1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Switch - Corrupted save file? Sleep crash bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by Typhoon, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

2. Psyshock

Psyshock Orbital Explorer

I never make it to the tally screen. It shuts down immediately after I go to bed. It's happening on Winter 3 of the first year for me.

Here are the things I did:
    -Fed and petted and animals
    -Milked cows
    -Upgraded pickaxe from copper to iron
    -Completed a bundle
    -Gave a birthday gift to Linus.

I also tried going to bed with no mining items in my inventory and still crashed.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Typhoon likes this.
    • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"Diamonds always crash the game for me when I use the "box" by the house to sell them. Immediately after you press "yes" the game crashes.

Some other mining items do it too.

I didn't get crashes anymore by:
      -Depositing all items in a chest by the bed so that I only have 4 tools with me(can, scythe, iron pickaxe, shears). 4 is arbitary but mentioned nontheless
      -NOT selling ANY mining items with the "box" by the house. Mining items include Copper ore, Gold, Iridium(or however its spelled) Diamonds, those red quartz, normal quartz). NO other product ever crashed me the game except the mine.

Also Chucklefish, some people report that the Blacksmith updating your tools can also result in a crash too!

CRASH happened with BOTH second tier backpack and third tier backpack."

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...sh_bug_on_the_switch_chucklefish_are/do9ns0j/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"For me...

1. The crash occurred before the tally screen (100% certain).
        2. The crash occured after clicking yes in bed (100% certain)
        3. I believe the crash occurred after fadeout started but before fadeout finished (70% certain)
        4. I had the 24 slot bag which I purchased at the end of Spring, and did not yet have the 36 slot bag which I purchased at the end of Fall (90% certain)
        5. The crash occurred for me in the middle of Fall of Year 1 (100% certain).
        6. I cooked Maki Rolls for the bundle, mined, and upgraded a tool to gold (100% certain).
        7. I did not finish shipping my mining goods as I was rushing back to bed to get to sleep before 2:00AM (100% certain)

Unknown: if I shipped anything earlier in the day, or if it was a day where I shipped nothing.

EDIT:

1. The crash occurred while I was in docked mode (100% certain)
        2. Stardew Valley is saved to my system memory.
        3. I do not use a pro-controller.

I play in both handheld and docked mode."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._bug_with_stardew_valley_chucklefish/do9nmvj/

• 8bit.jay

8bit.jay Space Hobo

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Does this happen before the gold tally screen is displayed?

• Shizcake

Shizcake Space Hobo

My info: crash occurs before tally screen when trying to sell. Have second backpack. Roughly 60 hours played I think it was. Three crashes in a row undocked, after making a mess in skull caverns with bombs. Has happened before after mining in the caverns but eventually did save.

These problems also seemed to start to happen after getting the slime hutch, although may be a coincidence.

Typhoon likes this.
            • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

A curious comment follows - possibly not relevant to the Sleep Crash bug, but just in case it's something obscurely relevant to a Switch O/S bug .......... stranger things have happened:

"This has been happening to my switch since FIFA came out and I don't have stardew valley. I think it's a switch problem"

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._bug_with_stardew_valley_chucklefish/do9rjd5/

also this one:

"This issue sucks. There have been some games with this problem. FIFA 18 one of them."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._bug_with_stardew_valley_chucklefish/do9zjpg/

Of course it's more likely that FIFA 18 also has a totally unrelated save game bug, but maybe it is related? Maybe an operating system bug for example?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
              • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"For me... - crash happened after clicking yes to sleep and after fade to black, but before the tally - happened in Fall of year 1 after a major mining session (I think I still had these items in my inventory? Don't remember for sure if I put them in a chest or not) - I had the 24 slot backpack - I was playing in handheld mode with joycons attached

It was the first crash I've had with the game, it was very sudden and surprised when it happened. I was experiencing a few lags and jumps in position in another session after playing for a while, but that was not when this crash happened."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._bug_with_stardew_valley_chucklefish/do9rgxz/

Please note the above in BOLD - in the following post:

https://community.playstarbound.com...le-sleep-crash-bug.137961/page-7#post-3225353

the user states the following:

I believe the crash occurred after fadeout started but before fadeout finished (70% certain)

Not sure if relevant, but worth highlighting.

