1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Switch - Corrupted save file? Sleep crash bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by Typhoon, Oct 7, 2017.

1. scssquatch

scssquatch Space Hobo

2. scssquatch

scssquatch Space Hobo

3. Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

4. Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

The following highly detailed post is copied from @ByDarwinsBeard post here:

https://community.playstarbound.com...own-issues-fixes-patch-1.138081/#post-3225122

"I'm having the sleep crash issue now as well. I will try to be as absurdly detailed as possible to help track down the issue.

My character is named Renée and is female, my farm is named Mayhill. It is a basic style farm. My cats name is Meow-Meow.

My farm consists of a 12x12 plot of cranberries, a 6x12 plot of pumpkins, a 3x3 plot of Sweet Gem Berries, a small coop housing one white chicken named Juice Box, and a small barn housing a single white cow named Ice Pop, both barn an coop have a single chest holding extra fodder, a Silo about half full of fodder. A storage hut containing four furnaces, four kegs, a recycling machine, a preserves jar, a mayonnaise maker and a single chest about 3 quarters full containing ore, metal bars, Quartz and fire Quartz crystals, and other non-food things I use in the machines and their products.

My house has been upgraded once and containes 6 chests full to varying degrees with things I've collected including crafting materials, gems, rare items, equipment and food. My fridge is full.

The southern half of my farm is mostly overrun with trees and the meteor had landed in amongst them, I haven't broken it open yet.

All of my tools are iron quality except my watering can which is gold, and my pickaxe which I gave to the blacksmith to upgrade to gold quality and forgot to retrieve. I have at least 2 heart levels with most of the town 4 hearts with 5 or six people, and 10 hearts with Penny though I haven't married her yet, I have the mermaid necklace
    I'm having the sleep crash issue now as well. I will try to be as absurdly detailed as possible to help track down the issue.

My character is named Renée and is female, my farm is named Mayhill. It is a basic style farm. My cats name is Meow-Meow.

My farm consists of a 12x12 plot of cranberries, a 6x12 plot of pumpkins, a 3x3 plot of Sweet Gem Berries, a small coop housing one white chicken named Juice Box, and a small barn housing a single white cow named Ice Pop, both barn an coop have a single chest holding extra fodder, a Silo about half full of fodder. A storage hut containing four furnaces, four kegs, a recycling machine, a preserves jar, a mayonnaise maker and a single chest about 3 quarters full containing ore, metal bars, Quartz and fire Quartz crystals, and other non-food things I use in the machines and their products.

My house has been upgraded once and containes 6 chests full to varying degrees with things I've collected including crafting materials, gems, rare items, equipment and food. My fridge is full.

The southern half of my farm is mostly overrun with trees and the meteor had landed in amongst them, I haven't broken it open yet.

All of my tools are iron quality except my watering can which is gold, and my pickaxe which I gave to the blacksmith to upgrade to gold quality and forgot to retrieve. I have at least 2 heart levels with most of the town for heart with 5 or six people, and 10 hearts with Penny though I haven't married her yet, I have the mermaid necklace which is sitting on the table in my house. I have been as deep as level 97 in the mine.

My day started with checking the weather, fortune, and living off the land segment on the TV. Weather's report for tomorrow was windy, fortune slightly positive, and the living off the land segment was about giant crops. The weather today was windy, I tended my fields, my cranberries were ready for their first harvest of the season so I collected them, I set aside 15 unstared berries to turn into wine and dropped the rest in the shopping crate. I watered my fields, then tended to my animals who where each outside in a fenced in portion in front of their respective buildings.

I returned to my house where I prepared an omelet and a fried egg. I ate the omelet and retrieved a bottle of blueberry wine from a chest. I left my house, collected an apple from a tree, then headed to town. I went to the community center and donated the fried egg, wine and apple to their respective bundles, I then went to the forest and fished in the river until about 9pm catching about 5 each of salmon, small mouth bass, and Chub, all gold star. From chests I got mostly bait, but I did get a diamond from one. I was using an iridium rod with a dressed spinner, and regular bait to fish. During that time I also stopped at the abandoned house and bought a pair of mouse ears which I equipped.

I returned to my farm, shipped the fish I caught and went inside. I went to my bed, the dialog came up asking if I wanted to sleep for the night. As soon as I selected yes, the system error message came on screen saying there was a problem with the software and that it would be closed.

