1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED RPG Growth 1.92

Adds RPG-like growth (stat points and classes) to Starbound

1. I am kinda confused, why did you change the requirements to a living root for the book that controls everything? Living roots are rare, so that means you would spend the first part of the game without the book, or am I missing something?

2. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

Rare? Hunt gleeps with hunting weapons for five minutes, you'll have more than you'll ever need.

3. I meant rarer than a experience orb, doesn't seem like any reason to do that. Thanks though for the tip:) I am just gonna leave it at the old version anyways, I cant figure out how to make it so when the book opens it goes to hardcore, and can't be changed. The way i did it with the old version doesn't work with this one, and I am not gonna figure it out to much work ;)

Thank you ThornyFlora for making this great mod I love it, and 100 percent wouldn't play starbound without it:)

4. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

Another question comes to mind, will there be dungeons?

Now I know the ancient gates and underground doors already fill that purpose to some degree but maybe your own one can spawn on the surface somewhere and be a gateway to a randomly generated adventure dungeon that increases in difficulty as you go from level to level filled to the brim with monsters and boss battles and traps and loot for days... If you defeat the dungeon that is.

Note that this is said with no prior knowledge of your mastery of programming so I'm not entirely sure if this is red card out of proportions.

5. TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love this mod but I'd love to have an option to switch between the small and the big exp icons. The small ones are really hard to see on max zoom.
    I'd also like to report that most of the enemies in the Ruin mission drop no exp.
    https://starbounder.org/Tentacle
    Only the Tentacle Ghost drops exp.
    The tentacle Gnast are too numerous and easy to warrant exp drops, but the crawlers, bombs and spawners should drop exp.
    Especially if you use FU, the ruin biome does occur on normal planets sometimes, meaning you have a huge biome with barely any EXP.
    Not saying this needs fixing because of FU, I am saying it needs fixing because the fight through the ruin is pretty harsh and shouldn't be so dang unrewarding.

6. ThornyFlora

ThornyFlora Pangalactic Porcupine

If you want to switch the Big and Small XP Orbs, just go open the pak file and do the following:
    go to /objects/experience/
    rename experienceorb.png to experienceorbsmall.png
    rename experienceorblarge.png to experienceorb.png

Obvious issue there is that you'll have to do this every time there is an update.

I'll take a look at the Tentacle Biome monsters to see why they aren't dropping anything. Also, thank you for the review :)

Edit: Fixed. Tentacle Gnats and Bombers spawn 3 XP per. The rest drop XP as regular. And now, the Heart of Ruin also drops XP! This will all come on the next patch, whenever that will be.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. ThornyFlora

ThornyFlora updated RPG Growth with a new update entry:

Patch 1.32 - Removed Quest Necessity

Read the rest of this update entry...

8. Volkey

Volkey Space Spelunker

Hi, I was having trouble installing your mod.This is my .log file
    I was having trouble installing your mod and you asked for my .log file. I wasnt sure how to reply to a review so I just did this.
    Also not sure if you will get this but I love how the mod looks and I would love to play.

Thanks
    Volkey

Attached Files:

9. ThornyFlora

I do not believe the issue lies with our mod. Did you perchance use a mod with armor set bonuses, because one of those is also throwing an error. There are also tons of other issues, like items that cannot be instantiated. It doesn't even seem our mod was throwing the issue, but rather that Starbound could not find the 'ivrpgstatboost' effect, which means it could not properly load our mod for some reason, not that our mod was necessarily causing the issue. Can you try re-installing Starbound (make sure to back up your storage/player data).

10. Volkey

Volkey Space Spelunker

Thanks for replying. I will re-install Starbound. I had the FrackinUniverse mod installed before but I removed it when I got RPGgrowth. Maybe it didnt fully delete. I will reinstall it and get back to you.

Thanks
    Volkey

11. Volkey

Volkey Space Spelunker

Sorry for the late reply. I had re-installed it and still it didnt work. I dont know what to do at this point but, I am getting a new computer soon. So I will wait until then and ill try again. Thank you so much for your help and taking your time to help.

Thanks
    Volkey

12. ThornyFlora

What exactly is going wrong? Is your game crashing to desktop?

13. Volkey

Volkey Space Spelunker

No it is just not loading. I put in the mod and get on the game, and no mod.

14. ThornyFlora

If you haven't already, try deleting the RPG Growth Mod, and replace it with a new downloaded copy. The pak file may have been potentially corrupted when you first downloaded it.

Otherwise, I'm really sorry it's not working for you, but it doesn't seem to actually be a diagnose-able error. It could be a number of things, since computers often behave strange.

15. EthaneSlinger77

EthaneSlinger77 Subatomic Cosmonaut

The Class Weapon for the Explorer appears to be unobtainable. I have received the quest to obtain items that spin from SAIL, and have killed quite a few Mandraflora and obtained Spiral Energy from them, but they do not appear to be smeltable in any tier of furnace.

16. TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you need a specific amount of the spiral energy to finish the quest and THEN you learn the recipe for the actual crafted energy

17. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

Discovered a bug with the latest update. Currently ALL classes (including the initial "no class selected") get the Wizard's "randomly apply elemental effects on attacks". It seems to be only the Electrify effect, since I haven't seen fire or freeze effects happening.

I've tested whether it's this or another mod by removing mods, and sure enough this mod is the culprit.

Hope you can fix it soon. It's a bit cheaty, and sometimes I don't really want to cause spreading electric damage (such as when catching bees and bugs).

18. OkamiPRIME

OkamiPRIME Intergalactic Tourist

So where do I get parasitic goo?

19. ThornyFlora

Are you perhaps using the Shock or Arc Affinity? Otherwise, I'm not really sure how that would be possible: I've just double-checked the code.

20. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

Given that I'm fairly certain that you can't take an affinity before choosing a class: no, I'm not using an affinity. (As I said, this happens even before taking a class.)

I'll do another sandbox test.

Edit: Yes. I copied my SB directory to a different folder, then erased my storage folder and all mods except RPG Growth, and then started a new character. I spawned in a bunch of poptops on my ship, and then attacked them with the broken sword. Electrify effect happened.

Sorry, but this is definitely a thing that is happening.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018