Modding Discussion A place to discuss map editing and other related stuff

Discussion in 'Mods' started by QuantumConcious, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

Yeah, that bit is incorrect. You want to go into Content/Strings/ and get and extract the StringsFromMaps.xnb file.
    In that file, you will add a line
    Place.#: "Message Content" #!String
    The in the map file, you will put on the building tile
    Action | Message Place.#

For example, like "Town.1: "Clinic - Hours 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM" #!String" is line 324 in the strings file, and if you look in the town map, there is "Action | Message Town.1" on the clinic hours sign tile.

Edit - I see Karmylla beat me to this... Although to clarify something she said, you do not HAVE to reference the specific map in the string file. Doing it by map is good practice for showing where the message is displayed, but not nessasary. For example, for my Expanded Access mod, I added several lines starting with "Expanded.#" beacause I wanted them listed together.

Androxilogin likes this.
    • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Oh no, I didn't say that you need to reference the specific map, or at least that was not what I intended when I said "respective maps", that little bit was to distinguish the two examples that I was giving, the Seed Shop and the Adventure Guild!
      But it doesn't matter, I think Androxilogin got the message from both of us xD

• Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

Urg.. I hate messing with this since the localization B.S. That's why I quit modding in the first place. Made my HUGE inappropriate dialogue mod then found it was all screwed up days after updating. So basically if there is a mod that has any new messages to the map it requires adding to this one file. So a lot of mods will not be compatible with others. Ridiculous.

Karmylla likes this.
        • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Yes, it made things a lot more difficult, but it did open new doors for translations, which is always a plus.
          You'll see, once you get used to this new system, you won't even notice the extra work it takes! I actually like looking at the strings file and seeing every message organised, it helps with correcting gramatical errors and such, it's neat.
          Although, it is also tricky when you can't pack the file due to some small little detail that disrupts the code. Believe me, YAML checkers have been a true friend when you can't figure out what is going wrong with the code!

Edit: Also, the compatibility patches! Urghhhhhhhhh, okay, I'll complain about that, that's just awful!

• Androxilogin

I don't mind YAML so much, compatibility is what gets on my nerves. This will be a major inconvenience that sets a lot of limitations to avoid soo many hassles.

• Lorekiss

Lorekiss Master Chief

Sorry, I have several questions. Some may have been answered earlier but I can't sift through 45 pages to find it...

1. I am trying to add a tile sheet I found from a similar thread but I always get an error saying "The specified id is already used by another tile sheet" how do I add ids to my tile sheets?
              2. from the path at the bottom of the farm maps, how do I get it to teleport me to Marnie's Ranch/ Cindersap forest?
              3. How can I make my own map and add it to the title screen so any future characters can choose it? (preferably without replacing any of the starting maps)

• Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

1 - In the window that comes up when you first choose to add a tilesheet, the first entry to fill in is "ID".
                3 - Custom Farm Types

2 - Two kinds of warps are possible:
                Click warp - This kind you right click on to use, like the doors in town. On the building layer, right click on the tile and go into properties.
                First column - Action
                Second Column - Warp x y MapName

For example Warp 1 10 FarmHouse is the warp on the door of the farmhouse, takes you to tile 1,10 on the FarmHouse map.

Touch warp - This kind you just walk into with your character. At the top of Tide, go to Map, Properties, Custom Properties.
                First column - Warp
                Second Column - x y MapName x y

For example 1 10 FarmHouse 1 12 will put a warp on tile 1,10 of the current map that takes you to FarmHouse tile 1,12.
                Normally if you are going to put a touch warp on the edge of a map, you will put it just outside the map, like if the tile at the bottom edge you want to warp at is 15,24, put the warp at 15,25
                Multiple warps for one map just have a space inbetween them, like "1 9 Farmhouse 1 12 1 10 FarmHouse 1 12 1 11 Farmhouse 1 12"

Lorekiss likes this.
                • Ailin

Ailin Title Not Found

Hello, I think I'm having a weird problem and need some help.
                  I tried to extract all the FarmHouse.xnb's, but XNBNode is not extracting anything... it supposed to give me a .xbin and a .yaml archives, right? but there's nothing in the folder after extracting... I already extracted some sprites and portraits and I thinked it should be the same way, but maybe I'm missing something...?
                  Any help would be appreciated, thank you

• Chunx

Chunx Yeah, You!

Help please! I'm new to map editing and need to know if there's anyway at all possible to move the location of the greenhouse (or the shrine for that matter). I've read that these two locations are hardcoded into the .exe, but I know for a fact I've also seen a custom map with the greenhouse moved. Is it possible or should I just give up? If somebody could answer this for me I'd appreciate it tons so I can move on with the map I'm editing.

• Androxilogin

The greenhouse cannot. Never tried to move the shrine so that one's lost on me.

