RELEASED Animal Husbandry Mod (former Butcher Mod) [v2.4.1]

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Digus, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I got some really unfortunate news. My HD died this weekend.
    I have my source code uploaded to Git hub, but not updated. Last commit I did was in December. I still have the first code of the animal feeding animation, but most of my code and sprite work done for next version is lost.
    I still have to buy a new HD, start too install everything, see what I have backup of.
    With that, I have no idea when the new version will come, may be a month from now, I don't know.

Don't be like me, always backup your work.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    • Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

sorry that happened

Digus likes this.
      • 0patata0

0patata0 What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

Noooooooooooooooò :'(

Digus likes this.
        • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I'm back on track. Could not recover more than what was already in git hub or uploaded as image here and on nexus.
          But I was at least able to recover most of my save files. The one I use for test I had upload on dropbox to Pathoschild so he could test a problem. The other two were on upload.farm. My oldest one was uploaded before I had an account and thanks to Rob Heath I recovered that one too, after proving that I was the original uploaded. I lost the one I was playing with my girlfriend, but we can start again together when multiplayer is released.

The good news is that now I have a SSD (much faster) and a HD. I will keep things backuped manually for now, but I plan to also get a external HD to do it automatically.
          I also had applied for a Resharper license for being an open source project and just got it. That tool should make coding faster.

Yesterday I took a day-off from work to sort things out. My workspace is ready and set and I'm coding again.
          Since I had to download and install everything, I already updated Animal Husbandry Mod to use PyTK instead of CustomElementHandler and CustomTV.
          I re-implemented the animal data on treats. Also added a new status to count the quantity of each treat an animal has eaten. I will use that on a later version.
          Friendship and mood are already increasing and I also re-implemented the Liked Treat validation.

Before sleeping I was trying to recreate some sprite work I had made. The channel screen and the meat button are done.
          This is the most frustrating part of recreating stuff. I will never know if it is looking better or worse. Before, I was going to upload the sprites here to show progress, but never did for the sake of surprise. If I had done that, I could recreate it from the captures.

That is it for now.

Edit:
          I happen to find the meat button on my phone. Its jpg and look like crap, but is enough to recreate it. I think the new one looks better, but I can only tell after recreate it. I will post both later so people can give me their option.
          My phone and PC auto sync the image folder when plugged tougher, I made the meat button long ago. But the last images I made were never sync. But these are the ones I remember more, so not a huge problem.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
            HopeWasHere likes this.
          • KittehKatBar

KittehKatBar Void-Bound Voyager

Excited to hear things are back on track :D

Digus likes this.
            • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

[​IMG]
              Now that I recreated the button, I think the old one looks better.

New | Old | Beef | old.jpg

lexiejetts and HopeWasHere like this.
              • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I think I coded everything I had done before. All sprites were remade also.
                But I didn't test things very well, so I will have to do that later.
                I also did some writing on the TV channel during the week. But mostly some rough stuff.

KittehKatBar and HopeWasHere like this.
                • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I had a lot of time to work on the mod today.
                  Tested the farm animal feeding and fixed some bugs.
                  One thing I had not found before is that SMAPI SDate can't be serialized to Json. So I had to make some adjust to know when was the last time an animal ate a treat. All is working now.
                  I also implemented the milk mechanic to make animals mature faster. Have not tested it yet.
                  The last thing I was implementing was pet feeding. I'm still doing the animation, but I think it's looking ok now:
                  [​IMG][​IMG]

And here is how the new query animal menu is looking:
                  [​IMG]
                  When the animal is pregnant, the icon will be highlighted.
                  When the animal has eaten a treat, there will be an apple inside the basket, when he want a new treat the basket will be empty.
                  The meat button also work and directly add meat to the inventory. It will open a menu if the inventory is full. The same menu as when opening a treasure chest, or getting an item from a letter when the inventory is full. It will consume energy an give experience the same way as using the meat cleaver/wand.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
                    ManaUser, lexiejetts and HopeWasHere like this.
                  • lexiejetts

lexiejetts Void-Bound Voyager

Oh my..I can finally feed my doge and my cate!
                    This is amazing.

Digus likes this.
                    • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Pet feeding implemented. (+6 bonus just like watering the bowl)
                      Lots of tests.
                      Adjust to the feeding animation and sound.
                      Coopmaster and Sheeperd also "help befriend animals quicker" when feeding animals related to the profession. I configured it to 25%. Maybe I should place it on the config file.
                      The only thing planed and missing is the "Livin' With The Animals" TV show.
                      I have some more episodes to write and then need to revise everything.
                      After that I need to code the logic to not show episodes from topics that were disabled.

