Dev Blog 2 February – 2018 Catch Up

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Wickerson

Wickerson Aquatic Astronaut

The steam controller works well with Starbound; I have an HDMI cable hooked up from my laptop to my TV, and can play Starbound from the couch!

2. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

That is because the blocks are not loaded. Changing this behavior would be very difficult.

EDIT:
    You can make a watering can quite early on, so you don't have to rely on rain.
    Bugs can be reported in this subforum: https://community.playstarbound.com/forums/support/

3. Pedro Falcão

Pedro Falcão Pangalactic Porcupine

Thank god some news after almost 4 months silent. Even if it isn't much, I appreciate that anybody in the team take time to show some progress.

4. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Yes, I know, I use the shower until I can make the sprinklers, but when it rains, which is often where I have the garden, it is work that saves you, but because they do not load the blocks as you say, it bothers a little .

But hey it is not a serious error either, of the NPCs that I put more back if, it is a bug that should fix urgently hehe

5. Kumpel

Kumpel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We got a screenshot. I don't exactly consider that to be content.

Again, I don't consider a gif of a player character sitting around some new furniture to be content. Unless you mean that's all we have to look forward to?

Is there anyone who believes the player base will come back to the game and grind hard for frankly generic avian furniture? Of course not.
    They'll be grinding to get to the point when they can see the Bounty system in full swing.
    We haven't gotten much information about that, or any of the other planned features for that matter.

The dev blog has never been thorough but what you consider to be blog updates I would call a joke if any other developer were doing it, unless it was a teaser. But all teasers and no context is starting to get old.

Jumbum, Internal Screaming and Boshed like this.
  6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

And I call what you just did moving the goalposts.

It doesn't matter if it's not a neat trick shot that's worth replaying in dramatic slow motion. The ball still went in the goal.

PaxCallow and DragonsForce like this.
  7. JeiT

JeiT Big Damn Hero

I don't really know anything about how Starbound is built, but I recall that Minecraft had a mod which contained a "chunk loader" (name might be completely wrong). It was basically just an in-game placeable item (looked like a machine-block thing) that kept a couple of chunks - or a finite number of blocks in a square area - loaded no matter where you were, even if you weren't in the same dimension. This would allow crops to grow, or enemies spawn, or basically anything that required the player to be in close vicinity.
    Would something like that be possible in Starbound, you think?

8. cooldad123

cooldad123 Space Hobo

PLEASE Please please please please please (times infinity) get this going for Nintendo Switch!! Is it possible? Would it be laggy? I'd pay $15 again for this for SURE. I'm sure more people would want this too.

9. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Please please please please please (times infinity twice!) Don't nag at or try to tempt video game developers!

The Squid and Kawa like this.
  10. DragonsForce

Quite a few mods added this in fact, and you can even do it in vanilla due to some very technical aspects. I'm sure it could be implemented in Starbound, but every piece of the world that is kept loaded impacts the performance. This could be especially destructive on servers, where griefers would cheat in tonns of these devices to place them all over the universe, slowing the server to a crawl and most likely crashing it eventually.

JeiT likes this.
  11. kolbosa

kolbosa Void-Bound Voyager

xbox360 version is still planed or not?

12. Internal Screaming

Internal Screaming Space Spelunker

i severely doubt it

13. ItsDaPervert

ItsDaPervert Title Not Found

I have to say I really like the way CF handles their dev blogs. That "we already said we´re working on it and if you have a problem with us taking our time just go sit on a pinecone " attitude is something many devs completely lack. I´ve seen quite a lot of of indie people who were all about doing dev streams multiple times per week and informing their community about every minor bug fix they did and who thus ended up not making actual progress anymore (in a way of adding to the game itself - not that bug fixes aren´t important).
    I´ll be waiting then. GOG will most likely take some more time to make the update availiable after its release but at the end of the day there´s always mods to try out if you´re bored.

PaxCallow, Speed Lightning and Kumpel like this.
  14. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

So since "a few weeks" apparently means 4 months, should we expect the update sometime in 2019? That might at least give you time to redo that furniture set so it doesn't look so flat and jarring.

15. General Nuclear

Redoing the furnitures are the last thing starbound need right now. what we really need in starbound is more contents, more missions, more items, more characters, and more things to do and explore. and i think we can all agree to that.

16. DragonsForce

I'm pretty sure they were talking about the (NEW) furniture set showcased in this update; which does indeed look rather flat (or at least some of the parts do).

17. General Nuclear

Point was that we need more content above all instead of going backwards instead of forwards and removing and changing things.

The devs here have a very nasty habit of removing things instead of fixing them if they mean that it is broken.
    i really wish they would make a suggetion thread for things they mean are broken or other people mean are broken so we could reach a agreement that is not too hard fix that satisfied everyone with the things they or we mean are broken.

18. DragonsForce

Well, this will be new content... But as it is right now, half of those items are useless, because they clash with everything else.

19. Yorabonito

Yorabonito Void-Bound Voyager

Whoa you’re pretty good observer man... I even didn’t realize that they’re doing much of removing things from the game

20. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

If I wanted to spam inject low quality content into my game I would use mods. There's like 5000 mods on the Steam workshop, most of them are higher quality than what was shown in this dev blog.