An Idea

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Focean, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Focean

Focean Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello, I'm new sorta new to the game and to the forums so I'm hoping my thread doesn't offend anybody(?)
    I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this but if no one did, I'm hoping that ConcernedApe will be seeing it.

Add a tailor shop. I know that we're able to choose what our character wears in the beginning but what if the shop has clothes that aren't in the initial options? Also, clothes that add stats. A catalogue can be included too, just like Pierre's General Store and Robin's Carpenter Shop. However, the catalogue only gives away clothes that doesn't have the added stats.

"Won't that make the game much easier to complete since you can defeat the monsters faster now?" Yes but what if we add higher difficulty monsters? Either that or more monsters spawned per floor. This should be able to balance it out.

An added tailor shop means more villagers, more interactions and most of all, new marriage option(s). I've been thinking that it'd be really nice if there're more villagers in Pelican Town. It feels a little empty... (at least that's how I feel)

I know that the game isn't completely done and I'm not sure if anyone has started feeling that Stardew Valley is getting a little stale even though it's only been out a year and some months, so I was thinking of what could be added to make it more "fresh". This will be more work too, so I hope this doesn't add more trouble.

Update: I was reading suggestions made by others and I came across this thread. I really liked the idea by Liliput of a jewelry shop so that can be another way of having more villagers and marriage option(s). The jewellery can be used to gain more heart levels with the villagers instead of wearable since they're not exactly visible on our characters. Also, I think it'll be nice if we're able to craft our own weapons by going to Clint's, with the minecraft system of crafting objects(?)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
      Dougyhowzer and Fuzzyman like this.
    • Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

First off, hi! And welcome to the forums!

Secondly, you're not the first to suggest the idea of a tailor, but that's fine! It just shows that there's quite a few people out there who want something like this.

I'm not sure what you mean about 'adding a few monsters' that has anything to do with the tailor... I don't have enough context to see what you're trying to get at here.

I definitely approve the idea of having a few new Townspeople NPCs. Maybe a few more Marriage candidates to increase the diversity would be fun too.

It does feel like a lot of the game gets to become samey by year 3, but this is why I like to check out the suggestion forums. So many people here have come up with some pretty interesting ideas to try and make the game feel more immersive and continuously fun! If you hadn't planned on it already, I highly recommend checking out other suggestions on this forum. Some may help give you ideas for your own suggestions... just be sure you credit the people who inspire you. ^_^

Welcome again to the forums!

• Focean

Hello :casper:
        Ahh, what I meant by needing more monsters is because I suggested that the tailor shop will have clothes with stats. It'll be easier to clear the game if it's left as it is but if there're more monsters, I thought it'd balance out :nod:
        Thank you for agreeing that it's nice for more villagers and marriage candidates :laugh: and for your advice :)

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

I see... hmm, that sounds interesting. Maybe the tailor could coordinate with Clint the Blacksmith to craft equipable armor that you'd see when you're entering the mines or Skull Caverns. That'd be cool to see!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
            Focean likes this.
          • Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I actually dislike the idea of clothing having stats. It should just be a choice of what you want to look like (I even dislike that the current boots have stats).

nekoCrimson likes this.
            • Focean

May I ask why you dislike it?

• Roskii Heiral

Giving clothing stats makes certain clothing better than others. This means that in order to have the "best stats" you'll have to wear certain gear instead of wearing whatever you want. I'm fine with items that you can't see on your sprite having stats, but I want complete control over my character's looks.

nekoCrimson likes this.
                • Focean

Ahh ok, now I understand how you feel. How about this? My friend suggested that all clothes have no stats but we're able to add stats into them. So it'll kinda be something like collaboration with Clint, like what Xamerzan said. Is this better?

Xamerzan likes this.
                  • Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

Another potential idea you could do with this is have it so you have a wardrobe of armor and stat-based clothes that you can place in a "social" slot for the aesthetics only (any stat-based clothes placed in the social slots do not offer their stats and are purely for looks)... or just disable the slots in general so you can see your character how they normally look. This way you have full control of how you want your character to look AND you can have the best-in-slot items equipped. I'm not the first to come up with this idea of course - in fact, Starbound incorporates this function - but I think it'd work well for something like this.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
                    • Icewinde

Icewinde Space Spelunker

Personally I don't like the idea of adding armor, stats and all that.
                      It would make the game a total different one.
                      Adding stats means you need harder monsters, Adding harder monsters means you need to add tactics to defeat different monsters.

Stardew Valley is a relaxing, non combat game. Sure there are some blobs and other stuff in the mines and few other places but its pretty much swing your sword long enough and those will be defeated.
                      If you gonna work with stats the whole fighting concept needs to be reworked and that would make Stardew Valley..... not Stardew Valley anymore imo.

nekoCrimson likes this.
                      • Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That depends on your personal physical condition. Personally I have nerve damage and can't just click click click. Stardew is basically the only game that has some combat that I can play and I like it for that, but It would be easier and more enjoyable for me if there were some armor. Basically I can't really go into the caves. Personally I'd like to be able to craft my own, but if it were set up that you could get some clothes from maybe the hat shop (a wider selection) and then take them to Clint or the Wizard along with requisite items (maybe some of those minerals that otherwise just get sold back to Clint) and money and have stats added to the clothes that'd be fine. That would satisfy both the people who want clothes for aesthetics and those who want a stat boost and no specific clothing item would be inherently better than another

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
                          Focean and Xamerzan like this.
                        • Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

Heck, the armor with stats doesn't even need to be required. Maybe have it just so it helps making running through the Mines or Skull Cavern an easier experience. :)

• Roskii Heiral

You don't even need armor at all, you could just cut to the chase and make the mines and skull cavern easier without the hassle of creating new assets at all