1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Stardew Valley SWITCH: Known Issues & Fixes (Patch 1)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Katzeus, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Update: The patch is now live. Players may need to press + to manage software for the game to update. The update version is 1.2.36

Hello everyone,

We're still closely monitoring for bugs and issues which Nintendo Switch players may be seeing. We're going to try updating things inside this thread to make it easier on everyone to get an overview of where things are at.

Here's a list of issues which we've identified since launching on the Nintendo Switch. If you're having a problem in this list marked 'need more details' it would be helpful to provide more info - we're still working on reproducing/determining a cause for these issues. If your issue isn't listed here then please be as detailed as possible reporting it so we can review. Always check you have the newest game/system updates before reporting an issue to make sure it hasn't already been fixed!

Color Key:
    Fixed - This issue should be resolved in the recent bugfix patch
    In Develop - Fixed or have a solution in development for a future update.
    Investigating - We have reproduced or confirmed this is an issue, but are still developing a solution
    Need More Details - We're aware of the issue, but don't yet have enough information to reproduce/fix

• (Fixed) Left Speaker Audio crackling
    • (Fixed) Community Center bundle windows can display incorrect hover details
    • (Fixed) Wizard slay monster quest displaying 0 for all values
    • (Fixed) Crash when opening quest journal with no quests available
    • (Fixed) Unable to select certain items in crafting menu
    • (Fixed) Screen alignment issues during heart events
    • (Fixed) Can't drop items with controller-style menu enabled
    • (Fixed) Crash when saving/sleeping (with or without kitchen)
    • (Fixed) Temp softlock when pressing A+B together while eating
    • (Fixed) Tools placed on the organize button of a chest go missing
    • (Fixed) Crash when pressing the '-' button at saloon arcade
    • (Fixed) Button inputs for 'Prairie King' are flipped
    • (Fixed) Looping music
    • (Fixed) Joycon controllers become unresponsive
    • (Fixed) Fixed issue that created the unintended ability to skip saving at night with a well-timed button press.
    • (Fixed) Fixed the inability of players to drop items without deleting them when using the cursor mode that snaps to UI elements.
    • (Fixed) The saving screen is now animated
    • (Fixed) Save times have been improved
    • (Fixed) The game now detects Simplified / Traditional Chinese environments on first start up and defaults to the Simplified Chinese localisation instead of English.
    • (Fixed) The new Switch video recording feature is now supported.
    • (Fixed) No rumble when joycons are attached
    • (Reproduced) Steam shader alignment issue in spa
    • (Reproduced) Formatting issue on Adventure Guild progress sheet
    • (Reproduced) No rumble when joycons are attached
    • (Reproduced) Can't place donations on bottom rows at museum
    • (Reproduced) Footstep sounds not synced correctly
    • (Need more Details) Crash when loading save
    • (Need more Details) Crash with SD card error
    • (Need more Details) Softlock during museum donation
    • (Need more Details) Softlock while fishing

The plan right now is to release a patch ASAP to address as many of these issues as we can, but we'll need player reports to be as detailed as possible in order to properly identify/fix these bugs. Our priority obviously are bugs which impact gameplay like crashes.

There are still some issues which have been reported, but are not listed above. This is usually because we haven't seen enough reports/gotten enough details to identify it for escalation. If you've having an issue not listed here please report it with as much detail as possible so we can evaluate it.

Many of these issues have threads dedicated to them - posting details either here or in the corresponding thread would be helpful - we'll do our best to make sure any new info/workarounds are communicated in both places to make sure players can find that info easily.

If you're reporting a bug which was originally reported outside the forums (I'm looking at you @Typhoon haha) please make sure to add a link to the original post - we may need to contact that player directly for more details.

We're going to continue monitoring these and any newly reported problems, so please provide as much information as possible for any issues you may run into! Thanks everyone!!

Workarounds: There are a few bugs listed here which can be worked around by disabling the option 'Use Controller-style menus' under game options. These include 'Unable to open certain items in the crafting menu' and 'Can't drop items'. Disabling that option should provide a temp-workaround for players running into these issues.

