I am so sick of Mixed Seeds.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by muttlover, Nov 10, 2017.

1. muttlover

muttlover Seal Broken

Can anyone tell me if they have any use at all? You don't know what season to plant. They have no resale value. And it seems that I get them more than anything else when I dig up those worms. I have so many and the only use I've found is that it is so painless to dump them when my inventory is full.

• CandyCreeper42

CandyCreeper42 Void-Bound Voyager

You can plant them in any season except Winter, and they give you random crops. Hope this helps!

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

As far as I can remember, they can be planted during any season except winter. They will give you a variety of whatever the season's plants are. They all will take 7 days to grow, regardless of the plant it turns into.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

They are also very fun to play with in the Greenhouse, as you can get any of the mixed-seed crops at any time of the year. It's like Greenhouse potluck.

Arlem and Leludar like this.
          • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

^ That's what I do with mine. I used to hate finding mixed seeds and would immediately discard them, but then I realized they're basically free crops so meh, why not try them out. I like to plan my gardens as far as what grows where, so I usually just set aside one plot for mixed seeds.

In my experience (and the Wiki confirms this), you mainly get parsnips, potatoes, and cauliflower in Spring; corn, hot pepper, radish and wheat in summer; and eggplant, corn, pumpkin and artichoke in fall.

• oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

I dont think that '7 days' thing is true. iirc their grow times shouldn't change. maybe youre thinking of the spring/summer/fall/winter crafted seeds?

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I'm not a big fan of Wild Seeds either, but there's a reason you are getting so many of them from dig spots. Once you fill up the library, when the RNG decides to get a book, but have no more books to collect, it gives you a Wild Seed instead.

Yes, Wild Seeds are basically 'free crops', however they're also free random crops. And the problem is that I've pretty much gotten to the point where I know which plants are best to plant in which season, and I've never had a problem filling up my farming area after the first spring with the 'optimal' crops, so there's never been any real interest in it for me. You can't get any of the Oasis crops or things like coffee from it, just stuff you purchase from Pierre that is appropriate to the season, so IMO there's not really any point, from a powergamer perspective.

Of course, playing potluck with wild seeds might be fun after you've gotten to the point where you have all the money you could ever need coming in from the greenhouse, and plant a whole field of wild seeds just to see what comes up. To each their own.

drakeotomy likes this.
                • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I use the crops as gifts. Quite a lot of people like them. Who, after all, can resist a box with a nice bow on it that contains asparagus, I ask you?

squigglyruth and LadySurly like this.
                  • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

My real problem with them, early game, is that they aren't really 'free'. Oh sure, they don't cost you money, but they do cost you stamina every time you water them. Which translates into less time spent in the mines as you try to race to Gold level so you can make Quality sprinklers for Summer.

• Ltfightr

Ltfightr Subatomic Cosmonaut

To me they make great crops in spring and Summer not so much for fall. After I plant what I hope will turn into giant crops (cauliflower and melon), I plant all that my energy/time budget allows or what I would have other wise bought seeds for.

• Zanguini

Zanguini Orbital Explorer

I used them on hard playthrough where i denied myself pierre and joja. use wild seeds and a seed maker took me 3 years to make the cc.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Only mixed seeds is a surprisingly fun play.

• Stryder87

That's quite possibly true. It's been a while since I planted mixed seeds. I could be thinking of all the winter seeds I plant regarding the grow time.

• wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

Once (and only once) a wild seed grew into garlic in Spring Year 1.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                              • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

While the wiki says that's not one of the possible outcomes, I'm not going to disagree, because I /know/ I got a blueberry bush from a mixed seed in the greenhouse, once, which is also not one of the things you're intended to be able to grow from them. I think on very rare occasions the game glitches and gets confused, and can produce 'impossible' (that is to say, not allowed under the rules) results from a wild seed. I don't think it's supposed to be doing that, but I've seen it happen at least once in my case.

wronghandle and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                                • wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

Yeah, I can't imagine what constellation of conditions came together in just the right way to roll that impossible garlic. I like the wild seeds for the element of surprise they bring to my plantings.

• Stryder87

They can glitch Ancient Fruit all over my farm if they want!

• EpicBellyFlop45

EpicBellyFlop45 Aquatic Astronaut

I made a mod a few months ago (BetterMixedSeeds: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/3012) Which makes mixed seeds fully configurable and has support for 9 mods. You can enable and disable every crop by season in the entire game and all 9 mods. The compatible mods are listed on the Nexus page. Hope this helps :)

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

If I'm doing a bundles run then I like to have a little gamble with them to try and save the cost of a cauliflower seed and a potato seed. If the RNG doesn't actually give me one then no big deal, I haven't really lost anything, because they weren't worth anything anyway, but if I get lucky then I saved 130g, which I can use to buy 6 tulips, which quickly turn into 270E with a few days of watering.

They're pretty useless for actual crop potential after then though. I already have plans for what crops I want for summer and fall, and onwards into year 2 and beyond from there, and I know I can afford them, so I don't have to roll the dice with mixed seeds

There's one other use for them; if you didn't get strawberries, or are expanding your crops for summer, you can also dump them in the ground on the last day of the first spring to preserve a bit of tilled ground for summer, which saves a bit of money on the purchase of sacrificial parsnip seeds. There's no need to repeat the trick as summer changes to fall though, because the blueberries do this already, or you can use wheat, which can actually be harvested on Fall 1.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

that's what i use, plus it could be fun if you'd put them in the greenhouse at winter day 1, and see what you get, cuz then all are possible
                                          i also have 1 character that's gonna use item spawner spawned mixed seeds only, cuz he's more of a fighter than farmer.... gonna have some animals, but not doing much with em, and only useful ones like chickens (blue and white, even though i also like void), rabbit, maybe dino, and then barn animals will be cows for milk, and pigs for money (iridium quality truffles ftw)

but yeah, no seeds bought at all, even if i cannot complete certain quests and cookings (gonna be on forest farm, so will not have that much space
                                          only will kill ancient seeds in fall, cuz they most likely won't survive
                                          once i updated the mods and game, i'll go newer, and use the options EpicBellyFlop45 mentioned, which lets you switch on or off crops for certain seasons

but yeah, i start my new characters with 1 big square of spawned mixed seeds, just to see if i'm lucky
                                          nice seeing several coffee plants, ancient plants and sweet gem ones

without mods, it's a matter of luck, and sometimes it pays off, i guess

imo it's fun to play around with :rofl: