1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Notice CAN'T LAUNCH STARBOUND? Read this!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mollygos, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Icoria

Icoria Void-Bound Voyager

I'm just gonna leave it at "This games sucks" and is not worth the money I spent on it. wth this many people play the game and there is no working solution. What a f******* scam. I am really disappointed with this game. I have uninstalled COUNTLESS times, tried EVERYTHING. I am a freaking computer scientist as a major and even I am getting extremely frustrated with this. I am so done :zzz:

2. Kfiat

Kfiat Master Chief

3. Travis Nakasato

Travis Nakasato Big Damn Hero

I use Windows 10. I recently tried opening starbound and it started as usual: The Chucklefish logo and it's signature laugh. However, immediately after, the game closed. No error message, no nothing. I re-installed Visual +++2015, but it didn't do much. (I think.) I tried deleting the starbound folder, but that resulted in security issues where I was rejected despite having permissions. I investigated by trying to delete the folders in the starbound folder and I was met with the same security messages. Then, I clicked a folder. I got an error message and it appears that whatever was in the folder no longer exists. I also tried editing the security info on the folders, but it said I need Read permissions, which I didn't have for some reason. I hope someone else has a solution to this, as my problem seems unique. The folders that have security issues are as follows: 2015(fixed? the folder disappeared...), docs, tile, win64, _CommonRedist, and vcredist.

4. Travis Nakasato

Travis Nakasato Big Damn Hero

same

5. ThePlays

ThePlays Intergalactic Tourist

Hey won't work with disabled Steam-Overlay. (Using OS X)
    What should i do?

6. jedrockin3

jedrockin3 Void-Bound Voyager

It just stops responding even before the chucklefish logo

7. UltimateCatTree

UltimateCatTree Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG] I've been having the issue where the window pops up but doesnt load the chucklefish logo and goes straight into unresponsive.

[​IMG]

8. Wickerson

Wickerson Aquatic Astronaut

This is a HUGE problem!

I have the same problem, it started when I tried to join a friend's game who had mods that i didn't. Now Starbound crashes/freezes at the Chucklefish splash screen.

I can sometimes get around it by restarting my computer, does this work for anyone else?

EDIT:
    So getting Starbound to work is a real pain, but (sometimes) I can get it to work by following these steps:

1. restart computer
    2. launch steam
    3. close steam
    4. launch steam again
    5. launch Starbound
    6. cross fingers

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  9. Kfiat

Kfiat Master Chief

Starbound is working!!!!

10. Kyle123

Kyle123 Space Hobo

help im haveing a startup crash and i really want to play starbound here is a a thing https://pastebin.com/q8vgBDGN also to contact me the best way go to my steam its Leafeon_Kyle me and my friend need help

please i WANT TO PLAYYYY

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2017
  11. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

The quest id "fuquest_clothingfabricator" is defined twice. So deffo a modding issue on your side. Most likely Frackin Universe so i'd ask in the modding discussion for support here.

Also avoid double posting. I merged your posts.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

12. Kyle123

Kyle123 Space Hobo

is their a way i can reboot my game so it is like when i first bought it? i need to know how because me and my friend are haveing the same problem:unsure:

Edit:never mind i found out why it was a out dated mod that was makeing me crash thanks anyway

but i need to do the game all over again sadly

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  13. anastiel

anastiel Orbital Explorer

I'm in trouble, my game does not start with steam, it opens the black screen and closes, if I open the directory
    C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Starbound \ win64 does it work anyone know why it does not work with steam? I'm not using mods
    have solution?
    my starbound.config
    https://gist.github.com/anastiel/277510606923dddc2f8b63d3018a09d0
    my starbound.log
    https://gist.github.com/anastiel/6d926a5dc945d4a700e7c4ab2f26172f
    and other error
    https://gist.github.com/anastiel/854b293dddbb85cd5930fd652058effa

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  14. anastiel

15. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

You used another mod which had this mod as a dependency. When adding mods to your game make sure to install their dependencies too. Either they're linked in the mod description or the dependencies are directly added at the steam workshop.

~ Iris ~

16. anastiel

Yes, I've been reading this.

17. Black Rose

Black Rose Void-Bound Voyager

I have a PC running Linux openSUSE Leap 42.3, which means that I had to get Wine to run Starbound because there were no .rpm files at https://software.opensuse.org/search?q=. However, the installation was successful and I was able to run Starbound without any errors showing up as soon as I double-clicked it. The problem appeared 30 seconds after I ran Starbound, and it showed me the following text:

Fatal Exception caught: (ApplicationException)
    Couldn't initialize SDL Sound: Audio target 'pulse' not available
    (And a bunch of strange code-like text I didn't understand, full of "][" right after that)

How to fix this error?

18. Partridge12

Partridge12 Space Hobo

Hi, I have the opengl 2.0 error. I have a GTX 1060 with updated drivers running opengl 4.6... I cannot make any sense of why this would cause an error relating to opengl at all. Am I missing something?

19. Kryger

Kryger Void-Bound Voyager

Launching the game, through Steam, briefly seem to flash a window which immediately closes. Happens every time, have never seen any game screens. No mods, pristine installation.

Error from log:
    Fatal Fatal Error: Floating Point Exception Encountered!
    Code:
    [11:27:21.220] [Info] Root: Loaded ImageMetadataDatabase in 0 seconds
    [11:27:21.355] [Error] Fatal Error: Floating Point Exception Encountered!
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star10fatalErrorEPKcb+0x43) [0xaaa7e3]
    /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x37140) [0x7faf51061140]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star4Time21monotonicMillisecondsEv+0x49) [0xa9fc09]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star17AssetTextureGroup11loadTextureERKNS_6StringE+0x3b9) [0x13d6689]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star10GuiContext11textureSizeERKNS_6StringE+0x1f) [0x141fa8f]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star4Pane5setBGERKNS_6StringES3_S3_+0x124) [0x1442c54]

System:
    Ubuntu 17.10 x64
    Geforce GTX 970 with Nvidia binary driver 390.12 (also tried the Nouveau driver, same error in log).
    i5-2500K CPU (3.30GHz)
    8GB RAM

Tried a few things:
    Uninstalled and cleaned dirs and did a reinstall. Error in logs remained the same.
    Tried "Starbound - Unstable", with same result.
    Install disk have over a TB free.
    Starbound server also won't start, but there are no errors in the logs - last line is
    Code:
    [11:11:38.034] [Info] Root: Loaded MaterialDatabase in 0.316 seconds
    See attached error log.

Any advice of things to try or workarounds would greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

20. Sparkyfirecheif

Sparkyfirecheif Space Hobo

I've recently come to having the game as well, and long story short. It will not launch.