• fiskstillman

fiskstillman Orbital Explorer

10kG bag, I bought it as soon as I could.

Typhoon likes this.
                  • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Shizcake

Shizcake Space Hobo

Fourth attempt at Winter 22, year 2. Did not visit skull caverns, did foraging, broke geodes, normal stuff. Went to bed at same time frame (after 12 am), no crash.

Typhoon likes this.
                    • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"Crashed on sleep before tally screen just as the screen went totally black. I had just won the fishing contest in winter and had those items in my bag. I redid the day and put those items in the chest and went to sleep fine.

Have been to level 85 in mines, have gold pickaxe, silver axe, copper watering can and fiberglass rod in inventory with some other random stuff like food and gifts for villagers."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._bug_with_stardew_valley_chucklefish/do9t5vg/

• darkaysahead

darkaysahead Space Hobo

I just encountered this bug last night on the 1st day of Winter (in my first year) and it’s really frustrating. It’s basically like everyday is Groundhog’s Day. After the day I go to sleep and the game crashes. I've tried a few different things but the game crashes every night when I go to bed. I do have my watering can at the Blacksmith and he's upgrading it, and Robin is building my first barn.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Does the crash happen before or after the gold tally screen appears?

Also, this works for some people but not all: put all of your inventory items in a chest and then trying sleeping.

Additionally, try going through a day without doing too much - no upgrades, no mine visits, don't pick anything up (boring I know) just to see if you can manage to get the game to save.

• darkaysahead

darkaysahead Space Hobo

Thanks. That seemed to fix it. I put all my items in the box and didn't do anything that day and the game was able to save. When it was crashing it crashed before the gold screen came on. I'm not going to try to do a normal day and see if I can save without crashing. I'll report back.

UPDATE: The game appears to be working fine now. After I did your fix, I went about a normal day and was able to save without issue. Thanks.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Cool, good to know.

• eXaminator

eXaminator Guest

The crash I described before (due to the first adventurers guild quest, further description on page 1 of this thread) occurred just before the save success message should have appeared (after I have seen the saving screen for a while). But as I read the reports here I guess I had a different crash bug as I didn't do any of the stuff described here (in fact I haven't cooked or upgraded any items yet, partly out of fear for the game crashing again).

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

This one is one of two users who is getting the crash AFTER the tally screen appears (all reports so far have stated it's BEFORE). I've asked him to confirm just to be sure.

"Had my first sleepcrash in Winter year 1 the other day, I have the largest backpack, have been to the bottom of the mines, and the only thing I can recall in my inventory other than tools was a sprig of holly. This crash occurred after the tally screen in handheld mode which is the only way I've played SDV up to this point if it matters."

"It was definitely during or after [the tally screen], not before, I remember seeing the tallies scroll through for the day before the software closed but I honestly can't recall if the grand total had appeared yet. I have gotten married and upgraded my house one time for more context, none of my tools are upgraded beyond gold and I'm pretty sure I spent that day fishing/foraging"

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._bug_with_stardew_valley_chucklefish/do9x3jh/

Edit: update on this:

"I cannot be 100% as it's been a couple days now since it happened. If I'm not misremembering it clicking on the little green ok at the bottom of the tally is what prompted the error, I don't use the controller style menu so I always have to scroll over to that little ok manually which is why I was pretty certain it happened during/after, though I've been through those screens so many times now it's hard to say for sure if I'm not just recalling some other instance of the tally screen. If I find some free time a little later I'll try to reproduce it, I haven't replayed that day yet since the crash."

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
                                  • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

@eXaminator Very interesting, so you also saw the tally screen then? Was it complete and did you click OK on it after it displayed?

In fact, did you also put anything in the box besides your house?