Will Stardew Valley on GOG be able to co-op with Steam users?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rheves, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Rheves

Rheves Aquatic Astronaut

I currently have the steam version of SV and was watching the sales to buy a copy for my friend in anticipation of the multiplayer update. It's currently on sale at GOG but I do not know if we would be able to play together with out different versions.

I asked support at GOG about it and they unfortunately did not know since it was game specific. Could anyone let me know if this will be possible?

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

They're both running PC version, so I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to. It's not like the game is using the platform (Steam vs GoG) to do the multiplayer connection, after all.

Rheves and Lilliput like this.
      • Rheves

Rheves Aquatic Astronaut

OK great, I assumed the steam multiplayer stuff would be used. Thank you.

• ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Unfortunately, I'm not sure you're right about that: This is what what they said back in August:
          I mean... I think it probably will work out, but based on a limited information we have so far, it's not completely clear.

• N1warhead

N1warhead Space Spelunker

I'm a game developer (in general) not for this game. But Steam has their own Networking API, they may be using that in all honesty.
            If that's the case, I can't say exactly if it will work or not. I mean I'd say they aren't using a Steam API for Networking simply because they are on multiple platforms, wouldn't make any sense to do that. So my guess would be they are using either a custom networking solution from the ground up, or they are using a premade one, such as Photon Server/Photon Networking.

Now I can't really say much, because I don't know. But I'm fairly certain it's not Steam API or they would possibly lock every other platform out.

EDIT: Just read Mana's post (the first link).
            It sounds like they may have a mixture of Steam API in it, but some custom solution to handle non-steam users.

• Depthside

Depthside Yeah, You!

The twitter post from a few weeks ago said LAN party. Couldnt we just use himachi worst case for internet play? thats not a steam thing, that would be in the game design. Not speaking for platforms outside of PC, but dont gog and steam get the same updates? Id really like to know for sure before i decide to buy gog or steam and they both have a sale atm but steam is $2 more for some reason.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

GOG users get the same updates as PC and Steam, you just have to go to GOG to get them.

• ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Though last I heard at least, it sounded like we would not be getting the beta.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Possibly not. GOG usually gets the updates on a slight delay (up until now it seems like around 48 hours after Steam updates) due to the necessity of the website having to set up their own distribution packages. Steam users can get updates tied to their online accounts, but GOG has to package up a self-contained installer because when you purchase from them, all the files are hosted on your local machine.

They might just not want to bother going through making install packages for beta tests; I suppose we will see. I'm still glad I purchased through GOG, since I prefer to have all my files on my own machine without the kind of connection Steam uses. Just a personal preference!

• ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Same here, I love GOG. But I do feel like their update system could be streamlined a bit. I believe devs when they say the delay is on GOG's side. It sounds like they require human involvement every time a game updates. Which seems inefficient.