Biome Ideas Kilo-Thread

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Quillon, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Quillon

Quillon Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not quite a megathread...

Anyway, Post some of your favorite ideas for Starbound biomes here!
    I want to hear what some of the ideas you guys have.

Here are some of mine:

Dried-Up Ocean: Once I mighty ocean, This planet's water has long since dried up, leaving behind a desert wasteland of dead coral and sad Hylotl :(
    [​IMG]

Robotic: There Is no organic life on this planet. all of the planet's flora and fauna are entirely robotic.
    [​IMG]

Jonesy likes this.
  2. CaptainFoxx

CaptainFoxx Pangalactic Porcupine

Dried oceans sound a lot like Barren Planets, and the robotic planet has a similar concept in the mod Frackin' Universe under their Robotic Sphere type planets

3. Quillon

The Dried Oceans biomes would be a lot more intricate than I can demonstrate in the picture, as a non-mod maker. Dried oceans would have dead coral and Kelp fields, crashed islands scattered about, abandoned hylotl ghost towns that are eerily pristine, And the skeletons of iconic ocean creatures.

About the robotic biomes, I took the liberty of exploring some Cyber Spheres in FU, and they seem very high-tech and populated. Robotic planets were more inspired by that evolution episode from futurama.

4. Tlactl

Tlactl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The mighty ecosystem of robots rose from some nanobots dumped into a pool of murky water by a crazy professor.

Actually though, I hope they re add some of the removed biomes. I was snooping around in the assets and a lot of the files are still there

5. Quillon

I had an idea for a Temporal planet where weird stuff™ In the planets composition caused time to loop and create strange anomalies. Like, sometimes it would reset your character to five minutes ago, or the ores you just mined would reappear...
    no villages or dungeons, except for laboratories collaboratively run by Humans, Hylotl and Apex.
    Things you build could be protected by a manner of time fields, but only a fool or a hero would build a colony here...

6. ProfMoebius

ProfMoebius Space Penguin Leader

Some more ideas.
    Revenant: Something like the Outlands of WoW:BC. The remains of an planet that is no more for the one or other reason, asteroid-like chunks of land each a different biome clustered together.
    Citadel: An whole world entirely converted into one giant space-military fortress complex. Has boatloads of giant guns powered by the planet's core, mech assembly stations, vehicle depots and such. Think of like a Deathstar, except not moving on its own. Inspiration from Wh40k also.

7. Quillon

How about a meteorite mini-biomes that can be found on all planet types! Characterized by dark boulders strewn about a large crater, with a massive ore-stuffed meteorite simply in the center!

8. FlyingFloran

FlyingFloran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm working on some sort of candy biome, specifically because I think it might be a good idea, and there's probably some mega-corporations who made a candy planet or something.

9. ProfMoebius

ProfMoebius Space Penguin Leader

Talking of corporation owned planets, there could be agricultural, industrial and mining moons that have been leased to an corporation who has entirely terraformed and now fully owns the planetoid. Those planets would have an central hub with vendors in it that sells the production. To gain access to such an moon one would require to purchase landing clearance of corporation first, as they are restricted access.
    To make the purchase one must have sufficient reputation with the owning corporation, to grind repu youd have to do trading between stations, as every station belongs to the one corp or other. As agricultural and mining moons provide raw materials, and industrial moons provide metal ingredients to be purchased for very cheap.

Another idea is the junkyard moon. At this moon you would find plenty of salvaged equipment and have opportunity to harvest any little fuel the ships may have left in them, or outright deconstruct the parts as its an starship graveyard. Otherwise its void of any resources.

At an unrelated idea had thoughts of race owned worlds. On this type of world there would be two factions that belong to the same race and are hostile to each other. You can pick to do quests for one which makes you automatic an enemy to the other. This type of planet has to be very rare
    Frontier world: The expanding Novakid race has laid claim to this prairie world. You can make out their numerous towns and encampments that belong to the outlaws from the orbit.
    Medieval world: This lush world harbors quarelling kingdoms of Glitch. You can observe as Knights lay siege to the towers of an black castle that belongs to the dark glitch.
    Feral world: The Floran are known to regularly hunt in this forest world. Groupations of cannibals are known to be also present here.

In similar vein there is also the idea of Battlezone worlds, where modern military elements of two races are engaged in warfare with each other. Those can be an wide variety of worldtypes. Instead the normal town and npc spawns there are bases that spawn troops and one can encounter hostile mech using npcs there. Acess is restricted, cant beam down directly there are always 2 battleships orbiting such worlds, you must go to one and enlist as mercenary for that side then you can beam down using teleporter on that side battleship.

FlyingFloran likes this.
  10. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Really like the mockups. Always a nice touch.

Though I ought to remind you that multi-posting is frowned upon, so please edit your posts to expand them instead of stacking multiple posts back-to-back. I've merged a few of your posts, but some seem to have disappeared in the process... :facepalm:

Also, I was going to suggest a junkyard biome, but I see that's been raised. So, instead, I'd suggest a sort of 'outskirts' biome, with a large city in the background. In the foreground, however, is industrial waste ripe with salvage, greenhouse-based farms and perhaps some slumlike settlements.