• Chunx

Chunx Yeah, You!

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

They are hardcoded into the game and cannot be moved; what this person did was a little trickery to make it appear as if the greenhouse location moved. They edited the house.xnb file to completely remove the greenhouse image, so that the image it places where the greenhouse usually is is just blank. Then they moved the greenhouse into a different tilesheet and manually placed the tiles on the map in tIDE/Tiled and changed the warp location. If I were to guess, they also removed the building tiles from the hardcoded greenhouse location so you can walk over and place stuff on it. When you complete the greenhouse bundle, though, the cutscene will still show in the hardcoded greenhouse's place. So technically speaking, this person did not actually move the hardcoded greenhouse, because it is not possible.

You could probably do something similar with the shrine with it's image and some of the message interactions, but the candle flames that light up will always appear in the hardcoded location (and some interactions are probably not available to move, too).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
                          Androxilogin likes this.
                        • Chunx

Chunx Yeah, You!

Can anyone help me with terrain generation/transitions while using Tiled (or tIDE)? I've watched video, but still don't know exactly what tiles and corners to select because the spring_outdoor tilesheet is set up in a way that's different from the few examples I've managed to see elsewhere. Hand placing every little detail is painstaking and it blows trying to find the right transition tiles between dirt, grass, water, etc. If anyone has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated.

• Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

Hopefully you've found this already, before I did, I found it nigh impossible to do terrain! At the bottom of the tile picker, click the 3rd icon, and it will display the tile sheet in the correct order. You can much more easily find what terrain to use this way!
                            tIDE.png

• Chunx

Chunx Yeah, You!

Thank you, but I'm talking about how to set up terrain for use with the Terrain Brush tool. Even when the tiles are ordered correctly as above, there are still gaps in between certain transitions on the tilesheet and I don't know how to set the border/corner things properly even after playing around with it and trying to get it to work myself.

This video explains it, but you'll see his example doesn't necessarily apply for all the terrain in the spring_outdoor tilesheet.

As mentioned before, hand placing everything really sux, so if I could get this figured out it would be a sweet time saver. I've spoken with someone who uses a terrain brush feature in tIDE, but that's obviously a different program, and Tiled is much newer and performs better overall so I'd like to learn with Tiled if possible. There's also the automap feature which I'm not even going to try to attempt to figure out at the moment, but I've read that although complicated initially, it's also handy for quick terrain generation.

• DungeonRyu

DungeonRyu Phantasmal Quasar

Good day, I'm editing a custom map by Ali and found out a weird glitch.
                                There is a flower vase that stays as a vase in spring and trasforms into a palm tree during summer.

However, during summer top leaves of a palm tree that supposed to be on the AlwaysFront layer spawns several tiles below the main tree(marked area). Why is that is beyond me, since there is nothing in the map file in those tiles. Could someone point me in the right direction?

map | glitch

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
                                • Joejoe2105

Joejoe2105 Tentacle Wrangler

Help please I've been reading these posts about adding tilesheet to the yaml file after adding it to the .xnb file but I just can't figure it out for the life of me. Here's a pic of the error I get when trying to load the the .xnb back into tiDe. Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

• Lorekiss

Lorekiss Master Chief

I am having the same problem, I can't even load up my map anymore because it will say the path is not valid. I don't know how to change the pathway because all the png files are right next to my tbin map files; yet whenever I try to open my map it changes around the pathway to an unknown path that has never existed before. I even tried to make a pathway similar to the one mentioned but it will say it doesn't exist... I want to keep editing my map and would appreciate any help on this issue.

Joejoe2105 likes this.
                                    • Joejoe2105

Joejoe2105 Tentacle Wrangler

I figured it out, you have drag the yaml folder of the map you are trying to edit in to notepad and add the (tilesheet).png... Path......... Take note of the correct spacing between path/tilesheet in the yaml... And you have to make a new yaml folder for the (ztilesheet) you created in tide, copy any yaml folder and rename it to the (tilesheet) name with out the Z in front... Name the png the same then drag new yaml in notepad and rename all the goodies to your tilesheet and png again without the Z in front... The Z is only for the ID in tide... Doesn't need it anywhere else.. It's a little confusing at first but once you get it you got... Sorry if I'm not good at explaining stuff can pm me if need I'm currently playing all the time can walk you through it step by step if need... Anyhoot good luck

Lorekiss likes this.
                                      • Aresd25

Aresd25 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright I'm trying to remove the ponds and the cliffs on the west and south east to give more room. I already edited the map to how ever I wanted it. My problem is once I'm in game I can't walk on the areas where I've edited the map. I've tried googling for a few hours to figure out what I missed but I'm completely at a loss here, does anyone know what I'm suppose to do ?

Thread Status:
                                        Not open for further replies.