For the crash when sleeping bug - many players have reported that moving all inventory from their fridge into a new chest before sleeping has resolved this. Either adding or removing an item from your fridge or adding/removing an item from your chests should resolve the cause of this until there's a fix in place.

@tccoxon has provided a quick explanation of what the cause of this bug was if you're interested in some technical details.

Update: The patch has been submitted to Nintendo for final review. All issues marked (Submitted) are included.

Update: The patch is now live. Players may need to press + to manage software for the game to update. The update version is 1.2.36

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for posting this list Katzeus.

Ragarding the Looping Music bug - it happens so often that in order to reproduce it somebody on your team just needs to play the game for maybe half an hour or so, then try the PC version and you'll hear the difference (or, better still, vice versa). People who are used to the PC version are more likely to notice the bug in the Switch version, but even if you've not played it on the PC the bug is still notceable when you are aware and listen for it. Remember that part of the problem is that music even sometimes plays late into the night (when outside) and that shouldn't happen.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
        Katzeus likes this.
      • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Regarding "Wizard slay monster quest displaying 0 for all values", remember that some other quests also have problems. For example, the quest to slay 10 slimes doesn't always register slime slaying, instead it only registers when the player slays Rock Crabs. Please see this screenshot for example:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL3dpZlUQAAPPpF.jpg

Katzeus likes this.
        • Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I found this bug with swords and the A button guard. If you are holding the sword and attempt to interact with locked doors from a tiny distance (as in not standing directly against it but close enough to use it) the sword will glitch into its guard stance and float in front of you indefinitely. Even if you change your item or tool bar the sword will not correct itself; you can not use any items, interact with objects, villagers, or animals. The only way to fix this appears to be to either reset the game, or go to bed (or wait until the day is over.)

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• HyperJ

HyperJ Void-Bound Voyager

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Here's a very interesting update to the audio crackle bug (which I know has been identified and is being fixed):

"A temporary fix for the Audio cracking glitch is to set the sound in the Switch system settings to "Mono." Please be aware that there are two separate audio settings on the Switch, one for handheld mode, and one for docked television output. Be sure to set the correct one or both for your playing preference.

This fixes 95+% of the audio crackling. The remaining occurances of crackling is when you switch between docked/handheld mode. This implies there are two entirely different audio crackling glitches; one which only comes out of the right audio channel which occurs randomly and is removed by going mono, and a separate one associated with docking/undocking that is in the left audio channel which causes it to still happen in mono."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...nsive_official_list_of_known_stardew/do83tmh/

Question for @Chucklefish or @Katzeus - are you aware of BOTH instances of the audio crackle bug as outlined above?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
            • rickylian

rickylian Master Chief

My game crashes every time I went to bed after mining during the Winter. If I put all of my ores in the chest before bed it won't crash.

Tomkingno and Typhoon like this.
              • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"I have only had two glitches so far. One is that crackling noise, the other is for some reason everything I tried to do kept pulling up my crab pot that was on my farm, no matter where I was or what button I pressed."

Like the hat? on Neogaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443101&page=40

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"I couldn't seem to find any posts or info on this bug I've encountered in the switch version.

Note: So far I've only seen this in Shane's cutscenes. (this is my very first playthrough)

In a couple scenes, particularly the 8 heart and 10 heart scenes with shane, the camera seems to get stuck panning into the scene. The result is the the scene plays out off-screen while the camera stares at an empty room/section. The scenes complete and everything resumes as normal, but it was pretty disappointing to miss the non-dialog bits of those scenes because the camera was off looking elsewhere.

Has anyone else seen this in other places? Is it a known issue?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/75qdrv/bug_cutscene_camera_misaligned_switch_ver/

Similar to this bug:

"The ten heart Harvey event was broken for me. The camera scrolled up past the balloon and off the map while I was docked."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do1s6of/

and another:

(Switch) Shanes 8/10 Heart Event have a really dumb camera bug where you dont see anything...

