The Take Down SDVMods.net Initiative - Help remove this content thieving website here!

Discussion in 'Mods' started by madelinealex, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Mattsocool444

Mattsocool444 Void-Bound Voyager

What a big d@!@.
    He posted this on his real account according to keodau27:
    "People get to know about who you are, by your manners, polite behaviour, and polished etiquette."
    :wtf:
    Edit:I just now noticed the last time anyone posted anything.....we must revive this thread!

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

The authors themselves need to go after SDVMods, or authorise someone else to do it on their account, as otherwise no legal DCMA claims can be made against the website.

• Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

Eh, I've complained and ridiculed enough. The page hasn't been updated in ages. Everything there is outdated, I've had his page removed from the official Stardew Reddit page, I think we've made our mark.

eemie likes this.
        • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Its still on the first page for google if you search for "Stardew Valley Mods" >_< As long as that is the case I do not think we have made our mark -enough-

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Does anyone also know this site:
            www.stardew-valley.org

It has uploaded my mod without my consent. It has a takedown button, but I don't know if they will do it.

• Honor Shipping

Honor Shipping Big Damn Hero

Reading through the site, I've gathered that it's a fansite run by avid Dutch fans of the game. They seem legitimate, but they don't claim responsibility for much of anything that might go wrong, so that's bit weird to me, considering how they worded things. Although I'd assume that Dutch is their first language, so to them it probably is normal wording (good English though). I'd read their FAQ page as that has stuff to do with mods. They say to contact them with the tag "business inquiry" to get benefits for having your mod uploaded to their site. There's not anything but giving you credit for the mod and putting a link for monetary donations either through PayPal or Patreon at the moment, but they claim to be adding more.

I don't think they're trying to steal mods or anything, so I wouldn't be too worried.

• Androxilogin

Stealing in a sense of just taking and reuploading without author consent is still stealing, regardless of intentions..

• Honor Shipping

They say contact them if there's an issue. If they were truly stealing then I'm fairly certain they wouldn't offer removal or benefits upon contacting them.

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I contacted them, I'm waiting for their response.
                    On the form there is a textarea to say how they can do to improve their site.
                    There I said they should put link to the mod'ss page, instead of putting direct download links.
                    Their version of my file is pretty old. If their intention is truly help people find mods, they should link to the author page, so people can get up to date info on the mods.

• Honor Shipping

Okay, keep me updated 'cause I'm curious as to what happens.

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

He contacted me, explained himself and asked me to send him a message through nexus to verify I'm indeed the mods creator.
                        I answered politely and explained what I think.
                        Let's see how this goes.

Here are both messagens:

• Androxilogin

So if someone walks in a store, steals merch, walks out of the store, that's completely fine because no one said anything? As long as they mention it after the fact, everything's okay, they'll just give it back without repercussion.. I'm a fan, so that gives me a right to just take what I want? I'll have to remember that in court.

I've contacted the owner complaining about my mods being reuploaded there. You know what he said? He got all defensive and even had the audacity to ask if he could repost them on the website after I had said "if you would have asked, maybe." This is not a productive way to go through life. So if you don't contact them, where is all this money going? Are they just going to 'hold' it until you contact them with proof that it's your mod? What gives them that right, to hold your content hostage simply because you offered it on pages you uploaded it to free of charge? Like I've said many times in the past, it's stealing from charity.

[EDIT] - Oh, and if you do in fact get your content removed, they'll take their sweet time getting around to it or ignore you completely. The best way I had was getting ahold of them through the facebook page. Since then I've had more complaints, to which I got no further response.

Regardless, everything is waaaay outdated on their site due to the mass amount of complaints yet a lot of other mod authors work remains. Some simply because they don't feel like bothering. Personally, it doesn't matter to me how much recognition I get from my files. It all depends on how far I've gone to make an imprint, ME. I don't ask for anyone to go out peddling old versions of my files to get noticed, some of which rely on other mod author content to get them going- which is often not added to their plagairized description. I'm fairly confident I possess the ability to manage my files on my own and upload them as I see fit and to continually maintain them in their best working state to the best of my abilities- where I have authorized.

The main issue here is that someone adds something harmful to your content and you start getting a ton of issues with your mod that should never exist in the first place, it's all on you. Users will overlook your mod because of what others have put on you. Just because they say they don't add anything to author content, well, they also say 'it isn't stealing' in the first place. On sites we've uploaded files ourselves, users have diret contact with us (as well as the latest version) where we can walk them through everything to get the desired effect. On their site, you'll notice comments about problems with no response. Who takes the burden? The mod author. This can come in all sorts of forms, detering users away, having their name dragged through the mud for future projects, etc. We work for our users to give them the best overall experience. No one needs a middle man destroying their notoriety.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
                          • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

They just responded.
                            They have taken my mod out of their site.

They also said they are working on a link to the nexus page, and asked if they would do that, if they could put my mod page back on their site. Which I said yes. If they change the download link to a link to the nexus page.