My second attempt on the day went pretty much exactly the same except that I didn't make omelet, and opted to walk around the map collecting wild grapes. I gathered just shy of 200 wild grapes and shipped them, I did not buy mouse ears o. Once again, after returning to bed, the game crashed as soon as I selected the option to sleep.

My third attempt was just harvesting my cranberries, watering my crops, tending to my animals and going right to sleep. This time there was no crash and I proceeded to the next day.

On the following day I tended to my crops and animals, prepared a fried egg, retrieved the wine and collected the apple from the tree. I took the bus stop mine cart to the blacksmith and retrieved my pickaxe, then donated the items to the community center. I then went around the map collecting wild grapes, shipped around 200 again, then went to bed, again progressing to the next day without issues.

is sitting on the table in my house. I have been as deep as level 97 in the mine.

My day started with checking the weather, fortune, and living off the land segment on the TV. Weather's report for tomorrow was windy, fortune slightly positive, and the living off the land segment was about giant crops. The weather today was windy, I tended my fields, my cranberries were ready for their first harvest of the season so I collected them, I set aside 15 unstared berries to turn into wine and dropped the rest in the shopping crate. I watered my fields, then tended to my animals who where each outside in a fenced in portion in front of their respective buildings.

I returned to my house where I prepared an omelet and a fried egg. I ate the omelet and retrieved a bottle of blueberry wine from a chest. I left my house, collected an apple from a tree, then headed to town. I went to the community center and donated the fried egg, wine and apple to their respective bundles, I then went to the forest and fished in the river until about 9pm catching about 5 each of salmon, small mouth bass, and Chub, all gold star. From chests I got mostly bait, but I did get a diamond from one. I was using an iridium rod with a dressed spinner, and regular bait to fish. During that time I also stopped at the abandoned house and bought a pair of mouse ears which I equipped.

I returned to my farm, shipped the fish I caught and went inside. I went to my bed, the dialog came up asking if I wanted to sleep for the night. As soon as I selected yes, the system error message came on screen saying there was a problem with the software and that it would be closed.

My second attempt on the day went pretty much exactly the same except that I didn't make omelet, and opted to walk around the map collecting wild grapes. I gathered just shy of 200 wild grapes and shipped them, I did not buy mouse ears or fish. Once again, after returning to bed, the game crashed as soon as I selected the option to sleep.

My third attempt was just harvesting my cranberries, watering my crops, tending to my animals and going right to sleep. This time there was no crash and I proceeded to the next day.

On the following day I tended to my crops and animals, prepared a fried egg, retrieved the wine and collected the apple from the tree. I took the bus stop mine cart to the blacksmith and retrieved my pickaxe, then donated the items to the community center. I then went around the map collecting wild grapes, shipped around 200 again, then went to bed, again progressing to the next day without issues.

I hope this helps track down the problem."

• FitzChiv

FitzChiv Space Hobo

Joined the forum just to comment on the save crash issue.

Started for me last night when it crashed on a mid-Summer Year 2 sleep/save. I repeated the day in a different pattern and it saved fine the second time. The next in-game day (it was a thunderstorm day) I did the following:

Harvested honey, put in kegs, petted cat, collected mushrooms, petted and milked cows & goat, put milk in cheese maker, harvested maple from trees, petted chickens & ducks, collected eggs and put in mayo machine, then collected fruit from my orchard. Shipped all collected items. Rode my horse to secret woods, chopped hardwood, emptied and re-filled crab pots in the lake there. Rode horse to town, emptied and refilled crab pots in the town river, collected rice and grass starters from Pierre's, rode home. Cooked 2 fried eggs and maki roll to finish off the Chef's bundle at the Community Centre. Dumped resources in my chest and collected a yam from my chest, rode my horse to Linus' tent and gifted him the yam. Went to the Community Centre and finished the Chef bundle. Bought the 10,000G bundle in the Vault at the Community centre. Rode home. Put the lightning rod bundle reward out near my crops.

Spent the rest of the evening fishing. Went to bed around 11pm. In my bag I had a sword, tools, fried egg and bait.

Crashed.

Repeated the day again in almost an identical way.

Crashed.

Repeated the day again in almost an identical way.

Crashed.

I am irrationally angry that it keeps doing this. You can put like 30 minutes of time into a single day and then it's just gone...

I think the thing I have in common with a lot of people is the cooking element. The first time I cooked anything was the day before when it crashed. No upgrading tools or excessive mining. I did notice a pretty severe drop in FPS on the days that the crashes happened. Like, my character would jump forward in static jerks every now and then and the screen would flicker like it was struggling.

