1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Bk3k's Inventory 1.26

More space, more tabs, better organization, happy hoarding.

1. AngleWyrm

AngleWyrm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like this mod, and have been using it ever since I found it. Thanks!

Pros:
    • The extra space is great; it avoids problems associated with picking up odds and ends that clutter inventory before returning to my main storage warehouse.
    • The re-grouping/tabbing; it's nice to find the tree saplings with the seeds, a logical and easy to find spot.
    Cons:
    • The amount of screen real-estate covered up by the GUI is a bit of a problem when trying to take something out of inventory and place it in the world. And putting things in the hot-bar to close the inventory first is a step backwards rather than an improvement over vanilla Starbound. I've got other stuff in the hot-bar.
    • Thrown weapons such as spears, boomerangs, bombs and darts don't seem to be grouping into weapons. Just noticed a Sep-3 update that mentions weapons categories, so I've downloaded that as it might have addressed this.
    I've noticed there's a bunch of basically unused space beneath the inventory screen...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. Legogod

Legogod Cosmic Narwhal

That might work if you are still using a monitor with a 4:three resolution, but that's too tall for 16:9 without shrinking the size of the UI itself. Besides, where are the new tabs and the pet stats going to go?

3. AngleWyrm

Do you have a screen shot of that?
    16/9 = 1.778 x pixels / y pixel, so something like 1366 x 768 resolution

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I'm not planning to change the layout of the mod itself, but at some point I was planning to put out an alternate UI patch for it so people have choices.

AngleWyrm likes this.
  5. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

p.s. I'm fine with throwables going into the default tab and not the weapons tab. I'd have to clean my "weapons" out far too often if that got changed.

I was thinking about this And actually thought you could implement new tabs very easily--there's lots of real estate underneath all of the inventory boxes that could just be expanded by ~20 pixels (or however tall a tab is) and then you've got plenty of room! I'd want even further separation--split saplings/seeds, lights/containers, furniture/lights. Put EPPs and..uh..EPP plugins/armor/vanity, split food/prepared food.

And if you could implement a search filter for the player's inventory, that'd be amazing..though I remember seeing someone say that wasn't possible--but I have no idea if that's true or not.

6. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

When I tried to throw a script on the interface, it seemed to be ignored. I even intentionally put a syntax error in there to provoke a log response... nothing. I just ignores it.

The thing about throwing weapons is they share a category ("throwableItem") with a lot of stuff that isn't a weapon. Separating what is and what isn't a weapon involves lots of item patches both vanilla and for all the mods I'm currently covering... no thanks LOL. Plus I kinda prefer to keep the armory tab as things that aren't disposable and I didn't want to take EVERYTHING out of the main tab.

Originally I had thought about having a vehicle tab but decided that there where just not enough vehicles(even including mods) to really justify them having their own tab. That decisions was reached before the player modular mechs where a thing and I kinda wish I had added that tab.

The thing about adding tabs now is it would force the people currently using this mod to AGAIN start a new character for the same technical reason they had to originally (starbound not simply creating default null data for missing tabs). That might even be tolerable for the forum where people can read what's in an update before installing it thus deciding to update or not... but the people using my mod on the workshop would just get screwed and most wouldn't know why because the updating of subscribed mods simply happens. So I wouldn't do that.

Unless Starbound gives modders their own equivalent to the versioning system. If they'd let me modify player data (and that needs to happen before actually loading it)... I could EASILY convert older characters just like the versioning system does for vanilla characters, universes, etc. In turn I could add more tabs without wrecking older characters. Alternatively Starbound could sanitize/default missing data rather than simply crashing. That would also be acceptable.

7. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

Ah yeah, I forgot about that step. That would be a problem. Maintaining multiple branches isn't fun either. I may just fork your mod locally and do it for myself.

8. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

The alternate UI I was planning didn't turn out exactly as planned, but here you are.

AngleWyrm likes this.
  9. AngleWyrm

Thanks bunches, looks great!

Here's what it looks like at 1280x800 x2 scale, with 1 x UI scaling
    [​IMG]
    Plenty of room to place stuff down in the world.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  10. ibigfire

ibigfire Void-Bound Voyager

That's very cool. To note, if running one of the Frakkin mods, either Races or Universe, it makes your .JSON file unusual in a way that make_versioned_json.exe does not like. If you get the error "Error! Caught exception (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: unexpected character parsing word at 135:24" or something similar, go to the line it states (for me it is line 135) and you'll see it lists the buffs that FrackinRaces applies. They have a duration of "inf". The compiler does not like "inf" so change the occurrences of "inf" to "999999" in the ephemeralEffects section there and save the file, then the conversion should work fine.

Do not worry, 999999 is plenty of time for the Frakkin mods to change the buff duration back to inf so everything should work fine from there on out. I hope.

11. TheTraveller999

TheTraveller999 Void-Bound Voyager

ok so i am a serious pack rat.... any chance of making the inventory a little bigger.... say maybe 12 x 20 or even 10 x 18? i really would love the extra space, either way awesome as it is

12. AngleWyrm

Have you tried Smart Tubes?
    You can off-load all that extra stuff and it gets sorted into whatever containers you decide.

13. TheTraveller999

for that i use the item transfer network from Frackin Universe.... my problem is i have so many mods and crafting stations it is just nice to have all the various items in my inventory..... ok pack rat and lazy :p

14. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I've had a few requests for an even larger version and am considering it. A few things about that -

I can't expand the main mod (and wouldn't) because that would mess with current users - rendering their characters unusable. On top of the GUI being too big for some already. I also don't want to fork my own mod because that's a pain to maintain. So I'd necessarily do something similar to what I'm doing with the inventory reskin mod I made for this. I'd load after and apply patches on top of it.

The current mod is 15 x 8 - or 8 x 15 if using the reskin. I'd expand probably by making it 15 x (something larger than 8).

TheTraveller999 and AngleWyrm like this.
  15. TheTraveller999

cool, i am using the reskin as it is now.... though i would have to start a new character, totally worth it though, lol

16. DIMMaX

DIMMaX Big Damn Hero

I found bug... Quest - take item and give it to -XXX- - quest failed ( -script not see this item in inventory

17. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I've never experienced this. I've done different quests of that nature with this mod installed (I no longer play without it) and never had that issue. This particular mod doesn't have any scripts anyhow, so the bug doesn't really belong to me.

And it seems odd anyhow, because there are no functions that look into specific bags. The player inventory is seen as a whole as far as anything else is concerned - beyond a versioning script (which isn't something modders get to use anyhow) and the player interface itself.

No I really don't think this would be related to this mod, but I could see how you might assume so. Thanks for the report in any case.

18. JustJinxed

JustJinxed Poptop Tamer

I don't know if it's already been suggested or not. (pretty sure someone might have by now)
    But a search box would be a wonderful addition! Just something that would greyout items that don't match, as you type in a string. And also maybe a "deposit all" icon for those of us who know we want to dump all our current tab into the inventory we have open at the time.

19. Legogod

Legogod Cosmic Narwhal

Looks like a compatibility patch will have to be made for Frackin' Universe's new Research currency. Will take a look at making one once I get some sleep.

20. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I haven't looked at it yet. Last time I did look (maybe a week ago or so) it didn't seem I needed anything more for FU. But you shouldn't need a patch per say if I just update this with whatever needs added.

edit:

I'm still not missing anything. Or rather anything new added should still be going to the correct place with my current whitelist/blacklist setup. So no additional changes seem necessary. Unless you speak of a pending change that isn't yet committed to the workshop version.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017