Switch/ PC crossplay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rukifellth, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Rukifellth

Rukifellth Orbital Explorer

I was wondering if this is potentially possible, I'm sure because MineCraft managed it, STV could probably do it? I'm asking because I got the game recently on the switch and my little bro has it on PC. No way I'm willing to pay 15 more for multiplayer, so I'm curious if the creators have considered this or not?

Dougyhowzer likes this.
    • Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

I wondering about multiplayer crossover too. I would think, since it would have to be online only multiplayer that it would be possible to have crossovers from PC, console and Switch. I haven't gotten it for the Switch yet but it would be cool if both my husband and I could play in the same Stardew Valley universe.

Dougyhowzer likes this.
      • Honor Shipping

Honor Shipping Big Damn Hero

After checking their blog, it seems that console will get multiplayer as well, starting with the Switch. As there's been no update on how multiplayer will work for players who aren't using Steam, we can only assume that the method they'll be using for that is still to be decided, but they did say that so far LAN multiplayer isn't planned (no update on that either, so again we can only assume that what they've already said still holds true).

Nothing so far on cross-platform as far as I know, but, since multiplayer is online, I would think that as long as both devices have the same version (1.3 will be the earliest with multiplayer, it seems) they should be able to connect to each other.

• Rukifellth

It wouldn't be LAN, we'd both have different online profiles so we could play online, it's a shame that they haven't said anything about this yet.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I highly doubt Switch/PC crossplay will be possible because they are on different networks. The Switch doesn't do multiplayer the same way PC's do. Switch uses MiiVerse to do all multiplayer functions, which PC's can't access, and vice versa.

• Rukifellth

However, it's not impossible, as MineCraft is doing it. (If one can read the first post, before posting, that would be quite helpful.)

• ShneekeyTheLost

You see, that's where you aren't exactly correct.

The Win10 version of Minecraft is compatible with the XBone version because it's the same program. Because XBone basically runs on a stripped down version of Windows in the background. Neither one, however, are compatible with the classic Java version. They took the Win10 version and made it compatible for Switch, which is how these three versions are compatible with each other.

SDV? Not so much. You've got different back-end code for PC, for XBone, for PS4, and for Switch, which are NOT cross-compatible with each other in any way. Which is why I state, and maintain, that it is exceedingly unlikely that they will ever become cross-compatible.

Your premise was flawed from the beginning, but I was trying to be polite and not make you look like a complete fool. But hey... if you wanna be rude like that... congratulations.

• Rukifellth

So the developers are lazy and aren't too keen on attempting to make a 16 bit game multi-platform compatable? Thanks for answering my question. Peace.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Firstly, I believe the correct word to use here would be "Developer." This isn't a game that came from a software house somewhere. It's the work of one person, and before you go throwing around the word lazy you need to point us toward anything you've ever done. I don't believe anyone, including CA, ever dreamed that SDV would have had the success it has. For you to now make claims about what he should be keen to attempt, without showing any understanding of what's happening under the hood, is ignorance in it's purest form. Piece.

• Rukifellth

Ignorance is when you can't figure out how to spell the word "peace," now if this game was unique in ANY way then I'd give him credit for his work, but seeing as most of the game is copy pasta from other games/ideas with a nice dash of generic villagers, then great. Unfortunately that's just not the case. I can call him lazy if I want, because with the money he's made from this he could easily have hired on help, instead he or she sits there and begs people to translate for them, "as a nice gesture" whereas most other developers do take on additional people/hire actual translators. Take Terraria for example, redigit hired on a few extra people to assist after Terraria took off instead of hoarding all the profits, then he even hired additional help to make sure the game was good and polished and actually got a better more unique game from it. If Stardew valley had anything unique in it, i'd be a lot happier with my choice to purchase this software, especially at 15(on Switch, I noticed after posting this, it's 10 on steam.) dollars (compared to most indie games being $10) Terraria may not have cross platform play or anything like that, but at least it does it's own things and makes alternate forms of it fun to play, and unique enough from one another to justify paying extra for those features. stardew valley at what 200 mbs is barely bigger than super mario 64, that may sound like a big deal, but shaders alone could do that to pretty much any game nowadays, not to mention the engine, it wouldn't be that hard to make a universal code for it to transfer to other consoles and/or modify some code to allow it, the creator could use some of his cash from his millions of sales to hire a small team to do this with and not even change up his character design, or with how simple this game is, compromise anything.