I'd like to say I'm not addicted, but I am and I need my fix! :)

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Very important request for information from Katzeus here:

https://community.playstarbound.com...sues-fixes-patch-1.138081/page-2#post-3225291

(Katzeus is the Community Manager at Chucklefish Games)

"Could players who have reported this bug help out with some specific details;
        • (Need more Details) Crash when saving/sleeping
        We're trying to determine if the crash is happening before or after the shipping tally screen. Also, have players who have had this happen shipped items on the day they crashed (which would trigger the tally screen).

These details could be helpful for us to nail down exactly what's happening. Please share anything you recall about when exactly the crash happens after selecting to sleep or any shipped item details. When reporting crashes, any screenshots of the pages inside your pause menus may be helpful too - they could help us better replicate the same stats/crafting recipes/collections that are in place for that character.

I also want to add - based on reports of this crash, we don't have reason to believe these save files have been damaged. We do understand the frustration when encountering a crash, and really appreciate the support helping us shake out these bugs. Please keep the reports coming, and we'll keep working to fix these outstanding issues."

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
          FitzChiv likes this.
        • FitzChiv

FitzChiv Space Hobo

I have just realised the days it crashed was when Cooking took ingredients from both my inventory AND the fridge at the same time. When I made a Fried Egg just from the fridge, it didn't crash. Will test it tonight and see what happens.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

@Katzeus, As per this very detailed post:

https://community.playstarbound.com...le-sleep-crash-bug.137961/page-6#post-3225276

"I returned to my farm, shipped the fish I caught and went inside. I went to my bed, the dialog came up asking if I wanted to sleep for the night. As soon as I selected yes, the system error message came on screen saying there was a problem with the software and that it would be closed."

My second attempt on the day went pretty much exactly the same except that I didn't make omelet, and opted to walk around the map collecting wild grapes. I gathered just shy of 200 wild grapes and shipped them, I did not buy mouse ears or fish. Once again, after returning to bed, the game crashed as soon as I selected the option to sleep.

My third attempt was just harvesting my cranberries, watering my crops, tending to my animals and going right to sleep. This time there was no crash and I proceeded to the next day."

• _acidic_

_acidic_ Space Hobo

I made a reddit post about this, located below, before I saw that there was an official thread for it. Here's my account:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...ating_switch_version/?st=j8ogf60l&sh=be0f0361

This game is amazing, and I've spent way too much of my free time playing it since I got it for my Switch. Going in blind and trying to not look anything up regarding the game has made accomplishments really rewarding.

However, like many Switch users I'm experiencing very annoying end-of-the-day crashes upon sleeping. To hopefully add some useful data to help get this solved:

• It first happened on the 26th day of fall of my first year. I had gone from level 40 to 45 in the mine and picked up a ring and hammer which I was excited about. I went home and sold what I didn't want to keep like usual. Upon sleeping the game crashes.

• I tried it again, this time going from 40 to 50 in the mine to see if it'd be different. Same thing happened (picked up [SPOILERS]some sweet boots from the chest[/SPOILERS] so was kinda frustrated)

• Next try I just tended to my farm which took like 2 or 3 in game hours or something and then went to sleep. It didn't crash.

• The next day is the [SPOILERS]Halloween event[/SPOILERS] and besides that I tended to my farm and went from level 40 to 45 in the mines. I'm rushing through the festivities not really enjoying it because I'm bracing for just having to repeat it again, but it actually does save fine for the second night in a row.

• Thinking it might be fixed, I restart my console in hope of further increasing my chances at avoiding the bug. I do 40 to 50 in the mines and this time don't sell anything after I get out. I put my entire inventory in a chest before sleeping as I've seen recommended as a possible workaround on this subreddit. The game crashes.
              /u/ConcernedApe , you made an amazing game that I really wanna continue playing, but I can't bring myself to put any more time in until this is patched. Hopefully my account of it ends up helping some. I know others are having a similar issue when they upgrade their tools, but that hasn't happened to me yet. I've only upgraded my pickaxe and axe though - and both only to copper.

