1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Mechs. A list of minor peeves.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Drakarus, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Drakarus

Drakarus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

*attempt number 3 at writing this

Mechs.

The good things:

It's like my mod idea became part of the vanilla game. *swoon*
    *Various horn honking noizes*

The bad things:

Energy consumption puts a hard limit on planetary usage (no means to recharge on a planet)
    Transporting mechs on planets is painfully slow (Low mobility and no means to remotely call mechs)
    Lack of quirky gimmicks to goof around with (Besides horns. Please add more horns. They're awesome.)

My suggestions:

Add a craftable mech repair tool or throwable versions of the power cell drops to allow recharging on a planet. (tool preferred)
    Allow mechs to be called down to your location anywhere a survival mode player could beam up (IE anywhere on the surface)
    Add a slot in mech assembly for unique mech parts that can't be crafted and must instead be found in space. (Things like grappling or a mecha morph ball {that'd be epic}.)

Side note, mecha headlights? Flashlight beam out the mecha's face? Y/N?

2. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They could stand to add a beam saber which actually looks like the Violium Broadsword or the Solus Katana, as opposed to just a large metal object which sends waves from it. I want some Gundam-esque beam swords.

3. Drakarus

Yeah, that sort of consistency in weapon design would be good. Even if it's just an aesthetic change as far as I'm concerned. Though I'd also like to see a boost to the knock-back of close range weapons. Currently the only *useful* point blank (melee) weapon for keeping things back is the basic drill. While I tend to pair a suppression fire weapon like the twin rifle with a high damage weapon like the spike fist, having a higher tier melee option for spacing enemies would be very appreciated. (I currently use the XS mechs modular edition mod just to add more good weapons to the game)

Though I wouldn't compare Starbound's squat and chunky ride armor to a Gundam battlesuit. They're more in the genre of american mech. Slow, thunderous weapons platforms on legs. Like a walking tank rather than a robot body.

Actually, calling them "ride armor" like that from the Megaman X series is pretty apt. They mostly fit the comparison quite well.

DraikNova likes this.
  4. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, I can definitely see them as being more like ride armor than they are like mechs (big Megaman X fan personally, I liked X 3's ride armors the best, but X4 had some good ones too.)

I just personally like the Gundam's Beam Saber, I think it'd be a lot cooler than the current energy sword mechs currently have.

5. Drakarus

The XS modular edition mod has some pretty good energy swords. Just a borad, fair knockback, high damage one-two swing. As usual with XS, it's a bit TOO powerful damage wise, but I could see swords in the vanilla working that way.