Don't say it's impossible, because you know dang well it's completely possible, if you put effort into it. Maybe instead of acting so smart, you could think for a moment and realize that just because something may not be able to do it immediately doesn't mean it's impossible. To add to my previous comment as "proof" that indie developers can also do cross platform may I bring up Fortnite, or how about a little known game Ark:Survival Evolved? They both can run cross platform with PlayStation/XBOne/PC the only reason why PS4 isn't currently supported is because Sony doesn't like it. Ark even went from Steam -> PS4 -> Xbone ->Windows 10, and the game is significantly bigger (around 160x bigger than stardew valley, assuming it is indeed 500 mbs) and they're only a team of like 10 people (not counting community managers which this game is SORELY lacking). I'm sure one person can port over a SNES game to the switch and PC and have it compatible.

What do my achievements have to do with something this guy has done? does having merit suddenly make your opinion more important? Should a doctor not be able to participate in the same politics as a mcdonald's worker, or are only one of their opinions valid?

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

When you claim the dev's lazy, and just not trying, then finish it up with "Peace," that's about as insincere as you can get. When I replied to you "Piece" I was being sincere, but you've got to read more into it. Come on, it's not that tough.

I'm not going to get into some flame war with you. Just read back over your own words. You sound like a teenage boy who's played lots of games, and written none. You make a lot of claims, but show no real understanding aside from "throw money at it." You a democrat?

NEVER, DID I SAY IT'S IMPOSSIBLE! Don't put that sh-t on me. Impossible is a word thinking people seldom use. Fact is, for a lot of reasons, I think the SDV codebase is probably a clusterphuk. It's fairly trivial to tack more stuff onto it, but once you start digging into it breaks even deeper. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if doing what you whine about would require a complete rewrite of the code. And what's that look like in ROI? How many people are going to make their final purchase choice based on cross platform multi-player? And what do you have to bitch about? You got what you paid for. Cross platform multi-player was never promised, and probably won't be delivered. You can whine all you want about other games you've played being better - Maybe those are the games you should play.

Opinions are free, you can have whatever opinion you wish. But uninformed opinions are dangerous. You just stick to your burgers, and let the doctors do their work.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
                        • Hordil

Hordil Space Hobo

I really hope the game gets a cross plattform feature :)

As a switch player, I really would love to be able to play with at least unmodded SV-PC Gamers.. :) ( Not that I would complain about playing on modded farms at all..! )

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

I think that it's unfair to call Chucklefish lazy, he gave us multiplayer for free and constantly maintain the game updated without charge for anything, if the game was made by EA you would expect those updates to came in form of DLC. The multiplayer wasn't his doing, he hired another team just for develop that and yet you call him greedy, give the guy some rest as this was his first release so he is bound to make some mistakes, but I'm testing the 1.3 and the game is completely stable so I can't complain about the multiplayer team.

I don't think that this game will be compatible with Switch because Nintendo really hates online multiplayer and are the most protectionist company of the market towards their products.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Sure it'll be compatible with the Switch. Congratulations, it's another way to use the switch version of the MiiVerse which can then be turned into more revenue!

• Git Gud Fox

Git Gud Fox Star Wrangler

I play on PC and Xbox One. I would be shocked if MSFT permitted crossplay. MSFT is extremely guarded about ideas like that. It's one of the reasons why Street Fighter 5 wound up on the PS4 and not on the Xbox One. MSFT wouldn't go along with crossplay.

Typically speaking, the point of the console is to be a "walled garden" model which means the console is like a private club that maintains exclusivity from the other organizations. There are exceptions, but that is exactly what they are, exceptions.

WilliamZ likes this.