1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Wait, is lighting not pixelated? Heresy!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by redxlaser15, Dec 3, 2017.

1. redxlaser15

redxlaser15 Big Damn Hero

Wait, is lighting not pixelated? Heresy! This is a game which should only have blocks and pixels, that is the point! Yet staff lighting seems to not be so! How could this be? Burn all heretics! (Or just persuade them to fix this villainous problem)

2. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Doing so would require more CPU power by the user and i had people tell me the game is single threaded.

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Also, I can't even begin to fathom how awful that would look.

4. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Most likely like in minecraft

5. redxlaser15

Eh, fair enough, but still, I can't help but be slightly disappointed...

6. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

The engine would need to support more threads in order to successfully do it without lagging up a storm.

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

It would look absolutely hideous.

Actually I think it would overall be less demanding. Assuming OP means "pixelated" like Terraria has. In their early days, each block was illuminated based on distance from a light source, Also like Minecraft, and this method IIRC is less intensive, albeit not as visually appealing. Minecraft including smooth lighting was a fairly significant change.

8. redxlaser15

slightly less relevant question lazarus78, what is that 'genetically modified' thing?

9. lazarus78

Forum medal because Ive been fairly active in the modding section.

10. redxlaser15

I'm mostly active in the general discussion, and is there somewhere on your profile that says how many comments you have done compared to how many days I visit? I know at least some forums do that. I typically comment on something at least once a day and/or bring up something knew once a day, so it's probably pretty high.

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

If you wanna know what pixellated lighting would be like, head on over to Terraria Wiki and look up "Retro Lighting".

It..... looked terrible as predicted.

EDIT: Or not. Apparently they removed the pic I was thinking of. Odd. But yeah it looks terrible. Blocks are lit different amounts depending on how far they are away from a light source and it looks.......blocky. Very much so.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  12. lazarus78

This?

[​IMG]

Xylia likes this.
  13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, that pic. I looked up "Light" on the wiki and I'm pretty sure that pic used to be there, but now it's not. It was replaced by another pic which... doesn't show it anywhere near as well.

But yes, Retro and Trippy look awful IMO.

lazarus78 likes this.
  14. lazarus78

Agreed.

Even in Minecraft, when the "smooth lighting" effect came out for Optifine, it was EXTREMELY popular to the point that they actually added the feature to the game.

15. redxlaser15

This isn't about 'lighting' it is about lightning, with an 'N.' I just didn't notice till now I spelled it wrong when I made this...

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

lol!

That's rather funny hehe.