1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinUniverse 6.4.0

Enhance your starbound experience in every area. Massive mod.

1. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

How long is the time between cattle feedings? I set up three troughs and my animals ate ten units of cattle feed at first, but now they won't touch it. They also took a lot of damage at first and kept grumbling, which was annoying. I poured some healing water on the ground to alleviate the damage just in case.

All in all, very stressful change if you have an established farm setup that you suddenly need to change around. I can see it working smoother with a fresh character easing into it, though.

2. jsomnia

jsomnia Big Damn Hero

First things first. As always, great work. The updates breathe new life into things. I haven't played in about six months, but this is my go to game when I'm horribly sick. A week with the flu has gotten me acquainted again.

Frackin' Universe wise, there's a couple of issues that I've noticed. The first one that I noticed was that on worlds where a thunderstorm of any variety is occurring, S.A.I.L. will wait for me to move underground or beam off planet to warn me about that. Might be a timer or a script issue, or a simple typo. Speaking of typos, there's a couple, but the one that comes to mind is the CROC arm for the mech. I think the first and second sentence need a space between them. I'll be sure to track down more. Oh wait, I just remembered Protocite Fuel Canisters have a typo too! The "A" at the start should be capitalized. Darn my crazy thoughts. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the more technical side, speaking of mechs...AGAIN...There's an issue that's plaguing me like...well...the plague!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have started upgrading my mech again because I like flying fast. Seeing as how I had the sleek mech boosters, I went for the Gallant ones next. Just an increase in mass, no increase in energy consumption. However, I no longer regenerate at all when above half health with these boosters. I tried using the 25% reduction mech item for mass to see if that had any effect, but no, it did not. That means for planetside work, I have to take these off since regeneration is key and without it, the trek will be very short indeed. Not that it affects anything planetside other than the regen, but it's an annoyance.

On a more serious and technical note, I had a memory leak and a crash related to Starbound when AFKing at my pump station the other night. It involved Aether and the Centrifuge. Apparently, I had reached a stack limit inside the centrifuge while AFKing for those materials, and the client used up all my available RAM and then subsequently crashed.

Here's some logs from the server side.

[23:42: 39.358] [Info] Unhandled Item:
    {parameters: {}, config: {maxStack: 16777216, pickupSoundsSmall: {1: /sfx/interface/item_pickup.ogg, 2: /sfx/interface/item_equip.ogg}, description: Your compiled scientific knowledge., pickupSoundsMedium: {1: /sfx/interface/item_holster.ogg}, shortdescription: Research, inventoryIcon: fuscienceresource.png, value: 1, currency: fuscienceresource, mediumStackLimit: 999, pickupSoundsLarge: {1: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup1.ogg, 2: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup2.ogg, 3: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup3.ogg}, itemName: fuscienceresource, smallStackLimit: 99, rarity: Legendary}, directory: /items/currency/}
    [23:42: 39.379] [Info] Unhandled Item:
    {parameters: {}, config: {maxStack: 16777216, pickupSoundsSmall: {1: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup1.ogg, 2: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup2.ogg, 3: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup3.ogg}, description: Mysterious energy used by the Ancients. It pulses in harmony with the living universe., pickupSoundsMedium: {1: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup1.ogg, 2: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup2.ogg, 3: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup3.ogg}, shortdescription: Ancient Essence, inventoryIcon: essence.png, value: 1, currency: essence, mediumStackLimit: 999, pickupSoundsLarge: {1: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup1.ogg, 2: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup2.ogg, 3: /sfx/objects/ancientenergy_pickup3.ogg}, itemName: essence, smallStackLimit: 99, rarity: Legendary}, directory: /items/currency/}

Apparently it also extends to research as well, I just noticed. Oops.

And finally, we make our way to the sticky business of the ships and BYOS itself.

I inadvertently chose BYOS out of excitement to get started. However, I highly doubt I can create a ship as detailed as the default. I was wondering if there was a way that I could retain the moddability of ship with BYOS but still build the ship or use one ported from the default race? Like maybe go through the default race storyline, building the ship, then have the modification locks released on it to continue the whole BYOS thing of placing my stuff anywhere I want.

And crew! I am not sure if I'm overlooking something (I think I am), but no matter what I cannot get crew since I did BYOS. It's something simple, I am entirely sure of it, but I'd like some pointers. Thanks! I think that's it for FU specific stuff now, on to the mumbo jumbo corner below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unrelated stuff regarding Starbound and my setup!

Since I own a new server box in my house, I decided to set up a dedicated for this. New worlds, new characters, fresh start. Steam account linked with all subscribed mods, and symbolic links are placed in the "mods" folder to ensure they stay up to date via steam workshop updates. For the record, the dedicated box is running a Xeon E5-1650v2 @ 3.5Ghz with 12 logical processors (6 physical with hyperthreading). It has 8 GB of dedicated ram just for starbound, and that ram is ECC. Starbound is installed on an SSD and netplay is facilitated through a Cat6e ethernet cable on a dedicated 1GBPS line. Snazzy.