I also need to recreate the panel image. It was a paint.net file full of layers so I could easily change and move stuff around, now I have a png img(thank god it's png and not jpg).
                      It shouldn't take much time to do. Then I can edit it to include info about the new version.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
                      • Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

One question: why is it called "Animal Husbandry" now? No offense, but it makes me think of beastiality as I shudder in disgust.

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

"Animal husbandry is the branch of agriculture concerned with animals that are raised for meat, fibre, milk, eggs, or other products. It includes day-to-day care, selective breeding and the raising of livestock."

Since after update 1.1, most of the features I have been implementing are not related to meat, but to animal husbandry as a whole. So it made sense for me to change the name.
                          I also think the term "butcher" could keep away potentials users of the mod, even if they could disable meat entirely.

Also, I did those features because as I was playing and testing the mod, I saw how animals are not well balanced in the game. To make meat a viable way to make money and be a enjoyable experience, I needed to add much more than just meat and artisan good from it.

After doing animal treat feeding, I want to make two events with animals, and the jerk machine.

Androxilogin likes this.
                          • Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

Oh that makes sense. Forgive my ignorance, I've just never heard the term before. Sorry about your loss, I've had this happen a time or two modding Stardew. Hopefully things go smoothly for you this time around. I use this mod and it's pretty well done, I must say. Nice to see someone works hard enough to even implement animals feeding.

Digus likes this.
                            • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Thank you. It's always nice to know people are enjoying it.

Androxilogin likes this.
                              • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Almost everything done.
                                I wrote everything planed for the channel, more than 40 episodes. I also revised everything. Might add some more stuff later, but I try to avoid it for this release.
                                Coded the channel to show the episodes, with the logic to exclude episodes based on major config options. Also placed a logic for alternative text for when people just have meat disable. If the text has a '|' in it, the first one is the text with meat, the second one is the text without meat.
                                Added more config options:
                                - You can individually disable mood and friendship increase for giving treats. I implemented that because some people might want to feed their animals just for the flavor of it, and also change the time between treats to once a day or even unlimited. But they might not want to max their animals in full heart just for doing that.
                                - You can enable treats to work as feed. So if you give them treats they won't need hay or grass. That is disabled by default, but you might turn it on. I won't test is extensively though, so people should use it at their on risk.
                                - You can change how much the Shepherd and Coopmaster profession affect the amount of friendship given for treats.
                                - You can use a category id on the liked treats list, to make the animal like all items of that category.

I still haven't tested it all, but those were simple additions to make and I thought it was worth it.
                                The only thing missing now besides tests is the letter to receive the feeding basket.

I will also do another panel for the mod. The old one is updated but can't fit everything I want to show.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
                                • ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

So I've never used this before (just got started using SMAPI today, actually). Would you recommend I try it now or wait for the next update?

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

If you are planning to start a new game to try the mod, I would say wait for the next update because there is going to be a new channel giving tips on animals.
                                    But if you are going to use it on a in progress farm, there is no reason not to start using it now. All features already in the mod are working fine.

lexiejetts and Androxilogin like this.
                                    • ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Alright. Thanks. Planning to add it to a an existing save, so I guess I might as well just go for it.

Digus likes this.
                                      • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Finally, the new version is released.
                                        I was not giving any more status because I did not want to say it would be soon again and ending up not releasing when planed.
                                        I reviewed all episodes more deeply, that's why it took so long.
                                        Testes more stuff again, and was making gifs and screen shots for the release.

I still have to update this thread first post, and upload more screen caps to nexus.
                                        Next, I will start studying how events work in the game. I have some ideas, but I don't know what is possible.
                                        I might work on jerk at the same time, but no promises.

lexiejetts likes this.
                                        • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I've already started studding and testing how to create events.
                                          I think it is possible to create dynamic events like I wanted. The major idea is to create an animal competition in the town center. It will be an event(not a festival) with no interaction after it starts, but I wanted it to be different each time, with some random elements like who will participate and win.
                                          The player will choose an animal the day before the event, then I will calculate the out came and prepare the event for the next day.
                                          With code patching I think I can add custom sprites and assets to the events. And also some cool rewarding , like an animal that have won, always produce the iridium quality products.
                                          I'm aiming to a spring and a fall competition.
                                          If this proves easier to do, I might add some other small events.

Two other ideas I might look into later are:
                                          - Give the player a Coop Coupon instead of 15 parsnip seeds at the begin of the game. It could be a config option or a check added to the character menu. The player would still have to get 300 wood and 100 stone, and another 300g for the first chicken, but would let a starter rancher get animals much faster.
                                          - A craftable animal stall, to place in barns with the propose of increasing pregnant animal capacity. I know it was a limitation I created and can be changed in the data files. But I think would add to the game experience. Maybe I could look into additional incubators as well, but it does seem more difficult. And maybe someone already did that mod.