• medicdude

medicdude Intergalactic Tourist

To some extent the hosting site should be allowed to serve ads to recoup operating/bandwidth costs and maybe even make a small profit for design, ease of use/utility, but I can see the big problem with some other uploader taking credit or payment for your work, glad it all seems sorted out now.

• Honor Shipping

Just going to point out that when you complain to people, especially through a text-based platform, it can be difficult to understand the tone behind it all. And their first language isn't English, the language I'd assume you started complaining at them in. I'm not surprised they got defensive.

Also,

~ I'm not sure where this "free of charge" thing comes in. Pretty sure royalties don't apply to mods.

~ Their intent, as they stated on their page AND in the email to Digus, is not to be harmful or add malicious files to the mod.

So the only thing I can see being of much relevance in this case is the "sweet time" bit, because the less than 24 hours before they took the mod down had yet to pass.

But I really don't feel like getting into a giant argument over this, so you can be suspicious of every fansite that pops up if you'd like. Not gonna do a whole lot of good for anyone, but that'd be on you.

• Androxilogin

As I've said in an earlier post on this thread, this is no longer of my concern. I'm not arguing, I'm stating the facts. No matter what you do, people sharing these things without your knowledge and getting paid for what you do will always be wrong in the first place. Despite whatever effort, the creators themselves have spoken and voiced their view on this- and not many (if any) have had a positive reaction to it. This is --that-- thread. If you can make another thread about the positive effects of this site and how they help us to flourish I can't see it being as popular as this one. It's definitely some shady work that no one agrees with.

~ Royalties don't apply to mods, correct. But when they're making money off of something that you do without your consent or knowledge, people tend to find this offensive. All they're doing in this case is belittling the author to the point they simply want to give up because some [ ] is out there banking off of them simply because they didn't contact them to have it removed. And if We don't contact THEM, that is the real kicker- when we had no idea the site existed reuploading our files we've slaved over for days, months.. That's quite a bit of a bad idea under any circumstances. Reuploading is a big no-no with most anything that doesn't explicitly state so. Not kindly asking in the first place with a halt on that upload button really over does it. No language barrier there!

~ How do you trust someone who has taken directly from you? If it wasn't their intent, they could completely 'cease' all traffic from the content until they had it all figured out. Actually contact the authors, start off slow, work with us if we agreed. There are options.

Again, these are simply the facts. If you can't see how this affects the community, I can't understand that. Modders have wanted to & have quit over this. It's kind of like giving someone a sentimental gift that you worked extremely hard on to find out later that someone else stole it, made duplicates, patented it and sold it without your permission or even your name attached to it whatsoever.

There are correct ways of doing things. They did none of those, I far from wish them success.

• Honor Shipping

Nothing on the site in question was being sold... what site are you talking about..? If any money was being made, it was from ad revenue, and there's nothing wrong with that. If it's really annoying then set up adblocker or something.

And there was "working with". They agreed to replace the mod with a link to the nexus page.

Not entirely sure you're talking about the same thing I am.

• Androxilogin

With Nexus we are basically signing a contract allowing them to generate ad revenue. This is by our own consent. When someone goes behind your back and under administrators noses on the official sdv reddit page to list themselves as "the place for Stardew Salley mods", this is very suspicious. I notified the admins and they had no idea what the site even was, deleting it immediately.

So basically they took traffic from reputable sources for their own selfish needs, generating ad revenue by linking through the official reddit page of over 100,000 members. If anything, this forum should have been listed there instead.

The list goes on and on..

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

I am putting my support behind andro here, I am not against having other places for SDV mods, but the way this site has gone about it is illegal no matter how you look at it, and doubly so if this really *is* a dutch site, as dutch copyright is implicitly very strict.
                                        By uploading to nexus, mod-authors (by dutch law) give away:
                                        - The right for nexus to promote, earn money from and redistribute your files within their platform (Pretty much standard)
                                        - The right for nexus users to download your file for *personal* use (Obviously, since otherwise your mod wouldnt be useable)

Any further rights you need to *explicitly* give away by setting the relevant checkboxes, this includes the "Permission to redistribute", and that even has a explicit "After consent from the author" requirement.

So yeah, no matter what way you look at it, as the mods they are redistributing are by dutch law copyrighted, they are violating our laws heavily and are potentially subject to hundreds if not thousands of euro's in fines for having done so.

Edit: Oh, and before I forget - by current EU laws, that site is also making anyone who downloads from it a criminal - since they are illegally copying digital content without the authors permission.

• JejomarPlayz

JejomarPlayz Orbital Explorer

Justice For Mod Owners
                                          Mod Owners:fireball::fireball::fireball::fireball::fireball::fireball::fireball::fireball::fireball::fireball::fireball:
                                          StardewValleyModNet:lolwut:
                                          Mod Downloaders AtStardewValleyModsNet :urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh::urgh:
                                          And Found Facebook Page

Attached Files:

Ladysarajane likes this.