Which game do you most regret wasting money on?

Discussion in 'Games' started by RogueZephyr, May 25, 2017.

1. Spicynoodle

Spicynoodle Void-Bound Voyager

Skyrim. I thought it was mediocre even when it came out, as apparently it was the 'best rpg' amongst bad RPGs of that year. I bought it 4 times because there was really nothing better. I didnt even beat it until 2 years later because it was boring, stupid cliche, and the only thing keeping me playing it was the mods, not the devs/game itself. Even in VR, is a rip. Looks worse, sounds worse, but its in VR so that's a plus. lol

STCW262 likes this.
  2. jacobdyson2007

jacobdyson2007 Void-Bound Voyager

Gang Beasts, don't get me wrong, it's funny and re-playable, but it isn't as fun as the beta, as in my opinion, beta was the best version.

3. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Mortal Kombat X

4. Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Lorekeeper of Wyverns Void-Bound Voyager

Can't say there's a lot that I've really regretted, but there have been a couple of examples in particular.

The first is Sonic Colours/Colors. I know it's probably a controversial opinion among fans of the series, seeing as it's considered one of the better (not worse, Past Lore!) games in the series, but I just could not get into it. I found it actually quite boring. I mean, sure, I'm a pretty strange case when it comes to the fandom- I'm pretty fond of the modern games- but compared to the others I'd played, Colours just seemed way too linear for me. At the very least, it wasn't expensive, so I didn't miss out on too much. Since then, though, I've been a little afraid to play anything else later on thanks to the boost mechanic being used again afterwards. From what I hear, aside from Generations, I haven't missed much.

The only other, I'd say, would be Snake Pass, and I don't even know why. I will agree, it is a fantastic game. Amazing soundtrack, great visuals, and a really interesting control scheme. For some reason, though, it didn't really appeal to me for some reason. It's strange, but honestly, it's one of the few games I actually kind of regret, and for no reason whatsoever. I want to love it, but unfortunately, I can't get into it. Maybe I'll try it again sometime; see if I get a little more attached to it. Didn't help that I'd been entirely captivated by another game at the time, but still...

I suppose I should feel lucky. I've never really bought anything too abysmal, and even if I have, I've at least found something that interests me in them that I feel makes it somewhat worthwhile. I've even liked a good few games that can be considered 'bad'.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  5. BlazingPaladin

BlazingPaladin Void-Bound Voyager

F I R E E M B L E M F T W
    Is best game series.

6. AlexFrank

AlexFrank Poptop Tamer

Call of Duty. It's not exciting to me, or I should say boring, I've played better games.

7. lcdmgod

lcdmgod Void-Bound Voyager

Counter Strike: Global Offensive

8. Larielia

Larielia Subatomic Cosmonaut

Final Fantasy Explores. Bought it new, then the price went down pretty soon after. And I hardly play it.

9. TTStooge

TTStooge Big Damn Hero

I'd say No Man's Sky but it was actually my brother who bought that, so I'll go with the next best thing: An old Igor game for the Nintendo DS. I was a young idiot child and didn't know that those movie games are usually pretty crappy so I wound up wasting 40 bucks on that. I couldn't get passed the damn tutorial level and the instruction manual got a bunch of stuff wrong about the characters.

10. plantys

plantys Master Chief

Not a game but a console. The Nintendo Switch. I reckon PSP is still better than this.

11. Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

PC version of Gunvolt. Boy did I wish I read the reviews on the port, apparently it's terri-bad to the point I just can't play the damn thing. You can't even move certain keybinds. Oh and escape just closes the game, unlike most games where escape is the back button and/or menu button. So I'd lose progress every time I try to back out of something. I'm not sure who ever did the port even plays games on the PC.

