1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED RPG Growth 1.92

Adds RPG-like growth (stat points and classes) to Starbound

1. ThornyFlora

ThornyFlora Pangalactic Porcupine

ThornyFlora submitted a new mod:

RPG Growth - Adds RPG-like growth (stat points and classes) to Starbound

Read more about this mod...

2. ThornyFlora

3. ThornyFlora

4. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

breakdown:

Dexterity is agility. While I understand, a bit, reducing fall damage via dexterity (breakfalls, etc), it translates into *ridiculously more useful than most other stats* simply because you can fall greater distances with almost no risk. Which means right out of the game, it is a much larger advantage than say, +5% hitpoints or a bit more armor. Doing FrackinRaces, this is something I have to keep in mind with several races. Avali need a nerf , for instance...but I digress.

What I would suggest is keep the fall damage reduction but reduce it a tad. In addition to that, append some changes to fireTime with weapons. The higher their dexterity, the faster they can attack (to a maximum limit, because thatll get OP really damned fast otherwise!!! the key is very small gains of like 0.001 per increase)

Ninjas outshine most other classes as a result of their techs. Most give you invulnerability while activated, making ninjas effectively capable of ignoring any and all damage whenever they want without any real cost to themselves. Other classes also have useful techs, yes, but I would gladly choose a class that has 3 different ways to be invulnerable by simply pressing a button. Perhaps when cloaked their movement speed is halved (I do this with one of my phase techs), or some other factor limits the use of the techs to mitigate this a small amount. Nothing extreme, mind you...just some minor way to balance out the invulnerability.

Keep at it! This could be something great if you hammer at it for long enough.

ThornyFlora likes this.
  5. ThornyFlora

I'm glad that you understood the 'breakfall' aspect, since I thought it might be a bit confusing that Dexterity reduces fall damage. Health is actually a static increase, not a percentage, though I definitely see your point. I might improve Endurance, because it only raises Physical Resistance by 25% at max level (without scaling).

This is actually what I intended. However, I'm not entirely sure how to modify fireTime. I assume I have to add a weapon script? At max level, Dexterity decreases fall damage by 50%, which, as you said, is very powerful. I will consider lowering the amount reduced per level.

I was afraid Ninja would be OP, since I have a huge bias towards fast, high dps character. I can make each tech drain your health instead of having a base energy cost, or cost more energ to prevent spamming invisibility which would make the character more interactive and would mean you would need to keep track of your energy and health and switch between evasion and dps. I felt Vanish Sphere was fair, because you wouldn't be able to do much while in it, but I could block energy regen while it's active.

Really appreciate it! Thanks a bunch for all the balance tips.

Edit: Also, I assume you play with Frackin Races and Universe by default :p. Have you noticed any weird Power Modifier bugs when checking out my mod? I tried not to have any large mods while creating this, but I did install FU for a bit to make sure there were no outright crashes, and FR was installed for a bit, but I uninstalled it so that I could test everything without the racial effects to make sure it worked properly.

6. ThornyFlora

7. ThornyFlora

ThornyFlora updated RPG Growth with a new update entry:

XP Economy Update!

Read the rest of this update entry...

8. ThornyFlora

9. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

OH MY GOD SO MUCH YES!!!
    I have been waiting for a mod like this for a long time!!! :D

10. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

This is definitely an interesting and cool mod. I have a good feeling it's going to be a mainstay in my mod list. Personal advancement is always fun. Best of luck tweaking it, that's always tricky. In my personal opinion, though? Don't get too worked up on balancing the numbers. Instead, focus on giving each class its own identity: a defining trait, role or functionality that sets it apart from the others and works for a specific kind of game play. There's a lot of games with classes that rarely get picked because they don't provide the player with anything interesting, even if they have good stats overall. (D&D 3rd ed Fighters spring to mind.) I'm sure you'll do fine.

Oh, and one problem with the ninja class? The movement speed bonus makes the spike sphere tech a pain to use, because it keeps slipping loose from corners. That's of course a problem with speed bonuses in general (happens all the time with speed-boosting FU armors) and not this mod, but I'd count it as a big disadvantage to the ninja class... even if I really enjoy the speed bonuses otherwise. You just can't have everything, can you? :)

11. Mooncalf99

I've noticed that monsters don't drop XP orbs on Frackin Universe planets (and Fracking Universe biomes on vanilla planets, either), since they use their own monster drop lists. Is there a chance you could correct this at some time? Perhaps with a separate .pak for FU users, since that seems to be the standard approach. Would be great, thanks.

12. ThornyFlora

I originally tried to make the Vanish Sphere have better 'gravity' towards walls, but this made it buggy. It will stay for now, but I may change the tech entirely in the future. Thanks for the feedback.

13. ThornyFlora

Yes, there will be a RPG-FU Compatibility Mod that remedies this in the near future. Thanks for your input.

14. ThornyFlora

ThornyFlora updated RPG Growth with a new update entry:

Major Update Patch

Read the rest of this update entry...

15. Mooncalf99

Okay, feedback time:
    The Vanish Sphere really does cling properly without slipping loose at higher speeds. The fact that you've managed to find a solution to this problem earns my undying respect and gratitude. Thank you, you're amazing.

Bug report: A literal case this time. For some reason, possibly due to the changed monster drop pools, trying to capture FU bees and black beetles is trickier than before - they take several whacks with the bugnet and have a health bar, rather than just taking one whack. You can still capture them, it just takes a lot longer. Vanilla bugs capture just fine with one hit. I tested this out by reinstalling the previous version of this mod, and bees were catchable the usual way then. Not a critical problem, but could do to look into, given that a lot of players use FU.

Keep up the good work. :)

16. ThornyFlora

Thanks for the feedback! About the Vanish Sphere: while it does cling to walls better, it's a bit buggier than normal :p You'll notice you'll randomly bump backwards when you transform. I may find a fix for this later. As for the bees, that's a really simple bug I am going to fix today. It's because of a monster script that I can just remove bees from.

Thanks again! :)

17. Imperitus

Imperitus Aquatic Astronaut

I have a couple of Ideas for some additional classes

Officer: bonus damage with one handed guns/one handed swords, gives stat bonuses to crew members accompanying you. Primarily a support class.

Beastmaster: Bonus with two handed weapons, gives stat bonuses to capture pod creatures.

Pilot: Major bonuses while operating a vehicle (Mechs especially) no bonuses while outside of Mech/vehicle

18. Mooncalf99

Ran into a problem with a newly created character. This is what was shown when I first made the book. (Minus the class selected, which I did by mistake before taking the screenshot.)
    upload_2017-8-28_22-42-57.png
    Basically, I started out with a ridiculous amount of xp. No idea why (I had collected 185 xp before making the book). Fortunately, it was easily corrected by resetting, but still. Should be looked into.

19. LordRuin

LordRuin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can you/ will you make an add on that will include all the extra damage types added by frackin universe for the info tab?

20. ThornyFlora

You are using 1.1, correct? I believe I fixed this in 1.11, but I haven't uploaded it here yet, since 1.2 is going to come out in the following week.