Modding Discussion Turn on monster spawns on ANY map?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by macattack228, Mar 27, 2018.

1. macattack228

macattack228 Void-Bound Voyager

Hey all!

For a school project I am working on a small overhaul for Stardew Valley, and subsequently turning it into Rippletide Bay.

Editing the maps and all the warps are easy enough for me, as well as changing up all of the NPCs and such, but my main issue is that I want there to be monsters spawning around the map in sort of a Legend of Zelda kinda vibe.

Is there any way that I can turn on monster spawns for any map? For example, how slimes spawn in the secret woods. Is it as simple as editing the yaml for the map, or is there some tilesheet that I am missing that has all of the monster spawns as tiles?

Thanks a bunch in advanced! I'm still trying to figure it out myself, so sorry if this is a simple question <3

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You would need to use SMAPI, mob spawning is handled through code.

• Balentay

Balentay Void-Bound Voyager

@Entoarox Would it be easy to accomplish? o: I'd be very interested in having combat on the general map- something I didn't realize I very much wanted until I saw this thread!

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Relatively easy, mob spawning isnt difficult, but you'd still need basic C# knowledge.

• WallyKazam

WallyKazam Void-Bound Voyager

@Entoarox Hey there and am just jumping in on this discussion since I am very much interested in the subject as well. I do have some C# experience so I'd like to ask if you could point me in the right direction about monster spawning for any map? Any SMAPI coding reference that I could look up? Thanks a million!

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

I would recommend looking at SDV's own source, specifically how the Farm class handles mob spawning, since that is a good example.

SMAPI is still mostly a modloader, and while some API's are in place, these are mostly high-level API's designed to handle complex things in a non-conflicting way.

WallyKazam likes this.
              • WallyKazam

Noted and thanks again. Cheers!

• Fox420

Fox420 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd love to see this as a mod. That'd be really fun to have wandering enemies. Could make it kind of Secret of Mana-esque or Zelda.

• Bamboozler

Bamboozler Space Penguin Leader

I'm patiently waiting as well @Fox420. :up:

• WallyKazam

@Entoarox Thanks again for the quick guidance as I've managed to make a crude mod to set any farm to spawn monsters at night. I'm still working on the kinks and doing a bit of testing here and there just to make sure no ill effects would happen in game, but so far so good. It's been a long while since I've modded so hopefully I can wrap my head around more of the SDV source and be able to spawn different monsters and not just the usual you get from vanilla. Cheers!