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal...ch_shanes_810_heart_event_have_a_really_dumb/

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
                  • mrterraware

mrterraware Space Hobo

Bug: Game crash on saving
                    Cause: Upgrading tools
                    Exp: I have done about 4 hours of testing as well as posts on reddit about this issue. The crash itself is dependent on you upgrading a tool (usually the pickaxe) with clint and then going to sleep. For me the issue occured only when trying to upgrate to iridium. For some it occurs when going to gold. This issue makes progressing past a certain point impossible (skeleton mine)

link to reddit post with more accounts: https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/758140/tool_upgrade_bug/?st=J8NERJJ4&sh=1b165628

madeline89 likes this.
                    • Willyam

Willyam Space Hobo

For me it's upgrading my copper watering can to silver.
                      What's the date in your game? Someone made a good point that it's mostly happening during/after summer of year 1. For instance, it's happening to me on Winter 1 year 1.
                      I'm thinking it has something to do with accumulated items, seeing as comparing the clearing inventory fix and the time period of the crash happening.

Typhoon likes this.
                      • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

I completely agree, I guess the programmers are also thinking along the same lines?

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• mrterraware

mrterraware Space Hobo

For me the issue began in Spring of Year two, but i had not attempted to upgrade the pick to iridium in winter because of funds.

I wonder what items are causing it cause ill cleanse all my chests of the items if anyone knows it aha

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"It's too bad they don't have the main menu freezing bug on their list. It happened to me today each time I tried to load in and then again after I restarted my console so I googled it and it's an old bug.

The workaround is manually set your console's date to any time before October 2015 and then it stops freezing. Supposedly if your system clock goes back to the current date it will happen again though."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...nsive_official_list_of_known_stardew/do8d5vk/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• ByDarwinsBeard

ByDarwinsBeard Seal Broken

I'm having the sleep crash issue now as well. I will try to be as absurdly detailed as possible to help track down the issue.

My character is named Renée and is female, my farm is named Mayhill. It is a basic style farm. My cats name is Meow-Meow.

My farm consists of a 12x12 plot of cranberries, a 6x12 plot of pumpkins, a 3x3 plot of Sweet Gem Berries, a small coop housing one white chicken named Juice Box, and a small barn housing a single white cow named Ice Pop, both barn an coop have a single chest holding extra fodder, a Silo about half full of fodder. A storage hut containing four furnaces, four kegs, a recycling machine, a preserves jar, a mayonnaise maker and a single chest about 3 quarters full containing ore, metal bars, Quartz and fire Quartz crystals, and other non-food things I use in the machines and their products.

My house has been upgraded once and containes 6 chests full to varying degrees with things I've collected including crafting materials, gems, rare items, equipment and food. My fridge is full.

The southern half of my farm is mostly overrun with trees and the meteor had landed in amongst them, I haven't broken it open yet.

All of my tools are iron quality except my watering can which is gold, and my pickaxe which I gave to the blacksmith to upgrade to gold quality and forgot to retrieve. I have at least 2 heart levels with most of the town 4 hearts with 5 or six people, and 10 hearts with Penny though I haven't married her yet, I have the mermaid necklace
                              I'm having the sleep crash issue now as well. I will try to be as absurdly detailed as possible to help track down the issue.

My character is named Renée and is female, my farm is named Mayhill. It is a basic style farm. My cats name is Meow-Meow.

My farm consists of a 12x12 plot of cranberries, a 6x12 plot of pumpkins, a 3x3 plot of Sweet Gem Berries, a small coop housing one white chicken named Juice Box, and a small barn housing a single white cow named Ice Pop, both barn an coop have a single chest holding extra fodder, a Silo about half full of fodder. A storage hut containing four furnaces, four kegs, a recycling machine, a preserves jar, a mayonnaise maker and a single chest about 3 quarters full containing ore, metal bars, Quartz and fire Quartz crystals, and other non-food things I use in the machines and their products.

My house has been upgraded once and containes 6 chests full to varying degrees with things I've collected including crafting materials, gems, rare items, equipment and food. My fridge is full.

The southern half of my farm is mostly overrun with trees and the meteor had landed in amongst them, I haven't broken it open yet.

All of my tools are iron quality except my watering can which is gold, and my pickaxe which I gave to the blacksmith to upgrade to gold quality and forgot to retrieve. I have at least 2 heart levels with most of the town for heart with 5 or six people, and 10 hearts with Penny though I haven't married her yet, I have the mermaid necklace which is sitting on the table in my house. I have been as deep as level 97 in the mine.

