarecrows, allowing it to be automatically compatible with other mods that also edit craftables (like a lanterns pack, or beehouses), as well as being less likely to break if an SDV update adds content to the same sheet later. (The glory of overlays can take it a step further or in a different direction in certain cases if you do some editing, though it's easier if you have the original layers!) Obviously a lot of personal XNB collections are mishmashes of things edited together til our eyes bleed, though, in which cases full replaces make sense, along with all those things that just have one "thing" per file - animals, buildings, etc :)

On the paths/fences, I would have sworn I'd seen the cemetery fences converted, but I don't see it here or on the wiki's list. Looks free to proceed! Maybe I wasn't hallucinating :p

• Fyn

Fyn Pangalactic Porcupine

Here ya go. You can change between the fence colors by opening config and changing between "Black" "Grey" or "Pink".

(If someone wants to update the wiki with the ones I've done, I'd appreciate it)

Attached Files:

• cedarlings

cedarlings Void-Bound Voyager

i was wondering if anyone has seen any conversions of either of these maps? (x) or (x) and if not, would it be too much trouble to request them? ^_^ i think i saw someone saying CP packs of maps weren't a thing, but i figured i'd ask!

• hwayunhae

hwayunhae Pangalactic Porcupine

Hm. Must have been some sort of miracle I didn't manage to crash when I tested it, then. I'll move each from/to to it's own section, and check on that missing }.... Thank you.

Edit:
                      I moved each replacement to its own section, and removed a bit of the language replacement that slipped past my culling of the rest of them. (seems I'm going to have to start reloading my edits in N++ after every save to make sure it's not saving something it's not supposed to. >.<

Anyway, this should hopefully be the last time this file will need to be re-upped. though if there are more problems, I'll try again. >.<

Mi's Victorian Furniture

EDIT: uploaded new working version. Apparently my computer hates config files, so I went back to bog standard drag and drop file replacement for when you want to use a different color. The one I put by default is blue.

TheUnknownMutant likes this.
                      • ChiiBee

ChiiBee Scruffy Nerf-Herder

tbh I tried to convert the White Water Farm Map, but I couldn't get it to work myself because I didn't know where to point the extra files it comes with to and putting those extra files in the Maps folder didn't work either. I feel like it might be possible but I'm unsure of how to make it myself. :(

I could probably convert that first link of your's though since it should work the same as another Foraging map I converted!

cedarlings likes this.
                        • Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Map packs are possible. If you add the map as a .tbin file, Content Patcher will automatically detect tilesheets relative to your map file and load those too. There are two big limitations though:
                          • You may get errors when loading an unpacked map which references a PNG tilesheet. That's fixed in SMAPI 2.6-beta.8.
                          • Map tilesheets with a seasonal prefix (like spring_X) won't work due to an issue in the game's seasonal logic. I'll be proposing a change to the game code to fix that, but in the meantime you can work around it by adding a seasonal "Action": "Load" patch for the tilesheet and leaving out the seasonal prefix in the name.

cedarlings likes this.
                          • hwayunhae

OH, @ChiiBee, adding onto what Pathoschild said about ActionLoad, you'll need to point the target at both the contents folder [ "Target": "filename"] and the maps folder ["Target": "Maps/filename"] in order to make sure SDV doesn't throw any strange errors. Sometimes it's hard to tell which of these locations it will try to pull the custom sheets from, so it's best to load them to both.

cedarlings likes this.
                            • a4k

a4k Scruffy Nerf-Herder

• hwayunhae

I'll get on this right away. (While I'm at it I'll check the forums and Nexus to see what digspot mods are available and make a comprehensive patch.)

• cedarlings

cedarlings Void-Bound Voyager

i also had a question about eemie's classy new interior mod, if it's not too much trouble. i downloaded the cp pack someone uploaded cut they said furniture wasn't included and to use Custom Furniture, but looking that up as a mod, i didn't find anything except an outdated mod. would anyone be able to add the furniture in or point me in the right direction?

• Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

Working on my own mod here... updating my expanded access maps.
                                  Only issue I'm having is that I can load my 'ladder' tilesheet, but then can I set up seasonal recolors of that?
                                  In my files are "assets/ladder.png" that the maps use directly
                                  and then "assets/ori/spring_ladder.png" and "assets/recolor/spring_ladder.png"that have the seasonal version i'm trying to add
                                  then in my content file,
                                  {
                                  "Action": "Load",
                                  "Target": "assets/ladder.png",
                                  "FromFile": "assets/ori/{{season}}_ladder.png",
                                  "When": {
                                  "Recolor": "false"
                                  }
                                  },
                                  {
                                  "Action": "Load",
                                  "Target": "assets/ladder.png",
                                  "FromFile": "assets/recolor/{{season}}_ladder.png",
                                  "When": {
                                  "Recolor": "true"
                                  }
                                  },

Heres the whole thing if you wanna look - Expanded Access Maps

I'm not getting any errors or warnings about it, but it's not working

• Heroic Onion

Heroic Onion Void-Bound Voyager

[CP]Unofficial Chibiterasu Dog Replacement - original can be found at https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/152

I did get permission from the OC, but if they've changed their mind they can PM me to get this taken down! They're also welcome to update their main pages with this!
                                    Let me know if anything is broken, it was working find on my files but you never know I guess.

Attached Files:

aijvelle likes this.
                                    • hwayunhae

hmm. remember to also to target your custom tiles to the maps folder, because SDV has long had an issue where it sometimes doesn't acknowledge/read a tile if it's not in both places. If that doesn't work, try changing your fromfile line to "FromFile": "assets/recolor/ladder.png".

Thread Status:
                                      Not open for further replies.