1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED PenGUIn - Starbound Server GUI

Discussion in 'User Interface' started by Senerio, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Senerio

Senerio Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey there, thanks for writing!

The password was never meant to be hard to find. It's just a little reward to those who really deserve it! :)

It's funny you write this today because I was actually pondering if I should try to work on it during my summer vacations. I wanted to include the player stations. I will try to have a look at it.

As for the RCON error... hmmmm... Puzzles me everytime. Like I keep saying, I'm not an expert with it. I just barely succeeded implementing it within. It works for some and doesn't for others. Why? I really couldn't say. All I know is that you need proper port forward to start with. But I suppose you did that. Out of curiosity, what are you running your server on?

2. williamjcm

williamjcm Void-Bound Voyager

I run my server on Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit. Port forward is configured as well.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow (it's 10:20-something PM here in France), maybe rebooting the computer and the modem/NAT/router will fix it.

3. Senerio

Could you also try hosting directly on a non server Windows version see if the same error occurs?

4. Senerio

Rejoice! I've worked my ass out and managed to fix and change quite a few things!

[2.1.0]
    • Improved status bar/top menu
    • Added 'Protectorate'. Will be displayed like the Outpost. (Protectorate is the tutorial mission)
    • Added command line arguments for server launch in the server configs
    • Fixed a few bugs regarding server start/restart/stop
    • Added Space Stations (with ships)
    • Reworked the ship traveling to work with the new implementation
    • Revamped the lists legends due to the eventual lack of space with the older format. Removed the texts beside the icons and instead made them into tooltip when you hover over each
    Known Issue :

• There are some instances space station will slightly "break" the UI. Namely, when someone connects directly onto a space station, the tracking won't work properly until the player warps somewhere else. Along with a few utility tweaks, this bug cannot be fix so long as the devs don't give a way to know which station belongs to which player. :(

zigarot likes this.
  5. zigarot

zigarot Void-Bound Voyager

thanks for the update Soren, really appreciate it :D

6. Senerio

Get out there and do some testing for me :D

I didn't test it too extensively. (Didn't test the arguments at all)

Come back to me on Discord whenever :D

7. williamjcm

The error doesn't occur on Windows 10 Home.

Maybe allowing PenGUIn in my server's firewall will fix things. Nope. Doesn't change a thing. I would like to see what fails, and when.

I'm planning to upgrade my server to Windows Server 2012 R2 (as I'm a student in CS, the Microsoft Imagine program allows me to get it for free) soon-ish (I need to make a backup first), so perhaps it'll help.
    Nice work!

I haven't tried the Ship and Tracking changes yet though.

8. Senerio

As I had suspected, Windows Server was the cause. You're actually not the first one to come up with that. :D

As to why, I still wouldn't know. I'll try to do some research now that I know 100% it's the issue.

9. TheLegendOfPeko

TheLegendOfPeko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

im wondering if i can use my subscribed workshop items on the server?

10. Senerio

Without any problem

11. TheLegendOfPeko

TheLegendOfPeko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i tried using fracken universe (from steam workshop) and a modded race but i keep getting a ship error when joining.

12. Senerio

Did you try using it without the GUI? Because it shouldn't be a problem. The GUI is only a mirror of the server output. It does no processing.

13. loovne

loovne Intergalactic Tourist

Please please PLEASE make a Mac version. As a "Mac Gamer" I find it hard to get nice things for Mac especially for games. Having this for a Mac would be awesome.

14. Senerio

As much as I would like to help. I'm not planning on making one. Ever.

The best you could do is boot camp Windows on your Mac and host it there.

15. williamjcm

I upgraded my server to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Same error.

I've also tried setting the compatibility mode to Windows 7 and increasing the timeout. Again, nothing changed.

16. Lord-Xanthor

Lord-Xanthor Void-Bound Voyager

SorenIX, your GUI is fantastic. Chucklefish should actually incorporate this into the server package. It makes things so much easier. Unlocking that bonus, now that took a lot of research as googleing it turned up so many songs, but not the info that was needed. I finally figured something to try, and surprisingly it worked and after looking at each and every song, was able to find the bonus one to unlock it. Awesome job! Was looking through the update info and the special coding, it had a feel to it that was so familiar, yet very old. It was screaming in the back of my head that I should know it! Then finally I realized what it was. Your way of using special ascii codes to display information in the server goes way back to the 80's, where internet didn't exist and in it's place was C-Net BBS's(Not to be confused with the file website) run on commodore 64's, 128's, and my personal favorite, the multi user Amiga version. I ran one called Video Game Mansion back then. My system got stolen in the early 90's when I had a break in while I was at work. But anyway, the codes are so much like MCI's (Not the stupid phone company) MCI' was short for Message Command Interpreter. Use the right letter and ascii symbols you and the users could make posts or login screens that would show the user their own sign in info, make the curser do strange things like print words on the screen a letter at a time then move to the end and back. 300 Baud users hated those, as it took forever for a long message to be displayed. Thinks like Kolorific that printed words in rainbow colors. Then some of the users got creative and would make posts scaring the heck out of new users as they would not know of MCI's and would think their personal info was black listed throughout the world until I or someone else explained that they were seeing their own info and it was a trick post. The memories..... Anyway, do you have a listing of using what character combos does what so I can personalize my server better? I saw the two examples above, but figured there must be a lot more. Too bad C-Net was never made for the PC internet of today, would be quite interesting to see.

17. Lord-Xanthor

For some reason, when you make items with admin command, its crashing the console sometimes. When this happens, the server still runs in the background with no way to shut it down except logging into the game and doing it from inside the game. If you try re-running it without doing this, you get lots of errors which crashes the server itself too. Oh, also, your startup file gets deleted. Not by antivirus, it just vanishes after requesting to shut down the server.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  18. Senerio

Hey there,

In regards to your first question, am I unsure of what you are talking about. I think you may be misinterpreting something.

Now about your problem, could you send me the exact steps (commands) you do to freeze the UI up?

19. Lord-Xanthor

I discovered the strange issue. One of my kids decided to install an antivirus program on their own account which is a huge nono. It was not showing up on the main account, but was running in the background and certain things kept triggering it so it would delete the file. Formatting my pc because of it.

20. jresine

jresine Void-Bound Voyager

Hello, i have error when enable rcon : [14:43:34] [Error] ServerRconClient exception caught: (NetworkException) tcp recv error: U