My day started with checking the weather, fortune, and living off the land segment on the TV. Weather's report for tomorrow was windy, fortune slightly positive, and the living off the land segment was about giant crops. The weather today was windy, I tended my fields, my cranberries were ready for their first harvest of the season so I collected them, I set aside 15 unstared berries to turn into wine and dropped the rest in the shopping crate. I watered my fields, then tended to my animals who where each outside in a fenced in portion in front of their respective buildings.

I returned to my house where I prepared an omelet and a fried egg. I ate the omelet and retrieved a bottle of blueberry wine from a chest. I left my house, collected an apple from a tree, then headed to town. I went to the community center and donated the fried egg, wine and apple to their respective bundles, I then went to the forest and fished in the river until about 9pm catching about 5 each of salmon, small mouth bass, and Chub, all gold star. From chests I got mostly bait, but I did get a diamond from one. I was using an iridium rod with a dressed spinner, and regular bait to fish. During that time I also stopped at the abandoned house and bought a pair of mouse ears which I equipped.

I returned to my farm, shipped the fish I caught and went inside. I went to my bed, the dialog came up asking if I wanted to sleep for the night. As soon as I selected yes, the system error message came on screen saying there was a problem with the software and that it would be closed.

My second attempt on the day went pretty much exactly the same except that I didn't make omelet, and opted to walk around the map collecting wild grapes. I gathered just shy of 200 wild grapes and shipped them, I did not buy mouse ears o. Once again, after returning to bed, the game crashed as soon as I selected the option to sleep.

My third attempt was just harvesting my cranberries, watering my crops, tending to my animals and going right to sleep. This time there was no crash and I proceeded to the next day.

On the following day I tended to my crops and animals, prepared a fried egg, retrieved the wine and collected the apple from the tree. I took the bus stop mine cart to the blacksmith and retrieved my pickaxe, then donated the items to the community center. I then went around the map collecting wild grapes, shipped around 200 again, then went to bed, again progressing to the next day without issues.

is sitting on the table in my house. I have been as deep as level 97 in the mine.

My day started with checking the weather, fortune, and living off the land segment on the TV. Weather's report for tomorrow was windy, fortune slightly positive, and the living off the land segment was about giant crops. The weather today was windy, I tended my fields, my cranberries were ready for their first harvest of the season so I collected them, I set aside 15 unstared berries to turn into wine and dropped the rest in the shopping crate. I watered my fields, then tended to my animals who where each outside in a fenced in portion in front of their respective buildings.

I returned to my house where I prepared an omelet and a fried egg. I ate the omelet and retrieved a bottle of blueberry wine from a chest. I left my house, collected an apple from a tree, then headed to town. I went to the community center and donated the fried egg, wine and apple to their respective bundles, I then went to the forest and fished in the river until about 9pm catching about 5 each of salmon, small mouth bass, and Chub, all gold star. From chests I got mostly bait, but I did get a diamond from one. I was using an iridium rod with a dressed spinner, and regular bait to fish. During that time I also stopped at the abandoned house and bought a pair of mouse ears which I equipped.

I returned to my farm, shipped the fish I caught and went inside. I went to my bed, the dialog came up asking if I wanted to sleep for the night. As soon as I selected yes, the system error message came on screen saying there was a problem with the software and that it would be closed.

My second attempt on the day went pretty much exactly the same except that I didn't make omelet, and opted to walk around the map collecting wild grapes. I gathered just shy of 200 wild grapes and shipped them, I did not buy mouse ears or fish. Once again, after returning to bed, the game crashed as soon as I selected the option to sleep.

My third attempt was just harvesting my cranberries, watering my crops, tending to my animals and going right to sleep. This time there was no crash and I proceeded to the next day.

On the following day I tended to my crops and animals, prepared a fried egg, retrieved the wine and collected the apple from the tree. I took the bus stop mine cart to the blacksmith and retrieved my pickaxe, then donated the items to the community center. I then went around the map collecting wild grapes, shipped around 200 again, then went to bed, again progressing to the next day without issues.

I hope this helps track down the problem.

aaeonfox55, Katzeus, Typhoon and 2 others like this.