Dev Blog 2 February – 2018 Catch Up

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Mods will most likely be able to port over without much issue. Most games that receive console ports don't alter the game structure too much; Thus, as long as authors can make slight changes to conform to whatever standard Microsoft requires, shouldn't be much of an issue.

The whole point, I think, behind Xbox receiving the port is due to Sony's harsh mod policy (Tight restrictions on all "external" assets including, models, textures, and ESPECIALLY scripts.)
    With modding being one the cornerstones of Starbound's re-playability, I doubt their decision to focus on Xbox over Sony was anything less than a calculated decision.

I'd be careful, that's a statement very short of insulting mod authors...
    Personally, I find it a rather subjective point of view. I know there are some styles and work that I find rather unappealing, whereas many other find enthralling.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Interesting if true... and I have little reason to think it's not true.

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  3. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Definitely a reaching view.

There are definitely mods out there that are... "questionable" in quality. Sure.

But there are many mod authors (including myself) that put a lot of thought, time and effort into what we create.

It's fun, but it can also be tiring, frustrating, and time consuming. (I probably wouldn't mod nearly to the extent that I do if there weren't users to share my content with.)

Jonesy and Kawa like this.
  4. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

they haven't removed much now which is very good, but they used to remove a whole lot of contents.
    also i admit that i am overacting i have just had so many beta games that i have play have been altered in so big ways and every beta game i have ever played that have ported it self to console before fixing major problems and progress have suffered in tremendous ways and the major problems being ignored because all the time have been used on adapting it to console and promised content being cut.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I think that the Starbound developers are have been slow about developing a console version because they wished to complete making their game first. Once they are done with all of their really large updates they may, quite rapidly, finish their work on a console port. Afterwards they will likely continue updating the game, but really large content updates may become slightly less frequent. This is purely speculation and I could be completely wrong though.

I wonder what that means for a Nintendo Switch port. If it is because of Microsoft's leniency towards mods versus Sony's then that could mean they may not consider a Switch port. Nintendo would probably be more tight about mods, if they allowed it at all, than Sony. On the other hand the Switch's unique versatility still makes it a potentially profitable port. I do no know how popular mods are with Stardew Valley but the game seems to be doing pretty well on the Switch's store, and then we have Wargroove coming soon also a game with mods.

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  6. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

Perhaps I didn't phrase that very well. There are a fair number of really amazing mods that rival if not surpass the quality of most Chucklefish content. I would say the majority of mods though are not at that level, there's a lot of mods by people trying things for the first time, or that excel in some areas like gameplay but are lacking in art, simply because the mod author is not an artist. I was referring to that bulk of mods on that lower end of artistic quality.

I don't believe I'm being subjective when I say the furniture in the dev blog is bad. It's not about style or design, it's about quality. The pieces are completely flat and unnatural looking, the shading is weak, the perspective is slightly off, those are objective criticisms. I like the design of the table a lot, and I enjoy Egyptian style furniture in general, but the set is just not done well. Maybe it's not done at all and this was just the rough outline and they showed it off too early.

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  7. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

It might be also perchance that we're looking at the sprites pre-editting and revision.

I know that more than one person works on their art and there exists a chance we are looking at something that has been put in game as a placeholder while the sprites are being touched up. If they look like such a drastic reduction in quality from the rest of the game, then I'm going to say chances are that it's not a finished product. :)
    (Plus our voice is very much so a voice in that revision process. I know I'd be more motivated at a sincere criticism than a harsh scrutiny.)

PaxCallow likes this.
  8. General Nuclear

sorry for overreacting i thought you meant that they should redo most of the furniture both new and old.
    and there are things that need to be fixed and reworked. I was just afraid that it would go out over the contents.

9. El_Blanco45

El_Blanco45 Orbital Explorer

Will the Xbox port have local multiplayer?

10. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Does the PC version currently support local multiplayer? If yes then I suspect the console ports will too, if not then I wouldn't expect it.

11. General Nuclear

yup just invite them over steam

12. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

That's not local though.....not if you still need to use two PCs.....local MP is more like couch coop, split screen and such. Anything else is network multiplayer for all intents and purposes because it doesn't matter if you're in the same room or continents apart when you invite someone playing on another machine via gaming network.

Boshed and DragonsForce like this.
  13. kolbosa

kolbosa Void-Bound Voyager

thats sad

Internal Screaming likes this.
  14. Polraudio

Polraudio Void-Bound Voyager

Id love to see a switch port.

AmazonValkyrie likes this.
  15. Yorabonito

Yorabonito Void-Bound Voyager

c'mon chucklefish, at least update the blog

16. PaxCallow

PaxCallow Void-Bound Voyager

everything looks great! new UI's gonna take some getting used to, but then, everything new does. really excited about the bounty hunter update.

appreciate all the hard work you're doing!

17. Lintton

Lintton Guest

@Katzeus

Question, are you handling the announcements now for new developments? Is part of the reason for the relatively long silence finding a replacement for @mollygos ?

18. Brackster Plays

Brackster Plays Space Hobo

I am so happy your still working on the game. Been a but more than a couple of weeks though, just saying

19. Lunar_Vortex

Lunar_Vortex Orbital Explorer

I know this would be a lot of work, but I wouldn't mind a Starbound port for the fastest selling console in America (the Nintendo Switch). I asked one of my fellow Starbounders If they would buy it on the Switch if it came out, and the answer was a resounding YES. I know I would. Also, if it was cheapish ($30 range) I might even buy it a present for my friends to get them into Starbound.

20. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

As you may have noticed with Minecraft, Terraria, and Chucklefish's recent inactivity, each new platform they port the game to slows down updates by something to the effect of an order of magnitude, given all of the things they have to rework, reprogram, and modify for the new architecture.