1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Switch - Corrupted save file? Sleep crash bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by Typhoon, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Tracks30

Tracks30 Aquatic Astronaut

Same issue here too. Happened on Fall 3 after getting to floor 80 of the mines and adding some stuff to the community bundle. It then saved normally the 3rd time through that day. As far as I know, the only thing I did differently was not pick up a red quartz (couldn't find one, though I still mined) and didn't add a thing of jam to the community center.

Then it crashed again when going to bed on Fall 4 after I, again, picked up a red quartz in the mine (went down to floor 85), and then added it, the jam, a gold bar, and 2500g to the community center bundles (doing so completed the boiler room one).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    • acamm1992

acamm1992 Space Hobo

I am having this same problem. Everything was fine until I got to Winter 1, and then it started to crash on occasion when going to sleep. Initially, it seemed linked to upgrading my pickaxe to steel; however, it has also crashed when not upgrading my pickaxe. I've seen a workaround mentioned about putting all items into a chest before sleeping, but this does not work every time for me. So not sure what it is. Basically, it seems to save fine if I don't do too many things during the day, which is frustrating and makes the game pointless. I've also seen mention of the issue being related to the squid quest for some people, so I'm going to try deleting it from my quests and see if that helps, but I'm not optimistic. Seems like more and more people are having this issue as they get to winter (I've seen it mentioned a lot on reddit and twitter), although it doesn't seem exclusive to winter. Really hoping for a fix soon as this has made the game unplayable for me.

• dressenb

dressenb Space Hobo

@acamm1992 I don't think it's related to the squid quest, I did three different days of 1) not completing the quest 2) completing the quest and 3) not taking it at all. I agree that not being able to do a lot can be frustrating, my days have been packed from morning til 1am!

• dressenb

dressenb Space Hobo

IMPORTANT UPDATE: On suggestion from @Zorkinian I played my day again, doing absolutely EVERYTHING the same with ONE exception: I DID NOT MAKE SASHIMI. One thing I want to note, though, is that I had made sashimi before but I used the ingredients from my bag where as when my game was crashing, I was using the ingredients from my FRIDGE. I don't know if there is any causation there, but I will be sticking to giving Sebastian void eggs from now on >.<

• Zorkinian

Zorkinian Void-Bound Voyager

I started taking a screenshot of my inventory every night before sleeping, and have been taking a few more risks each day to see what has me crash.

One day I made Sashimi, but then put it all in the fridge. No crash
            My most recent day I made pancakes, and kept them in my inventory. Crash that night.

I'm beginning to suspect (at least for me) that having certain food items in my inventory is what causes the crash. Hard to say for sure. I wish I could send you logs or something. =\

dressenb likes this.
            • dressenb

dressenb Space Hobo

Are you using the ingredients from your bag or from your fridge? I'm staying away from cooking for a little while haha!

• Zippy Ragu

Zippy Ragu Space Hobo

I've had this bug so many times and I've found that if I do anything of worth I can't go to bed, but if I just go straight to sleep then it saves the game.

I can't:
                -Forage wood
                -Upgrade tools
                -Give gifts
                -Fish

But I CAN:
                -Feed animals
                -Water plants
                -Cook food
                -Pick plants

If it helps, I'm on year 1 in fall 14. PLEASE patch the game soon, I can't do anything at the moment!

EDIT: I was able to forage some wood and fish after trying over and over, but no matter what I can't upgrade my copper pickaxe. I think this is what is causing the crashes.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
                • Willyam

Willyam Space Hobo

Having this problem too. I'm getting it On day 1 of winter year 1. Seems to be from trying to upgrade my copper watering can, but I haven't tried doing the day without it. I REALLY hope this can be fixed soon

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Regarding the potential "fix" mentioned further up this thread:

"Doesn't seem to work. I have not touched the mines at all recently and I'm still getting this error. The only times where i dont error out is when i do borderline next to nothing in the day. but then i lose out on growing time.

I have also tried:

• emptying my inventory before bed
                    • Sorting my inventory using the organize button when inventory is empty before bed
                    • keeping my inventory as is at the end of the day
                    • Sorting my inventory using the organize button when inventory is full before bed
                    • selling my items using only vendors
                    • selling my items using only box
                    • not using any process items (furnaces, preservation jar, kegs, cheese maker, etc.)

Things I have not tried:

• ignoring my animals for the day

Things I have noted:

• this only started happening after I started raising animals
                    • this started when I first tried opening a bunch of geodes and using the box to sell the stuff
                    • This started happening in the fall of year 1"
                    https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...dew_valley_possible_solution_for_the/do4uiik/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
                    • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Just a thought, but does anyone with this sleep crash have the game installed on SD Card ?

• scssquatch

scssquatch Space Hobo

Also experiencing this crash. Started Winter 10. Crashes when I seemingly "do too much". If I wake up and instantly sleep it's fine. If I wake up and just do a couple hours of things it seems to be fine. Someone mentioned it might be caused by cooking and eating something on the same day in Winter, which would line up with what I've experienced. Will try playing a full day without cooking and eating and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Would like to add some experiment results that may be helpful.

Someone told me it had to do with cooking and eating something in the same day, so I woke up, grabbed a fish from a pot, cooked sashimi, ate it, then went to sleep and it did NOT crash.

I also tried doing a bunch of things in the day (farming, petting/feeding animals, giving a gift) then going to sleep WITHOUT cooking/eating sashimi and it still DID crash.

I also thought it had to do with upgrading my pickaxe to iridium, but it's been happening when I do AND when I don't start the upgrade process.

I've also heard about emptying your inventory before sleeping, but my game still crashes when I do that.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
                          dressenb and Typhoon like this.
                        • Zorkinian

Zorkinian Void-Bound Voyager

Looking back further (and reading what some other people have said), I've realized that every day that had a crash I cooked food _from my inventory_, not the fridge's inventory.

I wonder if the bug is related to having entities (Kitchen, Clint) take items out of your inventory (cooking/upgrading)? Maybe some evil remnant is left behind, and when the game tries to save your inventory, kaboom.

FitzChiv and Typhoon like this.