My rig itself is modest, an i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz stable voltage, with 16gb of 2400mhz (ddr3 obviously) ram, starbound again on an SSD (OCZ Trion 150, an okay model), and that I have a 1080 Seahawk with a modest overclock on it, I think I can run this game perfectly.

In the past, Starbound was known for occasional hitching and whatnot, but this is bloody ridiculous. Whether on a ship, the surface, Frackin' Universe, or unmodded, I experience the most strange lag. Especially when beaming. The beaming sequence will often freeze for a second or two, be it mech or normal. And sometimes if I go to certain places on my ship, it will lag during movement or transition. Does it on planets occasionally to. As I am sure others feel the lag too, I'm curious if it's a commonplace now and if there's any known plans for it being possibly quelled (though I'm sure it might be engine limitation / optimization issues).

Oh and on another note, I have acquired a 144hz monitor. I have heard and read that the game's physics and code are based on a 60 frame timer, which I can understand, but it galls me to think that being written in C++ that it's considered an engine limitation. I suppose there's too much reliant on this, like the old Gamebryo for FONV (which was actually patched with NVAC to remove this limitation). I'm seriously doubtful that this issue cannot be fixed, but with the current hitching issues, I would like to solve one before breaking stuff trying to work on the other! Oh well, just a thought.

3. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

Regarding the crew, you need crew beds to increase crew limit from 0 to anywhere. The rest I'm not sure how to help you. Maybe sayter could make a BYOS mode that kinda works like a space station.

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You can use the Ship Parts Manufacturing Table to make detailing to put on the outside of your ship, to make it kinda-sorta look like vanilla ships, somewhat. Better than total square boxes, though I think we could very much use more pieces to build, and some pieces need to be able to hook together, but it's a start.

Here's an example:

Here's the upper deck:

[​IMG]

And here's the lower deck:

[​IMG]

Obviously unfinished, but you get the idea.

5. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

thanks. will investigate. others have said something was wrong with it, but none gave substantial detail. this will help!

Psycho Maniatic likes this.
  6. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Mech-wise: Above a certain mass disables passive regeneration. I cannot recall the exact number off-hand. So I will instead link my notes here: https://pastebin.com/2jmEuevu

That should answer any peculiarities you had questions about with mech setups.

Also...why does your UI not currently show mass? I assume because you just moved parts around...it seems to screw up when you do that in-game. What is the actual mass of your machine? As you can see...it matters!

BYOS is a permanent choice. Either/Or, basically. There are mods to do it in other ways, but our way is not the same.

as for crew: Follow the in-game tutorials dude. Access them via your tricorder as instructed by Vinj on the Lush biome. Do the BYOS quests. There are only like...two. They'd have answered that question for you! Crew beds.

7. Psycho Maniatic

Psycho Maniatic Space Hobo

Well, using a relocator on the copperbeak when it hatches seems to be an easy solution, but glad I could help in someway! lml

8. throttlekitty

throttlekitty Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've got a problem with new characters and small mines not giving me a doorway to the mama poptop bossroom. I tried 7 different new characters tonight and seem to get the same mines layout on each planet. What can I do here?

edit: forgot my manners. Playing on steam with FU 5.5.4. I started playing a few days ago but decided I wanted to play a different race; that character had the poptop dungeon. I'm currently playing with the same universe files that character had, if that makes a difference.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  9. Umbra420

Umbra420 Cosmic Narwhal

What I usually do is dig around until the health bar pops up, then I dig until I find the room. I do agree that it is a bit annoying.

10. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

The doorway always spawns. Always. If it isn't and you aren't finding the room with the mine in it , you either are looking in the wrong place, waited 10,000 seconds (it takes that long to despawn once used)...or have a mod that edits the same dungeon and overrides my change.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  11. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

12. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

13. Mooncalf99

Copperbeaks seem to have stopped producing copper since the update. They appear to be be sleeping all the time as well, even during the day.

14. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

sayter updated FrackinUniverse with a new update entry:

Read the rest of this update entry...

15. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

thats because they need to eat meat. They are carnivores.

16. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

17. Lurianar

Lurianar Space Hobo

As of today, eggs won't hatch and preexisting cattle will not produce anything. This includes flufallo of all types, chickens, etc. Cattle in the wild caught in immature form will not grow into their adult form.

18. Mooncalf99

Several growable weapons, such as the Bella Morte bomb, have no category. Bit untidy.

19. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

perhaps read the update notes to freshen yourself up on the farming changes, then. They are behaving as they should. This is why there is an update popup in-game now. If you read that, you won't have surprises.

20. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

question is there a way to add the abilty to turn about 10 to 25 bug shells into 1 hardened monster plate? i have yet to even find any hardened monster plate anywhere.