1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Switch - Corrupted save file? Sleep crash bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by Typhoon, Oct 7, 2017.

1. MidnaMoon

MidnaMoon Space Hobo

I may of got this glitch too. I was playing the game I was in the process of upgrading my axe but I didn't receive my gold axe yet, the blacksmith was still working on it. But I went to bed and the game crashed. It didn't let me save. I'm reluctant to get back into it. At the same time I'm kind of addicted to it, but I did so much that day and bam, it's all gone... scared to reload my save.

I wont do much this time just to check if I'm stuck in Groundhog's Day. If it crashes again I'll move all the items out of my fridge and hope that works...

• Riskier

Riskier Space Hobo

I've been playing StadewValley on the Switch. I haven't really had any problems other than a crackling sound that I figured was just my speakers but it doesn't do it on other games so it can't be. However, yesterday I went to try to upgrade my axe to an iron axe and that night my game crashed before saving. So I reloaded it and tried to sleep and it was fine. So the next day the only thing I did was go to Clint to go try to upgrade my axe then went back home and slept but again my game crashed. Wondering if there will be an update to fix this since it seems a lot of others have the problem. Until then I guess I'm playing shadow of war.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Please see the following for info on what to do:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...tch_players_update_from_chucklefish_games_on/

• Shooms8015

Shooms8015 Space Hobo

Winter year 1..I'm trying to upgrade my pickaxe, but every time I go to bed the game crashes.. now if I don't try to upgrade,the game save properly and goes on to the next day.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• justmyster

justmyster Space Hobo

I know there’s a low chance of you to reply to me however I’m having major trouble that I would do much then try and save and the game crashes and says software has closed because an error occurred and it sucks because it’s keeping me from enjoying the game please somehow fix this issue sooner than later as I can speak for everyone here we just wanna play and not have an issue

• Marcats5

Marcats5 Space Hobo

Damn, did it again. I'm signing off until the patch. I can't keep playing the same day over and over :(

Shooms8015 likes this.
              • Alisuu

Alisuu Space Spelunker

Have you read the information about the known sleep related crash? Did the suggested workarounds in there work? If you have emptied a fridge spot by cooking, or somehow caused a gap in a chest line up, add an item to them. If this doesn't apply to you, please give more details of your actions during that day. The fixes are coming, largely because the community provided a lot of detailed reports which helped to narrow that one down speedily enough. If yours is something else, details are needed.

Edit: Typhoon, can you edit the info about the known sleep crash bug, or a link to it, into your first post. That way people who end up to this thread instead of the patch thread get it without needing to wade through 10+ pages, which not everyone realizes to do.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
                • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Good idea, will do. :)

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• alexs1995

alexs1995 Space Hobo

I'm having a similar issue to those on this thread. I've managed to pinpoint it down to upgrading from a copper axe to a steel axe. Whenever I try to do this regardless of season/day my game always crashes when I go to bed. It's starting to get
                    annoying now, as I need the upgrade in order to collect hardwood and progress. Please help, it's really putting a downer on my gaming experience!

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Do you have a fridge? If so, empty the contents into a nearby chest before sleeping. If that doesn't work please report back here as there are other things that you can also try.

There's loads more info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...tch_players_update_from_chucklefish_games_on/

• justmyster

justmyster Space Hobo

Yeah I went into the mines and I tried to go upgrade my watering can before making a few meals and fixing my wine stash and such I put a chest next to my Fridge I don’t really have that much food in there and when I went to go sleep so I can save it just said the software closed because an error occurred it even happened as I was trying to buy a pig and sheep
                        ah

• justmyster

justmyster Space Hobo

I was even trying care to my animals before saving as well and still that messaged popped up

• Alisuu

Alisuu Space Spelunker

https://community.playstarbound.com...e-sleep-crash-bug.137961/page-13#post-3226961

As such, emptying the fridge in itself is not necessary, or doesn't necessary help. The cause for the crash (in this particular case) is that when you don't have some tool in your player inventory, it checks all chests you have (where fridge counts as one). If they have "bad spot" most commonly observed as a gap in the fridge lineup which was caused by item being removed by non standard means, it will cause problems. However, cooking a stack empty or trashing an item from a chest when your inventory is full is about the only known ways to cause such "bad spot".

However what this means, in contrary to the now common "empty your fridge" solution is: just having an empty fridge is not enough, if you emptied it by cooking. The invisible "bad spot" still remains. If your crash persist, try opening each of your chest (fridge included) and add one item to each of them. The action of regular inventory handling seems to rewrite the inventory contents and thus remove the "bad spot".

• Riskier

Riskier Space Hobo

• Sailor_rob

Sailor_rob Space Hobo

Hello everyone! So I’ve encountered a save error as well, first I thought I was from finishing the mines but I’ve narrowed it down to upgrading tools.

Spring day 7, year 2. Ive tried emptying the fridge and my bag before sleeping, first it happened when I upgraded my axe from bronze to iron, but it happened when I upgraded my pick axe to gold as well. Booerns.

• masansgaard

masansgaard Space Hobo

Hey there- figured I'd share my experience.

I was hoping that I would be able to resolve the game crash upon sleeping by resolving the item gap. I removed items and added items to every chestlike item. Unfortunately I still resulted in a crash :(

I hope a fix is released quickly!

• sygys

sygys Space Hobo

Here is the fix for it.