Some crops grow faster/slower than others (no fertilizer)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phea, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Phea

Phea Big Damn Hero

I notice that sometimes a few of my crops grow faster/later than the others that were planted at the same time. This usually happens with potatoes - I plant 24 and one or two still have another day to go when the others are being harvested. I noticed this happened recently in my tomatoes too. I usually don't use fertilizer (only if it's the last few days of a month), and I'm sure that the areas where plants grow a little faster/slower aren't fertilized at all. Does anyone know why this happens?

• ladymurasaki

ladymurasaki Star Wrangler

Something to do with watering. If you planted around a sprinkler where some tiles were wet and you didn't re-water on the first day, it'll throw off the harvest date. Otherwise iono. Maybe that fairy is drunk-flying and messed up.

• kidkid123

kidkid123 Phantasmal Quasar

this happend to me also..but only for 1000 crops..i would get 2 or 3 that grow slower..idk why

• squigglyruth

squigglyruth Pangalactic Porcupine

I've also had this once of twice, even when really careful with watering. Last game, the tile that got delayed looked like it was already watered one morning. Because I didn't trust that, I re-watered it anyway. However, that tile was still a day late. I'm not sure whether I had missed it for the same reason the day before - I think I would have noticed as it is something I look out for these days. So possibly when tiles do the 'already looks watered' glitch, watering them that day has no effect?

• BigBerries

BigBerries Tentacle Wrangler

Probably just made a mistake. Didn't water something. I also always miss a couple tiles when doing big crops with fertilizers.

• ChocoCoco

ChocoCoco Space Spelunker

It's not a mistake in some cases. I've got this happening to me too every once in a while even if I let the watering be handled completely by sprinklers. I do have it happening more often when I manually water the crops, so I'm willing to accept there's a player factor in there, but I know it sometimes just happens for no discernible reason.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
              • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I've had it happen with full Iridium sprinklers, mixed crops per sprinkler area. Never been able to figure out why the odd one will finish early or late. It really messes with my zen, man. :)

• w00tl00ps

w00tl00ps Subatomic Cosmonaut

No, its not a mistake. It's a weird thing that only seems to happen rarely early on in a game. I have to wonder if it isn't somehow actually tied to the farming skill, or perhaps luck. Instead of a fairy visiting, your crops just don't develop right. It could be chance based like that. I have never, ever, once had it happen with sprinklers, but having started over a hundred times and having been absolutely sure watering was perfect, I have seen it happen.

It has only every happened to me very early into the game.

• BouncingCactus

BouncingCactus Big Damn Hero

I've had it happen to me with sprinklers doing all the watering, including day 1. Only occasionally. It's weird, but it happens.
                    On a similar note, beehives don't have perfect recognition of distance to flowers as I've talked about before, so it's not unheard of that it gets wonky occasionally.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Yea, fairy event can also overwrite a junimo scene. Had that happen to me once. But hey, had a whole crop of Strawberries fully grow soon enough that I got a third harvest out of them in my first spring, so bonus. Also one of the earliest times I got the boiler room unlocked, due to getting a fire quartz out of an omni-geode. I had the gold from a couple of ghost kills.

• Ltfightr

Ltfightr Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have had the same thing happen. I also sometimes see crops die for no reason and show as dead like the season changed when its in the middle of the season. For example a parsnip on Spring 23 will be dead and look like its summer 1 and has to be sickled to clear the dead plant.

• BouncingCactus

YES. This happened to two of my starfruits very recently.

• Kide87

Kide87 Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, for me this inconsistent growth happens usually at the start of the season with manually watered crops, I don't remember ever seeing it happening with sprinkler crops.

If it was after a storm day maybe your crop was struck by lightning.

I've experienced this as well. I had two beehives failing to give me flower honey even though they had produced it 4 days before. They were at a symmetrical position to the flower as two other beehives that didn't show any issues.

• ChocoCoco

ChocoCoco Space Spelunker

Hmm, the few times plants of mine died in the middle of the season I assumed a lightning strike had something to do with it. Is that possible?

• kidkid123

kidkid123 Phantasmal Quasar

this also happend to me..i assumed lighting hit the crops:p..i also had a lighting hit my apple tree ( i was in summer ) and it was producing coal:))

• BouncingCactus

Interesting. What I was referring to is that in some positions, the beehive does not recognize the presence of flowers and defaults to wild honey.
                                  https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/bee-hive-radius.133544/#post-3170470

You know, it's quite possible that it was lightning actually. I feel silly for not considering this earlier now.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I had the same issue. I found that there is a glitch of some sorts where the hives I've circled (left of the up/down centre-line from the flower), even though they 'should' produce flower-specific honey, they only produce wild honey. The ones on the right of the centre line produced flower-specific honey properly. No idea why, but it had me confused for a long time... and also greatly irritated my OCD. haha
                                    Hives.jpg

• JazzHepcat

JazzHepcat Seal Broken

I've had late crops happen as well on spaces that should be covered by my sprinklers. Another weird thing I've seen is random spaces being unwatered on a rainy day even while in sprinkler range. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

• BouncingCactus

Hah, well the thread I linked was started by you talking about it so :p

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

That's because those four hives are out of reach. It is a total of four squares, not four square in any direction. It makes a diamond-shaped radius of effect, and those circled are just outside that area of effect.