REQUEST Witch's Hut change?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by thingwithwings, Dec 4, 2017.

1. thingwithwings

thingwithwings Phantasmal Quasar

Would anyone with map and tilesheet editing experience be able to add a small living area onto the Witch hut map? I'm in the slow process of creating a Witch npc and I'd love for her to have a proper home to return to!

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

I could do something, if you would have me, yeah! I'm already working on something else, but since you say you are taking it slow, I believe I could help you out!
      Though, I would need to know what you have in mind, specific sprites you would like to add, etc.

• thingwithwings

Here is the general idea I had (please forgive the awful photoshop) I figured the walls and floors would be as close to the rest of the hut as possible, and maybe the entry to the new room could be on the left side of the map (there's a strange plant there i think)

[​IMG]

I'm so embarrassed at how this looks ^-^'' It was meant to be just a general idea of where i think things should go..

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

I have a few ideas, but may I have creative freedom? I will follow your original design, of course, but once I start working on something I like changing things if I think they'll look better.
          I will obviously keep you updated once I start working on this and have anything to show.
          Also, would you prefer if I sent you the updates in a PM or can I can share it in this thread?

• thingwithwings

Of course! I've seen enough of your work to know I can trust you'll make it fantastic!
            Tbh, it doesn't matter to me if the updates are here or through pm, though maybe keeping them here would be easier?

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

I was able to work a little bit on this today, tell me what you think about the bed so far!
              This is just stage one, I wanted your input before I continue. I was thinking about adding books on the headboard, maybe a lamp.
              Bed_stage1.png

• thingwithwings

That looks great~!

kijikun likes this.
                • Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

Wow this looks good Karmylla.

Karmylla likes this.
                  • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Kitchen_stage1.png
                    First stage for the kitchen furniture, still very simple, nothing too much. Also, some bottles which will be added somewhere, eventually, and the beginning of a bookcase.

I was thinking of just making this little stand for the kitchen, add some clutter and be done with that.
                    Instead of an oven, I would add a small cauldron which would be used for cooking. Is that okay?
                    I'm making the furniture the same colours and visual as the rest of the Witch's hut, is that okay as well?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
                    • thingwithwings

Sounds good!

• kijikun

kijikun Void-Bound Voyager

Karmylla, you do such amazing work.

Karmylla likes this.
                        • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Okay, this is the first draft, just to give you an idea of what I'm working with. I've added a small kitchen, a cauldron, a dinning table, a little study area and a bed.

All of this will be updated, of course, I'm not agreeing with most colours, and the bed will have to be changed completely, so it'll match the rest of the furniture.
                          And I need to make new sprites, including the skull vase with a flower.
                          I'm a little meh about the location of the wizard's "pentagram"... I still haven't edited the sprite, so I think I'll change the design completely and make something else with it.

Tell me what you think so far, any new ideas and/or critics?

First draft.png

Edit: Would you prefer I changed the bed to match the furniture, or change the furniture to match the bed?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
                          • thingwithwings

Oh goodness, it looks so great!
                            I agree with you about the pentagram thing, it would be better to make something else of it...
                            The dark furniture looks better, imo. making the furniture match the bed would be nice :)
                            Maybe there could be a broomstick against one of the walls, as the one she rides around cursing farms on?

Karmylla likes this.
                            • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Yup, yup, will do that!

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Second layout! Getting a little more interesting, but still a draft.
                                I thought it would be interesting to add a little altar area, associated with the "pentagram" thingy, what do you think? I still need to tweak the sprites, of course :p
                                Also, I haven't done the new sprites, sorry, kinda lazy today x)
                                I wanted to make a smaller area, but I don't think it'll be possible :s
                                We'll see.

version2.png

Tell me what you think!
                                Edit: I just remembered, the witch already has a broomstick on the Witch Hut map, so maybe adding another here would be redundant?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
                                • Ellyssa

Ellyssa Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Overall, I'd say amazing job!

Not sure if the walls are final or not, but the edges (where the broom+candle are and kitchen) are very.. abrupt? Like, on other interior maps there is usually some sort of border/framing that pretty much says "this is a wall and where the texture stops for this, depth implied" (if that makes any sense)

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Yeah, I know, that will be changed of course, as well as many other things!
                                    I mean, if thingwithwings wants it so, I will change it :p
                                    I'm just showing drafts so we can get an idea of what we want as a final result.

• thingwithwings

Ah, I forgot there was already a broomstick! That would be a little redundant haha. I like the layout and positions of everything so far. Would that shrine of illusions copy be functional, or just for decoration? Either way is cool lol

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

The shrine will be changed, and will be just for decoration. Unless you would want something else?
                                        Edit: It would also help if you could tell me a little about the NPC, so the decoration can be more personalised!

• thingwithwings

Nah, there's nothing specific I'm wanting for the shrine-thing :D

As for the witch, at this point i'm mostly basing her character off of what little we hear in the game, and my own ideas based on that obvs.
                                          She's a very lonely, bitter person. Even though she and the wizard split up years ago she still isn't really over him or his betrayal, which caused her to leave him. Her character arc will most likely be the player encouraging her to open up, make friends with others in the town (i especially want to have her become friends with Abigail heh), and move on from her past. (might be making her dateable, but i haven't decided and that will be a looot of extra work haha)

She will look fairly close to the 1 sprite the game already has for her haha, only i've decided for now to leave off her pointed hat. maybe that could be laying around somewhere in the room?
                                          Once I have a complete demo (finished/polished portraits and sprites, minimal schedule, some dialog) i''l make a WIP post for her. right now i'm focusing on getting her sprites and portraits as good as I can

i really like the idea of her wearing all black but having like, one pink or baby blue dress hidden away that she used to wear for dates or something. like a secret kinder side she has pushed as far down