12. DragonDreads

DragonDreads Phantasmal Quasar

Mass Effect Andromeda. Hyped for that game for the longest time, preordered the deluxe edition and also was able to play the early access to it just before it released. Between the horrid facial animations, dead eyes, seriously flawed writing and underlying political bullsh** the game wasn't worth it to me. Especially after they dropped it like a flaming bag of poo that it is just months after release and not even bothering to fix the broken quests, dialogs, and bad writing. Then to commission a "novel" to try and tie up the loose end of the quarian ark with some lame cross-species virus killing --once again focusing on the drell to start with-- the inhabitants of the ark is just a plain slap in the face.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, I would have to say I would add Mass Effect 3 to the list of games I regret buying. But thankfully, I learned my lesson and steered clear of Andromeda, for several reasons. One, the failure to deliver a meaningful end to the story of 3 and the fact that Shepard would not be in Andromeda was a huge turnoff. Mass Effect, without Shepard? You're pretty much doing a full-on reboot and I just didn't trust the writers who produced the turd of 3's ending to do it well and apparently I was not wrong in my suspicions from the sound of it.

They had a ridiculously awesome sci-fi franchise that was written just as well as some of their other famous franchises that made them famous in the first place, and they flushed it down the toilet. I'd like to think that it was just the corporate meddling because they got in bed with EA, to be honest.

Really wish EA would just belly-up and die (the company itself, not the people obviously) already. I'm tired of them killing off every good studio of the late 90s and early 00's.

14. Starfoam

Starfoam Space Hobo

A game I regret buying is Tomodachi Life for the 3DS. When I was younger, the idea of watching over my own Miis sounded amazing, but it went downhill from there. The speech sounds so robotic and terrible, it gets boring just watching the Miis pace around their rooms, and it was just a bad experience in general. Not worth my $40 at all.

15. Bamboozler

Bamboozler Space Penguin Leader

Don't speak about that devil game in front of me. Biggest regret by far.

I spent over $300 on alpha and beta access and I had bought not just one, but ALL the packs. I also convinced 4 of my friends to spend money on early access too. I spent over 3 years of my life testing and playing that game and building the perfect strategy for launch. Just to see the game crumble before my eyes within a week of launch happening.

Between millions of premium currency being cloned into the game, nonstop game downtime and server issues for the first 2 months of launch (sometimes up to 10 hours of downtime in a single day), and months of daily DDoSing to their servers - the playerbase and the game itself just died off.

It really sucks. The game had so much potential and the dev's just handled it poorly. They should've listened to Uncle Ben more often - 'with great power comes great responsibility'.

16. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

All FPS and simulation games. It feels empty after you beat all of the levels. It didn't give me anything useful in the end.

17. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I agree with you there. I am not sure if I had really enjoyed a Sonic game since Sonic Heroes. I tried Sonic Colors, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic Generations and did not really care for any of them. I was actually somewhat upset because I was beginning to give-up on the Sonic franchise. if you want to enjoy a Sonic game I recommend getting Sonic Mania. I got it and I loved everything about it. The first part of the level is the same as its original counter-part but the second part is entirely new, and often fabulous. I highly recommend this one.

Lorekeeper of Wyverns likes this.
  18. Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Lorekeeper of Wyverns Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm a little cautious about trying it out, seeing as I'm that rare person who doesn't get as much enjoyment out of most 2D Sonic games (though I can appreciate them!) but maybe I might try it someday. However, if you have a DS or 3DS, what I'd recommend for you is Sonic Rush. Not a whole lot of people talk about it, but I think it's incredibly underrated.

Personally, I loved Unleashed. Different things for different people, though, right? I can see why you wouldn't.

CorraidhĂ­n likes this.
  19. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I completely forgot about Sonic rush actually. I did play that one, it was pretty enjoyable. Unleashed was in my opinion was not quite bad nor was it really good, someplace in between. There is a special release for the Sonic Mania coming out in a few months, Sonic Mania Plus. I am thoroughly looking forward to it.

20. Tileve

Tileve Space Hobo

Snake Pass on Switch --> It looks like an old 64 game, I love that aspect! But it ask a lot of patience.... and I don't have any. I always end up falling and have to redo everything again. I have a soft spot for this game: music, characters and graphics are all in what I like in a game, even if that might goes again the popular opinion. But 1. I couldn't advance in that game as much as I wanted to, 2. not that long after I bought it Mario Odyssey came out, so with Zelda and Mario sadly I didn't picked up Snake Pass again. And with all those games I want on the Switch, I don't know when I'll play it again.