1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

standardized intergalactic timekeeping in the SB universe

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by PaxCallow, Feb 27, 2018.

1. PaxCallow

PaxCallow Void-Bound Voyager

(sorry if this isn't the right subforum for this)

the differences between planet size and day/night cycle lengths in starbound has got me thinking.

what do you think timekeeping is like in the starbound universe? do you think it's possible to reach a standardized time across such a massive intergalactic community? do you think timekeeping starts meaning a lot less when life is spread out so far across the universe?

i know that this question is valid for any science-fiction story that takes place galactically or intergalactically, but hey, it's valid here too, so why not discuss it?

what do you think?

Pangaea and Tamorr like this.
  2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Probably. They might have one for In space while they planet hop or travel within it.

Might be a database for each known planet to keep their own time. Scans would be necessary for determining unknown planets.

Thing is though they may for each race have their own timetable they use of their home world or the one they were raised on most. At least what I think...

PaxCallow likes this.
  3. Milosz3107

Milosz3107 Pangalactic Porcupine

I think just set time on the Outpost and everyone can use that.

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

That's only the beginning. A year, for instance, would be different depending on how far the planet is from its star. Not to mention the age of the planet and when intelligent life formed (or visited) and started keeping track of time. The earth is like 4.5 billion years old but what if another planet is 8 billion years old? What if life developed sapience and started keeping time millions of years before humans did? We've got BCE and CE when we talk about time but that wouldn't be the same for them, then. What if different planets measure time differently? We have hours, minutes, and seconds but maybe another planet developed different ways to measure the cycle of night and day.

I don't think it's really possible outside of always specifying "local time" or similar. Even then there would have to be some agreed on metric. It's not really possible to have a true standard time across multiple planets let alone multiple solar systems and galaxies. The only standard that could work would be keeping track from the big bang but that would be tedious I think. Even that would have to be standardised in some way because what metric are you going to use? Currently we use earth years but obviously that's going to be different for each planet anyway. Well, like I said in the first part, it's really complicated when thinking on large scale time-keeping like that. All sense of time is lost in space anyway, especially when travelling at or above light speed (time dilation).

5. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Honestly, I think most would just use Earth time for most things. On the galactic stage, Terrene Protectorate was by far the most proactive, which is why Earth's measuring systems would likely spread all over. A day lasts 24 hours. A month lasts 30/31 days. A year lasts 12 months. When you're on a spaceship or a space station, you might just as well roll with that.

The local time on each planet would still be measured differently, depending on its day cycle and orbital period. But for all interplanetary purposes, Earth time would be an accepted standard. And while it's probable that the Hylotl, the Apex, and the Avians would each have their own systems, based on their own homeworlds, it would likely see little application outside homogeneous Hylotl/Apex/Avian territories.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2018
    Milosz3107 likes this.