In-Game Journal

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Raiker, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Raiker

Raiker Void-Bound Voyager

So I this is just an idea I had for the game that I think would be both fun and helpful, but isn't a hassle. I was thinking of having some type of in game journal thing to where you could write down important things or even just fun memories you'll soon have with multiplayer mode. Some examples I've thought of were things like writing down what villagers likes and dislikes were, where to find different things, or just whatever you wanted to write out. It would basically be like typing in notepad, but you get an item like with the calendar, that opens it in the convenience of it being in game instead of saving it as a separate document and then trying to remember where you hid it on your PC. I also think it would be player friendly for those people who would be getting the console version(s) of Stardew Valley with less of a hassle to find things and more time to actually focus on playing the game instead of looking up where to find everything. I don't know if this was already brought up, or if there is something like this planned for an update or anything like that, but I think this would be very helpful to many fans of this game and a welcome add on to people who will be playing it on the console version(s) of this game. What are your thoughts on this? Please let me know what you think and Any other ways it could be a better system for this.

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

I would honestly love to have a journal that updated itself depending on discoveries you make throughout the game. Sure, you could write in your own notes if you want to, but I think having the journal being mostly automated would be good enough.

Dougyhowzer and ChaosAzeroth like this.
      • Pyrofish

Pyrofish Starship Captain

I would be astonished if your computer does not have Notepad on it.

• LadySurly

LadySurly Void-Bound Voyager

OP addressed this in their post...

Personally I like the idea so you don't have to keep flitting back and forth between a typed document and the game. Or, in the case of console version as you've said, having to keep a written notebook.

Dougyhowzer and Xamerzan like this.
          • Raiker

Thank you guys for all the feedback. I am liking the automated update idea as well. It would still be fun to occasionally write tiny notes too at least. The reason I said the written thing though is so you have to at least pay attention to what the text is saying, and then if you already know it since you've been playing for awhile, you could start it up, and as soon as you get the journal, you could write it down if you remembered.

Maybe you could have it like a little area to draw too. For those of you who have had the opportunity to get a Switch and play Splatoon 2, you have had a chance to doodle things with the posts in Inkopolis. I think it might be a fun little feature if they added it, like a little place to doodle. I'm always one for small details that games don't have to add, but when they do have it, it just brings it to life so much more.

Moving back to why I liked the Written idea more though, is for people who like going through the mines, and similar things they could note. Some people like the challenge of not knowing, others sometimes detail things better than the game itself could. You could keep track of what grows where, how often it appears, what you'd noticed is the most effective way to go about your day, even so far as what everyone's schedules are in game, day to day. It could be an endless list of things. And it is only limited by how well you could describe something in typing it out.

Again, I love everryone's comments and ideas. And I think an automated update of things, even if it was optional, would be good.

• Pyrofish

Pyrofish Starship Captain

Yes.
              And I'm saying there's notepad for now, if that were to ever happen.
              Use it until then.

Though, I must say, "then trying to remember where you hid it on your PC"
              What in the world are you doing?

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I like your idea =3

I'd actually like to see it in the form of a computer that your character can interact with. Perhaps even as a later enhancement to the idea, you could add the ability to "chat" with npcs (maybe to catch up w/ the ones you weren't able to see that day?) That would really help with some of the harder to see npcs. Maybe you could even use it to organize your chests (similar to the computers in pokemon?)

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

Like Sebastian? That would be interesting to see/use. Maybe you start with your regular journal and then in late-game you can upgrade to a computer.

LadySurly and Roskii Heiral like this.
                  • Raiker

I'm really happy to see these ideas. I enjoy the upgrade idea for a computer later in game. Remember, this is all just something I would like to see if it happened. I enjoy all the ideas.

Also, Pyrofish, What I mean to say by "then trying to remember where you hid it on your PC" is that, at least for me, I have a hard time keeping every file organized. And if I haven't played the game for awhile, I might forget I even made a Notepad document for it. If you don't have this issue, I'm glad you are very organized.

Anyway, keep up the chat and ideas. I'm really enjoying this conversation! ^^

LadySurly likes this.
                    • Raiker

I had another thing that I think the journal could be used for. It could possibly double as a quicksave device. I know there have been days where I haven't just wanted to waste I couldn't quicksave so I either had to end the day or play though the whole day to save my game. I think this idea might be a great feature, if nothing else than to make it less of a hassle to save while not removing the other save feature.

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

Well, there's a pro and a con to this idea (at least that I can see)... the pro being that it would be nice to have the ability to quit the game half-way through a day and not have to start that whole day over again allowing you to just continue where you left off. The con being that if you royally screw something up during the day and it can't be reversed normally, if the quicksave is automatic (I suppose it could be manual) then you can't undo the damage that was done. I have had many an instance where I thank my lucky starts that I can exit the game to prevent the loss of progress, the failure of a seasonal event, or loss of special items due to my occasional ineptitude :p

Frankly, I'm indifferent with this idea. I just wanted to put in my two cents. :)

• Gewitsch

Gewitsch Void-Bound Voyager

I think the journal is a nice idea for players who do not wanna go to the wiki. The wiki is a great source for information and I am learning new thing thanks to it, but switching from the game to another source is ... sort of annoying. When I did make my million gold run I had the crop planner on my lap top active and sometimes tabbed to excel to see when I had easy mushroom lvls.

Surely some of you know the Game "Worlds Dawn". There they have similar items. One is cool, because it is sort of a villager checker. The more you get to know villager the more is written there. It acts like a "notepad" about the villager. Quite charming is the info on the like/love items.

Personally I would love to see a Journal, which helps you planning. You get the infos while you play and they are stored there afterwards. So even if you as a player forget it, you can look it up. I would prefer a "universal" journal. One modul for the villagers, one modul for festivals, one modul for seeds etc. It should help new players to stay in the game rather than to look it up.

But as always with the suggestion. Maybe a modder finds it. Lucky would be if our hero eric could see it^^

Dougyhowzer likes this.
                          • Raiker

Thank you for all the input guys. I appreciate it.

• oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, something like an in-game notepad would be a neat addition, if only so i can put my to-do list somewhere convenient.

• FickleRhubarb

FickleRhubarb Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd like to see this a bit more flexible so that I can tear off sheets or sticky notes from the pad I buy and put them in chests so I can make notes about what's in the chests. ("The gold star cauli is for the festival. The Gold Horseradish is for Krobus. The Pumpkin is for X or Y.")