Superstitions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ManaUser, Feb 26, 2018.

1. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I thought it might be fun to talk about any "superstitions" you have for this game. Like something you always do, despite not having any practical benefit, or something you consider good/bad even though you know it doesn't really matter.

A couple that come to mind for me, is I try to pet the cat every day, even after reaching max friendship, and I don't like ending a day without shipping anything. I could have made a few thousand g selling fish to Willy that morning and have ancient fruit wine brewing in the shed... but it still seems ominous when I go to bed don't see my profit report. But if I shipped a silver Leek and a rusty spoon? Alright then, no problem.

• absimiliard_the_elder

absimiliard_the_elder Subatomic Cosmonaut

I always let the Concerned Ape in the opening screen sleep -- even though I REALLY WANT TO CLICK HIM.

ManaUser likes this.
      • guitardude_324

guitardude_324 Big Damn Hero

I used to take the Rabbit's Foot into the skull cave hoping that maybe holding on to it would give you a Luck boost. I know it doesn't work like that, but when I first started I wasn't so sure and I'd take it just to be safe.

margotbean likes this.
        • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

On the last day of every season, I go out at sunset to a firepit I've made near the cabin, to watch things get dark and listen to the night sounds start, and think about what I've done over the past season.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I'm not superstition in the slightest, so I don't do anything based on that but I am very much a person of habit, so there are several things I do for no other reason than "just 'cause".
            I pet the cat (or dog) at least once every day, I watch TV religiously every day, even though it's not really useful at all and once I buy a calendar I check that twice per day, first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening. It's of course located right next to the bed for ease. I tend to forget to check the calendar in town square, so this one's pretty important if I want to keep up with birthdays. And then I of course also keep gifting people birthday presents, even long after I maxed them out.

Hmm, that's all I can remember right now, but I'm sure there's more.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Every morning is the same routine. Get up and check the calendar, which is beside the bed, then go watch the TV. Kiss the wife (if married), then play with the kids (if any). Go outside and check the mail (if any) then rush to pet the dog while it's by the water bowl before it decides to run away like a crazy animal (alternatively, go pet the cat which is always flopped by the bowl). Fill the water bowl. Go to the greenhouse (if I have it) and do whatever needs to be done in there. Then I do everything else.

Actually, I suppose none of this is actually superstitious (since I don't go for that stuff), but it's so automatic it could almost be considered it, like someone saying 'Bless you' after you sneeze, or do the salt toss thing...

• Honeywell

Honeywell Phantasmal Quasar

I put on my "Lucky Fishing Cap" when I go fishing. lol It's just that little sailor looking hat you win at the ice festival - I don't remember how or why it started but now it's a thing.

ManaUser likes this.
                • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Oh yeah, forgot about the family! xD
                  They get my attention daily as well. And if my schedule allows it I'll even chat with the spouse three times per day, to get the morning, midday and evening dialogue :)

• kidkid123

kidkid123 Phantasmal Quasar

i did this too, for 2 years:))..i thought it gives me some good luck:))

margotbean likes this.
                    • Stryder87

I always forget about the midday one, but I'm home at 6pm to talk to her. And it's always three kisses in the morning.... dunno why... it just is.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

I never chop down trees that are outside my farm. They're in public spaces and are for everyone to enjoy, not for me to steal

claudiareese and lannihamm like this.
                        • margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

I carried one around everywhere for 12 in-game years, just in case... :p Then I discovered that the special luck charm I saw in the game code was something unimplemented and not the rabbit's foot. I still carried it around for 3 more years. :D

• kidkid123

I allways keep my watering can full, even if i only used it once, i have to refill it:wut:

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I'm not superstitious, but I think I might have a bit of OCD about some stuff, but oddly not about other stuff. I just did 1 million in a year for the first time(1.45 million actually) It required about 100 Kegs and Greenhouse Starfruit. The Starfruit weren't all started with Speed-grow so they weren't all on the same schedule and it really aggravated me. But my oak resin forest was just a cluster f___ and somehow that seemed okay.

EDIT: Yeah @kidkid123, I'm the same way about the watering can, when I'm watering crops I compulsively refill it before putting it away, but once I've got sprinklers set up, I just use the watering can to fill the cats bowl and only refill it when I need to.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
                              • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

That's funny, my OCD won't let me store the watering can unless it's completely empty. Once I have sprinklers and only trot it out a few times a month I have to /completely/ empty it before I put it into a chest. My brain won't accept that it's a fictional watering can and cannot rust, get moldy, or breed mosquitoes.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

I don't want to accidentally burn down any buildings, so refining equipment like furnaces and kilns go outdoors. But seed makers, crystalariums go indoors

But artisan machines must be indoors to protect them from the rain. Except bee houses, ldo

ManaUser likes this.
                                  • kidkid123

:)) everybody has a thing with the watering can:))

• Stryder87

Yeah. For me it's the stupid wrong direction of upgrading. I need it Iridium at the beginning of a save, and by the time I can bother doing it, I only need it at copper level since I'm only filling the pet bowl.
                                      I have a real love/hate with that watering can! :)

One More Day likes this.
                                      • ladymurasaki

ladymurasaki Star Wrangler

And the slime watering trough! That needs at least gold (5 squares in a line)?

All tools need to be iridium cuz that makes them purple. Need purple tools.

ManaUser likes this.
                                        • Stryder87

Well, purple is epic... :)