1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Techs 2.0 1.56 fix

Upgrade your techs to 2.0 today!

1. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

greenRAM submitted a new mod:

Techs 2.0 - Upgrade your techs to 2.0 today!

Read more about this mod...

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

1. The issue of making new techs available to existing characters can be resolved easily by hooking the tech console's UI. You can see what I mean by looking at my (somewhat neglected) tech mod. If you need help making that happen, let me know.

2. What is it specifically you wanted new scripts to do? I don't mind doing some coding work, but I'd need a very clear vision of what you want.

You can reply here, or send a PM. Whatever works for you.

3. greenRAM

That's smart! Though, I like the idea of the techs being available naturally as the character progresses. I like how it plays out in my own games. I might try to make it available through purchase from the terramart as an item that will make available those techs as an alternative method of getting them instead, given that the game allows that.

I like the idea of linking techs together, where every time you wall jump it will replenish your double jumps. I wouldn't want this to go to its extreme though where a double jump resets another double jump, allowing the character to basically fly around with no limit. I've sent TyrannosaurusHax permission to use the coding he used in his Freedom of Movement mod. The coding might need to be changed for this project though. I'm not sure. I wish I were more coding literate. Something similar might be neat if you or someone else is up for it. Alternatively, if you have a vision of something you're interested in trying out with techs, I'd be honored to have it added to this already pretty experimental project. Part of the fun of modding is to just figure out what the game is really capable of. :rofl:

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I thought about updating it to put conditions behind making techs available. Conditions like "already has 'x' tech", "has completed 'x' mission", etc. But instantly available is certainly useful to me with all the throw away test characters I go through.

I also at a point intend to make an expanded tech UI, that allows upgrades(actually just swapping your tech with a similar one) much like the Matter Manipulator does. No... more like "Matter Manipulator Manipulator" mod does. Only certain techs would support it of course, and only those techs get the expanded options.

5. greenRAM

The buyable item idea didn't work out the way I wanted it to. Looks like the item needed to trigger a quest in order to make the tech available. So far, it feels too convoluted, so I might give up on this angle and go with your approach for now instead. Your tech UI overhaul idea sounds amazing. We could really use more metrovania elements in this game.

6. greenRAM

7. Skyfry428

Skyfry428 Master Chief

I put the zip file into my mods folder, but it does not seem to be loading.... The mod installation guide is very unclear when it comes to zip files. Help?

8. jje64

jje64 Phantasmal Quasar

You have to unzip it first. It has to either be an uncompressed folder or a .pak file for SB to read it.

greenRAM likes this.
  9. Skyfry428

Skyfry428 Master Chief

Got it!

10. Baze175

Baze175 Void-Bound Voyager

is there a way to activate the tech's on already exiting character ,like console command or something ?

jje64 likes this.
  11. greenRAM

I haven't been able to get anything elegant to work. I really wanted to find a work around of some sort to make these techs buyable at the outpost. Needless to say, nothing I tried worked at all, but at least I now know the basics of coding lua because of these failures, which is neat. For now there's admin commands you can use: http://starbounder.org/Commands

Looks like you can make a tech available with: /maketechavailable techName
    This is going to be a lengthy process as there a good number of tech names to fill in. Each of the new techs has a body, head and legs version, making it usable in the three slots. The names can all be found in the mod with just a little digging. An example is airdash2body, airdash2head and airdash2legs found in the Techs 2.0/tech/dash folder.

edit: I might try a few more ideas before I give up.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  12. Skyfry428

Skyfry428 Master Chief

Have you tried making a quest to unlock them? Like, bring Eli X number of X.

13. jje64

jje64 Phantasmal Quasar

Maybe check out the MMU mod - he just created a tech for being able to maneuver in space and it's unlockable by bringing the tech guy some iron bars. Maybe take a look at his mod and see how he did it?

14. Skyfry428

Skyfry428 Master Chief

Also, Aqua Sphere 2.0 should be able to toggle buoyancy.
    (EDIT) I just got the Spike sphere 2.0, and the sprite is EXTREMELY broken. It seems to function fine, but the sprite is not working, at all.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  15. greenRAM

greenRAM updated Techs 2.0 with a new update entry:

V1.2

Read the rest of this update entry...

16. greenRAM

17. greenRAM

I got something like what I wanted using this method. It took awhile to make the quest work. I couldn't figure out what was breaking it for awhile there. After I was finished it felt redundant, so to make the quest worth the while of everyone who already has those techs I added a few much more powerful extra techs that I thought might be fun, but hopefully not game breaking.

Thanks, got it fixed. It looks like it was missing a .frames file. To make bouncy something you can toggle on and off might require some new coding. That's probably way beyond my abilities. I'm open to anyone who wants to donate an experimental lua to the project though.

jje64 likes this.
  18. greenRAM

Look it up on google? Here's what I found on a quick search. Hope that helps. http://starbounder.org/Mods/Installation

19. khaotil

khaotil Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi there, really cool mod you did there, great job !

However, I found something about the Spike Sphere 2.0... since it raise its speed, the sphere is more prone to "unstick" from ceilings and walls whenever you reach a corner.
    I just wanted to warn you, in case you could fix the thing, or find another way to enhance the spike sphere ^^

20. ibigfire

ibigfire Void-Bound Voyager

Hm. I just installed this and pressing up while moving does not seem to be making me dash like it did with Better Dash installed. Do I need to install Better Dash in addition to this? Like, is it simply compatible with Better Dash or should dashing via up be working with just this mod?

P.S. Thank you for making it, regardless!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017