Modding Help Recolor

Discussion in 'Mods' started by frozenfarmer, Jan 29, 2018.

1. frozenfarmer

frozenfarmer Space Hobo

Hey everyone!

I'm a new member here so please bear with me and my less to none skills.

I was reading through the modding guides today and was interested in doing a recolor of a farm building. How do I manage that?

Thanks!

• Little Lea

Little Lea Big Damn Hero

This page is pretty information in terms of the basics and what programs you need: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Modding:Editing_XNB_files#Getting_started

Basically, you'll need one of the programs listed (I use XNB Extract) to open the files. Then edit the png to your liking in a program such as Photoshop. You'll want to use a program capable of keeping pixel opacity, or see-through pixels. (I use a free one, Paint.NET.) When you're finished, you'll put your png back into the file you opened, and use whichever XNB program you choose to compile it again.

To test your XNB mod, you can either throw it in your Stardew Valley content folder and overwrite the original (BACKUP first! I do this personally) or use XNB loader (https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/smapi-xnb-loader.130047/).

• frozenfarmer

frozenfarmer Space Hobo

Thank you so much! I'll see what I can do

• frozenfarmer

frozenfarmer Space Hobo

Hi so I tried it again on my Mac and it seems like it won't unpack. I tried using the cat.xnb file and followed the instructions however it just came back up with Textedit. Do you know what I can do?

EDIT: Actually, seems like I haven't installed a few things. Lemme try that agin ;(
          EDIT EDIT: Still having the same problem, however I posted another thread so don't worry :) Thanks for all your help in starting me up.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
          • Little Lea

Little Lea Big Damn Hero

You're welcome! I don't have a Mac, so hopefully someone on the other thread can straighten it out for you. Good luck! :)

frozenfarmer likes this.