Real Consequence

Discussion in 'Other' started by ふんです, Apr 17, 2018.

1. ふんです

ふんです Intergalactic Tourist

I have a complaint about the game that mods cannot fix. I tried to make the mod myself, but upon further research since I've never modded before now, I cannot make this mod due to the game not being open-source. That's why I've turned to the forums.

Here's my problem. I can't play this game. I want to play it, but I just can't. Survival is too casual, and Hardcore is too punishing. You could die to something extremely unfair and there goes your character, and playing survival I feel like there is no sense of consequence. There's barely any punishment to death. Thirty percent of your pixels is way too little. You may find yourself thinking, "You can go in the settings and change the punishment to something much higher." That creates the same problem. As an example, let's say I bump the percentile up to eighty. I'm on some planet fighting some monsters with my one-thousand pixel, and I die. I'll lose eight-hundred pixels, and I'll continue playing. The stakes are gone. Every combat encounter after my loss won't have stakes until I amass more pixels, and even then, I never feel like I'll ever lose too much progress. I can always get more pixels.

Now, before I hand you a rock to throw at this bird, I'm going to point out another bird that you'll hit along the way. A percentage loss makes no sense realisticly. Pixels have been claimed to be used in 3D-printing, so this leads me to believe that those pixels I'm losing are going to that process of creating a new body for my character. So why is the price of 3D-printing a humanoid body not constant? Hopefully, you see where I'm going with this.

The "rock" I propose you use as a solution to both of these problems is a new mode. This mode is halfway between survival and hardcore mode. The revive cost is a constant amount of pixels, and if you can't pay the cost, you can't respawn. You're character is permanently dead. This mode could be a modification of survival mode or an additional mode. If it's an additional mode, I think it would be appropriate to call it "rogue" mode as a reference to the fact that this would make the game very similar to a rogue-like.

Post Scriptum: I only really want to play singleplayer, but you could make a feature where other players can pay your fee to print another body for you.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You do know the standard difficulty setting also includes dropped items on death? Right? You can mod that to be basically anything you want.

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I don't see much of a point in doing this. It would be impossible to balance. If it's a large amount of pixels you'll never be able to afford it early in game play. If it's a small amount of pixels it would always be trivial. It's basically just a reason to farm pixels (which is pretty easy to do) early on in the game. Once you reach a certain point it won't matter because you'll have tens of thousands of pixels (if not hundreds of thousands) so the death penalty won't make much impact on your purse. So unless you die a bunch in quick succession, you'll never risk perma-death outside of the early game. At least losing a percentage hurts more when you're rich so there's some incentives to stay alive once you get some wealth.

4. ふんです

You can't make it so you conditionally lose your save file if you don't have enough pixels.

5. ふんです

Well, assuming the body augmentations are made of matter, pixels should be able to print them upon death. Same principle goes with matter manipulator upgrades. Depending on the upgrade, it would cost more to reprint them when you create a new body. So you would also lose those augmentations after you die if you don't have the pixels on stored on your ship. I'm imagining it as a sort of "fuel" system. How would you be able to print your body on your ship if you lost them on when you died?

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Sure, but you are able to do that one yourself.

Besides, that would be a shitty condition anyway. It would effectively turn money into a health bar, and given you have the pixel compressor, that would man using it or even just buying thing would put you at a disadvantage. Though it would be an ironic parallel to real life. The less money you have, the higher risk you are for failure!

7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

A more logical approach would be to make the game autosave only when beaming up to the ship or if manually saving, and resetting to the last save if the player isn't carrying enough Pixels in Casual, with Normal always doing this. It would mean that part of the Player's progress is lost, but not too much.

8. ふんです

Well, worst case scenario, you don't want to play this mode. Just don't. Maybe a better way of doing it is having one of the stores at the Outpost sell "Clone Matter" or psuedolives. Also, there's a risk/reward system that comes out of buying stuff.