Non-Existent Config Files?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by nekoCrimson, Dec 6, 2017.

1. nekoCrimson

nekoCrimson Subatomic Cosmonaut

While this isn't inherently game-breaking, I'm having issue with SMAPI not creating config.json files for any of my mods. I'm told that these are supposed to be generated when the game is launched/a save file is opened the first time a mod is installed. That doesn't seem to be happening, and SMAPI isn't reporting any errors, or anything else at all. My mods are all loading and working correctly, just not generating the config files.

There's another thread from back in 2016 that I didn't want to necro, where someone had a similar issue but the listed solution (running SMAPI with admin privileges) didn't work for me. The other potential solution listed in that thread (which was untested, AFAIK) mentioned mods being stored in the AppData mod folder, which I don't have and which SMAPI doesn't seem to support after 1.0? (Correct me if I'm wrong, please. At least then I'll know it's worth trying!) Other than that particular thread, Google isn't linking me to anything else either. I have SMAPI 2.2, if that affects what I need to do at all.

• nekoCrimson

I installed some new mods this morning that coincidentally gave me the opportunity to test something: mods that come with the config.json files premade can be edited and function as intended. In this case, would it be possible to ask the mod creator or another user to send me a copy their own config files and see if that solves the issue?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Please upload your log file to http://log.smapi.io and share the link so we can have a look, you might simply be overlooking something that someone else would immediately notice.

• nekoCrimson

Here's my most recent log, though that was from a little bit ago where I launched the game and then had to close it to take care of some IRL stuff, so it's not as full as it might normally be.

Though I would also like to report another change to the actual mod files; one of the mods with a missing config file did generate one eventually, so I'm wondering if maybe it might have been because I'd played through a full day with it instead of simply launching the game and then closing it. I don't know enough about SMAPI to know whether or not that would actually be a possibility, though. In any case, that was the particular config file I was looking for, so unless it's also failing to generate config files that should exist for Console Commands, Out Of Season Bonus, or XnbLoader (all three of which I doubt even need one in the first place), this issue seems to have taken care of itself last night.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity's sake, I made a new test character to see if the problem is recreated/re-solved, since Part Of The Community creates configs based on save files. Creating a new character or loading a save file does not generate the file, but sleeping at least one night (so, in the case of a new character, waking up on Spring 2) does. I think it's safe to say the error was on my part for misunderstanding the instructions. All is clear, now!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
          • Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

By my understanding, the config file for most mods should generate the first time that mod loads in SMAPI, you shouldn’t have to load or start a game, much less play through a day!
            There are a couple mods that save preferences per save file- UI Info Suite for instance- but even those you just have to load or create a character, not play through a day.

• nekoCrimson

That was my understanding of it, which was why it took me so long to find my "work-around," and why I'm so confused (and self-blame-y, I guess, since it's easier to just go "whoops I messed up it's my fault guys don't worry" than to stay confused).

I do have some final confirmation, though, after a bit more testing (and mod-hunting. Shout out to the people who pack their mods with config files from the get-go, but that doesn't make it any easier for me to test my theory out, lol)

The above is correct; you only need to load a save-file (or create a new save file, if you intended to start a new save anyways) to generate config files. It was one mod in particular (out of my original 10) that didn't come pre-packed with a config file, and that was Part of the Community. I now have 15 mods installed, which gave me the opportunity to ensure that this isn't universal. The good news is that there's a workaround (playing through the first day, or at least just sleeping through it), but I'm new to the forums and don't know what to do with any of this information except to keep it in mind for personal use? I've also never heard of anyone else having this problem, in the mod's threads or on the nexus download page.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Remember that some mods dont *have* a config file, if config files dont generate at all, even for mods that should (Aka, delete a config file for a mod you *know* has one, and it doesnt return) Then visit https://github.com/Pathoschild/SMAPI/issues and report your issue there, since config files not generating at all is a major issue.

• nekoCrimson

Renamed the config file for Faster Paths so it wouldn't be recognized, launched the game, and it generated a new one.

It's just the one mod (Part of the Community), and it does generate one eventually, but not when it's supposed to. All other mods generate their config files when I first load a save file, as they're supposed to. It doesn't seem to be an issue with SMAPI itself, just PotC, and I'm not sure what to do with that discovery.