Modding Discussion A place to discuss map editing and other related stuff

Discussion in 'Mods' started by QuantumConcious, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

Clickable warps are normaly on the building tile itself, in the properies. The Property will be "Action | Warp Cord1 Cord 2 MapName"

• Tinybillow

Tinybillow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I understand that, but where is said building's information? I checked farm.tbin, and its not there, shed.tbin is the interior which isn't what I need ... that's the question I'm asking, no problems editing it.

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

@Tinybillow This link may be of help: clicky; particularly the 2nd table on the page. (Reminder, the top left tile is coordinate 0,0).

Tinybillow likes this.
        • Tinybillow

Tinybillow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you so much! The raw data is blueprints, DUH. Thanks again. :)

• TheTearer

TheTearer Phantasmal Quasar

How do you make areas buildable? Is there a property like 'Diggable' that lets you turn a square into an area that you can build buildings on? I'm tired of every map having almost perfect squares/rectangles but for that one or two spots of red. I've tried diggable, it works just as advertised. Diggable, but not buildable. If there's a resource that lists this, I've missed it--my GoogleFu is weak.

• Acerbicon

Acerbicon Pangalactic Porcupine

As far as I've noticed in editing, it will be buildable as long as it doesn't specifically have a tag of "Buildable | False" meaning it would be buildable if you had a tag of "Buildable | True" or nothing indicating that nature to begin with provided there's nothing on any layers above it to block it. However, when in doubt, use the "Buildable | True" tag on your background tiles if it's not working otherwise.

That said, even with all of the above I've noticed some areas being not buildable in spite of the above being true.

• TheTearer

Welp, I know why it's not working--there's a bloody hidden walkway under the trees back there! Argh. Problem is, I removed the trees (the 'always front' forest border, that stupid loopy bit on the left in the Forage map), but they keep showing up when I load a game! I even tried starting a new game with it, in case I'd finally encountered that "changes to the map won't load in an existing game" issue. I've made minor changes to maps before, so I'm a little bummed that I can't figure out how to make this one stick. Is there something more to removing those overhead trees than changing the tiles on all the layers?

I really need a Tutorial video like the one for tIDE, but on exterior maps, not just interiors. I already figured out which bushes are the berry ones by pure trial and error. ~mumble grumble~ Clearly other people are smarter at this than I am.

• Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

Oh, this may fix your issue - have the EntoroxFramework installed, and type "ef_bushreset" into SMAPI

• TheTearer

Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I tried it, and it did just what I thought with a name 'bushreset'--it replaced all the bushes I'd laboriously removed from the map. Didn't replace the map with the changes I'd made in the border trees though. I'm trying to remove that area of trees in the Forage map, the bit that sticks out on the left. I know it can be done, because there are mods that change it (like Monteso's https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/536/?). And somehow, unlike other changes I've made in tIDE, removing/changing all the tiles in all the layers doesn't show up when I replace the map in my files.

EDIT: That sounded snippy, didn't mean that. But if it's supposed to do something different than what I got, i don't know what I did wrong. Technology likes to not work for me.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
                    • Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

do you mean like this? Farm before.png Farm after.png

• TheTearer

o_O Yes! How do? Is there something more to it than removing the tiles on the different layers? Am I missing some property change or something? I mean I know I'm missing something, just not what.

• Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

aaaaah so are you just visually not seeing the map change? or can you not walk where the trees are?
                          would you want to upload your file, maybe I can see what's wrong?

• TheTearer

That's a good question.....Nope, I see the trees and also can't walk there. I'm trying to edit one of Ace's custom maps (just for me, I promise), because the only bit I don't like is that dangly bit. Here's what I did.

Attached Files:

• map.7z
                                File size:
                                12 KB
                                Views:
                            • Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

you are meaning this area? - map.png
                              because in the file you sent, it looks like the always front and the building tiles you would want to remove are still there

Check this really quick, make sure that the time edited on the map.xnb matches when you last packed the file. Sometimes if there's an error in what you've done, the file won't pack.

• TheTearer

No, the blue area. And you seem to see the changes I made. That's the problem, it shows up in the file, but the game doesn't register it. But I've made little changes to maps--making spots diggable, removing bushes, etc, and they've all registered before. So obviously I'm doing something wrong, or missing a step.

Edit: Just the trouble I'm having trying to insert the picture as an expandable thumbnail demonstrates this. Maybe I should stop trying to make my brain function today ;)

Attached Files:

• map.png
                                    map.png
                                    File size:
                                    581.3 KB
                                    Views:
                                • Acerbicon

Acerbicon Pangalactic Porcupine

How do you play it? Do you overwrite/use Xnb Loader or do you use Custom Farm Types?

• Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

I don't see the trees ingame either -
                                    I did notice some of the infamous invisible building tiles that prevent walking on parts of the map, but you just hightlight that area in the building layer and hit delete and that should fix.

Acerbicon has a good point, it may be how you are loading the file. I renamed the file you gave me to just overwrite my forageing map, not using that guys mods otherwise.
                                    what file from ace did you start with?

Attached Files:

• TheTearer

I started with Ace's Rudo86's Forest Farm, used Custom Farm Types. Then I got to the point where I was going to build a barn, and discovered I couldn't build it tucked into that corner of trees. Finally figured out there's a walkway under the trees, that's probably why, decided to remove the trees, failed. I think I just need to rein in my perfectionist 'but square lines! wasted space!' pearl-clutching and change where I put the barn. It's not like there isn't space.

Also I'm feeling more and more uncomfortable changing someone else's work even if it's only for my own use.

• Allayna

Allayna Ketchup Robot

Well, also, you can't build anything on grass I don't think... but as for the trees still showing up I'm not sure. You might try just editing one of the default game maps and not useing the custom maps at first. THEN maybe try to combine what you learn with the custom maps.

• TheTearer

Yes, I think I've started to hard. Also, my brain is clearly not working as well as I thought. I'm doing the internet equivalent of looking everywhere for my glasses when they're on top of my head. Sorry I've wasted people's time.

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.