Dev Blog 2 February – 2018 Catch Up

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Original Post

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Very exciting to see the console port finally coming to fruition. :)
    Kinda upsetting that only Xbox gets it for now. (PlayStation needs to get on board with this crap.)

Keep working hard CF.

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'll take it!

4. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Playstation 4 may take advantage of their touch panels though, if ever a PS4-Starbound exists.

5. GoldenTerrabyte

GoldenTerrabyte Void-Bound Voyager

Since it's been made for a Console now, is there any chance that the PC version is gonna get controller support? I'd love to be able to sit back and play this game on my laptop with a more intuitive gamepad scheme than using JoyToKey.

6. Momopovich

Momopovich Pangalactic Porcupine

It's still alive O_O

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Did you honestly think otherwise?

maestro kitty likes this.
  8. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

I've been waiting for this since forever.

CONTROLLER SUPPORT INCOMING!...

...eventually...

The Gaming Planet likes this.
  9. Kumpel

Kumpel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey y'all, any chance you can be more thorough with your devblogs in the future?
    Popping up every couple of months to confirm you're still working on the game and talking about having content but not showing it?
    Really isn't cutting it for me, personally. Details would be such a huge breath of fresh air. How about a devstream every so often?

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

... "not showing it"? We've already seen what the bounty thing will probably look like, the wiki theme isn't that important, we've now seen actual work on the Xbox UI and a preview of the shortly-to-be-released new themed objects. What do you mean "talking about having content but not showing it?"

11. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Looks like the devs are alive after all! Nice

Pohany likes this.
  12. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I have a question regarding the X-Box release of the game. I know that some games, such as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, have mod support for their console releases.

My question is 1. will Starbound have mod support on the console?

(This only matters if it is yes to question 1) and 2. will the mods need to be specially developed for the console?

I have never cared to own any of the X-Box family of systems so I am unfamiliar with how they work. As a mod maker I just wanted to know if people are going to start asking me to make my mods console compatible.

The Gaming Planet likes this.
  13. Speed Lightning

Speed Lightning Phantasmal Quasar

Welcome back, Chucklefish! I am still looking forward to the bounty update. I particularly appreciate that space encounters and planets are finally being tied together; this is a very good idea. While working on the update further, the developers may wish to consider several comments and concerns in my reply to a previous entry. I would be particularly interested in a choice of factions to work for - not only the Peacekeepers, mind you - updates to quest locations on existing planet types - primarily the four ocean worlds - unique rewards from the chosen faction/s that can be used elsewhere in the game, and levels assigned to each bounty individually - independent of planets' threat levels and potentially only appearing when accepted.

As previously mentioned, possible bounty-hunting factions include randomly-generated bandit gangs, the Miniknog, the Resistance, the Kluexians, Greenfinger tribes, the Occasus, the Terrene Protectorate - which may be similar to, or the owner of, the Peacekeepers - and potentially Novakid villages.

Since my previous post, I have considered another possible solution to the potential problem involving bounty threat levels either being unaccommodating for those with low-level equipment or being too biome-restricting for those who wish to take high-level bounties. In the assets, I have found an unused star type called a "Mysterious Star". If the developers wish to re-introduce the mechanics of the X Sector from the Koala versions, they may wish to implement this star into the base game, which would include level 6 or level 7 planets of all biomes, including forests, oceans, volcanoes, snow fields, and mutated worlds. Although this would be a more complex addition than my previous suggestion, it would allow players with low-level equipment to take bounties that they can complete without restricting high-level bounties to only volcanoes, magma seas, and scorched worlds, and it would also allow those with high-level equipment to explore a larger variety of worlds that are appropriate to their level.

Lastly, I have heard comments regarding what others claimed to be rather underwhelming lore and a "bland storyline" when v1.0 was released. I strongly recommend looking into the game's lore alongside this update, as it may immensely improve the quality of the update for some players.

Otherwise, I appreciate that updates are still being created, and I look forward to more information about the bounty update. =D

The Gaming Planet and Zethyus like this.
  14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I am not a developer, but logic dictates that at least UI mods will likely not work to whatever degree. Even simple reskinners that only replace some PNG files might not!

15. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I was actually thinking most about interfaces and UI when I made my post. Some of my mods feature custom made interfaces for some crafting stations and I was thinking that they may have to be adapted to the console controls.

16. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

About the Wiki feedback, sometimes the text font used both in the wiki and game may look blurred or streched. Outside that it's pretty much readable (and useful).

17. Loto

Loto Void-Bound Voyager

I think 15 weeks qualifies for more than a 'few'.

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

19. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Ah, good to hear you didn't die over the holidays :D
    I like the look of the table, chair and statue, but the other items unfortunatley look really flat, which will make building with them a challenge, especially if we don't get matching blocks (Which I assume we won't).
    Wiki and console port are neat I guess, but I don't care about them (Especially the later, since the only console in this house is a Wii which has not been used in years :D )

maestro kitty likes this.
  20. Nazja

Nazja Pangalactic Porcupine

I wonder what kind of tenant that furniture set will attract. It could be a human but perhaps also an avian; Meso-American their culture may be, but there are some Egyptian influences here and there.