Typhoon likes this.
              • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

That looks to be very helpful, thanks for posting it. Also, as per Katzeus's post here:

https://community.playstarbound.com...le-sleep-crash-bug.137961/page-6#post-3225299

Are you able to provide any further details please regarding the requested info in the above link, particularly regarding when the crash occurred?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
                  _acidic_ likes this.
                • Willyam

Willyam Space Hobo

Does anyone want to do some investigating on sleeping at specific times throughout the day? It seems to be one of the only similarities throughout posts.

• _acidic_

_acidic_ Space Hobo

All crashes happened before the shipping tally screen for me. I believe I did ship some things every day, including the days it didn't crash. I at least shipped some assorted crops (cranberries, corn, and possibly grapes), mayo, and milk every day. I'm not even sure if I shipped anything from the mine runs because I can't think of anything I get from there that I still sell instead of keep, but it's possible.

As for in-game times:

First crash was at 1:50AM so my first suspicion was it was because the game turned 2:00AM the exact moment I slept which would've triggered the pass-out

Second crash I made sure to get home earlier in case that was the problem, I think I slept around 12:30AM

Third attempt (which was successful) I just gathered my farm produce and stuff and shipped it then went straight to bed so it was like 9AM or something really early

Fourth attempt (which was successful) was right after the event so I went to bed at 12:00AM or 12:10AM

The last attempt which was a crash I can't remember the timing but I think it was between 11:00PM and 1:00AM

Katzeus and Typhoon like this.
                    • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Many thanks!

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Additionally, some info from people who have NOT experienced the sleep crash bug: (I'm posting these on the assumption that a few negative results can be just as the positives):

"I don't know if this helps because I've not had the crash, but I play in docked mode with a pro controller, with SDV installed to the system memory - I'm in Fall Year 1 and been to level 50 in the mines, I've never had a crash once when sleeping as i usually empty my inventory before bed, I usually only have Axe,Hoe,WateringCan,Pickaxe & Sword in my backpack (the first tier one you get for 2000G)

Just thought it might be worth knowing that I've gotten so far into the game & mines without a crash based on this information, so if someone is having crashes sooner but has a different routine to mine then it might give you a bit more of a lead to go on."

and:

"Likewise, I've completed all of the mines, unlocked the desert and made it 30 floors into the 2nd one and have always sold all my stuff in the box every night, carry all my tools except the sickle (all upgraded to iron at least), have donated at least 1/3 of the museum and am in Fall of Year 1 with 100 crops planted at a time with no crashes whatsoever."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._bug_with_stardew_valley_chucklefish/do9h6k5/

• lveg

lveg Poptop Tamer

Fully disclosure, I just posted about that in this thread yesterday (I'm the OP from Reddit). I don't want the devs thinking there were two incidents that met that criteria.

Typhoon likes this.
                          • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"It happened to me yesterday (Year 1, Winter 15). I spent the day by visiting Abigail and playing that King of the Prairie game, fishing (found a frozen tear and an ancient seed!), and then went to the mines for a bit. Came back to the farm and put what I wanted to sell into the shipping chest, but I didn't empty my inventory into a chest. I just went to sleep with my inventory. That's when I got the error and lost that day. I played it over, and this time I skipped the Abigail part and just fished and mined. I emptied my inventory into a chest and went to sleep, and the day saved this time.

It hadn't happened to me since Year 1, Fall 11. That time I emptied my inventory into a chest and slept, and that worked. I can't remember what I was doing that day before it crashed."

more info from same user stating that the crash happens BEFORE the tally screen:

"Every time is has crashed, it has done it right after I hit "Yes" on the "Are you ready to sleep?" Question. I select yes, the screen goes black and I get the error. The shipping tally never pops up."

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...sh_bug_on_the_switch_chucklefish_are/do9jdbk/

• fiskstillman

fiskstillman Orbital Explorer

Hi, I wanted to share my crashing issue in this thread too.
                              It always crashes when I select "yes" to sleep. Never later. Crashing began when I upgraded my house in year 1 winter, with maybe a crash once in spring and summer in year 2. Now in year 2 fall, I'm crashing more than saving. I have all tools upgraded to gold, and community center one area away from completion. (Friendship)
                              I've tried many of the possible solutions I've seen in threads and reddit. The only way to not crash anymore is check crops and animals then sleep. If I dare have a productive day, it crashes.

Typhoon likes this.
                              • Willyam

Willyam Space Hobo

To the people this is happening to:
                                What size bag are you using? 2000g one? 10000g one? How long ago was it that you upgraded?

Typhoon likes this.
                                • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

That's a great question, I like your line of thinking.