RELEASED [SMAPI] Chests Anywhere

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Pathoschild, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Hi @supervamp78. You can ignore that error, it only affects the update check. The mods should still work fine.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

nirasa1957 and Xuomi like this.
    • SlashofaSword

SlashofaSword Aquatic Astronaut

I really love this mod! It's super helpful and the categories feature is really smart! Seeing as all my chests are in the farm and I use the Automate mod it's helpful to separate my Crabpots from my materials! My one suggestion would be to set a default chest that always opens or press certain keys to open certain chests. I most often find myself looking in my materials chest and I'd rather that be a default but sometimes I look through my crop chest to give a gift and forget to switch back. Other than this your mod is great and you're a very talented modder! I love using your mods!

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@SlashofaSword Thanks! I plan to support chest hotkeys in a future release. For example, this would let you open your materials chest by pressing CTRL + M. See the ticket for details. :)

Acerbicon likes this.
        • Lethality

Lethality Void-Bound Voyager

I would love to see the addition of a "next" and "previous" button or hotkey, so I can easily move through my chests that are not hidden. This would be especially helpful for my automated Junimo Huts making coffee.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Lethality The mod already has that. You can navigate between chests (default: left/right on keyboard, shoulder buttons on controller) and categories (default: up/down on keyboard, trigger buttons on controller). You can edit the config.json to use different keys. :)

• Lethality

Lethality Void-Bound Voyager

thanks, I guess that's what I get for not checking the configs

• Shmooey

Shmooey Void-Bound Voyager

This may be a dumb question, but how do I transfer items from my inventory into the chests?

Edit: Never mind. I had Shops Extender and More Crops installed and when I clicked on the items in my inventory to transfer the items nothing would happen. Clicking on the items did nothing. SMAPI was throwing out red error messages regarding Shops Extender so I removed that mod--as well as More Crops--and now everything is fine.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
                • tustin2121

tustin2121 Space Hobo

I assigned the toggle hotkey to the Y button on my controller, and the button now does nothing in-game. It's making the sound like it's closing the pause menu, so I'm guessing it's both opening Chests Anywhere and closing the menu (as Y is the close menu button once inside the menu by default) on the same frame.

I see this problem was addressed on page 5, a year ago or so, but it seems to have reappeared maybe?

• Arshness

Arshness Void-Bound Voyager

I have read that Chest Label system is deprecated and the suggestion was to use this mod instead, but I don't want the "access anywhere" functionality. Is there a way to disable that function? Or if not, could it be added in the future? I just want the labels. :3

Rather, at least, I don't want to access chests in the mines. If I could have an option to NOT access them in the mines, I'd actually love the access anywhere idea.
                    I feel like the challenge of the mines would be diminished to me by access to my storage options.
                    But I love the idea of not having to go "I came to the blacksmith but forgot to grab my geodes... sigh..."

So those are my thoughts.

THANK YOU!

• DragonDreads

DragonDreads Phantasmal Quasar

I have the chests anywhere mod installed. I do not think you are able to place a chest inside the mine. I tried it on the fishing levels and it wouldn't let me place one. You do not have to actually access any chests that you do not want to. You have to use the arrow keys (bumpers if using a controller) to search through the areas you've placed chests. It doesn't just show you everything everywhere at once.
                      Hope this helps.

• anothersarah

anothersarah Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's not about placing them anywhere, just being able to access your chests from anywhere, which includes the mines. I heard that there might be an option at some point to only be able to access chests in your current area (if you want), which would be a possible solution.

• DragonDreads

This is is how I play with the mod installed. I just don't open my inventory and access all my chests at any place I happen to be standing. I open a placed chest and move through the listings to find the one that I want to add or remove items from. But, in order for me to do that I access a chest where I am standing. You just need to control yourself with how you use the mod.

• Arshness

That's fine for people with self-control...
                            ;)
                            But seriously, I'd love to see a feature where they have to be in the zone you're in at least. That'd be nice.

Actually for me, It's pretty essential, because I find once I start cheating a little with a game, I tend to start cheating "just a little more" until I'm not playing the game anymore. This has ruined games like Minecraft and 7DTD for me. So hoping it will get a feature so I don't have to control this myself. :rofl:

DragonDreads likes this.
                            • DragonDreads

Yeah. I just don't use the access button. Once you start you just want to keep doing it so I never use it. I hope something comes along that works better for you :)

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Thanks for reporting it! I'll look into that for the upcoming Chests Anywhere 1.12 release.

Yep, I want to address that in the upcoming 1.12 release. I haven't decided how it'll work yet, so input is welcome.

I was thinking of an option where you choose one mode with options like these:
                                • Unlimited: access any chest from anywhere (default).
                                • No combat: access any chest when there are no monsters in your current location.
                                • Safe zones: access any chest when you're in a location where monsters don't spawn (e.g. not in the mines).
                                • Current zone: access any chest in the current zone (i.e. the main location + any buildings in it).
                                • Farm zone: access any chest on the farm, when you're in the farm zone.
                                • Disabled: disables chest navigation (but you can still edit chests and see the tooltips).
                                Another possibility which may be more flexible is to add a few options like this:
                                • Enabled during combat?
                                • Enabled in mines?
                                • Range: unlimited, current location, current zone, farm, or disabled?

• Arshness

This is fab, @Pathoschild Thanks so much for your hard work! <3

• Tinybillow

Tinybillow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think this is a super idea, and I would have loved it on my playthrough. Right now, its all or nothing, and more options would be awesome.

• margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

I would love the option to disable the name popup when mousing over the chest, but still leave it in the main interface. For me, nothing is too "cheaty", but the original Chest Label system mod didn't show "Chest" when hovering over an unnamed chest. XO, lots of love for doing all this work, Pathos!

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Hi @margotbean. Thanks for the suggestion! To clarify, do you want to always hide the tooltip or only for unnamed chests?