1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Missing/Corrupt Save File Troubleshooting Guide

Discussion in 'Support' started by ConcernedApe, Apr 7, 2016.

1. emelette

emelette Intergalactic Tourist

For some reason three days ago, when I last played, I was originally at Day 27 of Fall (Year 1). However, when I loaded my game today, I was at Day 5 of Winter (Year 1). Is there any way to fix this?

• tiildz93

tiildz93 Void-Bound Voyager

Can someone help me? In the wedding night, my game crashes. I can't go inside my house to save - game crashes.
      "Stardew Valley has stopped working"
      Haven't change anything.

• Namaste_Kitten

Namaste_Kitten Space Hobo

So if the notepad of my save is blank is it just gone? Is there really no way to get it back? what caused this cause I put so much time into this game I dont want to just lose it!

• Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tentacle Wrangler

On Xbox One this isn't possible. Please add an option that allows us to duplicate / copy savegames on Xbox One due to the risk of save game corruption.

• Elritso

Elritso Yeah, You!

Hay I'm new and I found a schedule error on the wiki. For some reason I couldn't post a new conversation so I guess this is the best I can do for now.
            The error is in Sabastian's Thursday winter 11th the wiki says that he goes up to the train station to smoke but he actually goes to the kitchen for a while
            then heads back to his room around 6

• Rexje

Rexje Star Wrangler

In case your save files are missing/corrupt/unusable, and you're running Windows, you might still be able to recover your files from automated backups.

Navigate to your save files ( %appdata%\StardewValley\Saves ), right-click on the save folder you'd like to recover, and select "Restore previous versions".

If you're in luck, you will see a table listing backup dates. Select one and press "Open" to inspect it; to make sure there are files there; you can also "Copy" them somewhere to check them out.

Pressing "Restore" will overwrite your current file(s) with the version you selected. You can't undo this! Make a backup first, if there's anything to back up.

Windows usually makes some backups when it performs maintenance (e.g. installs updates), so that it can restore your settings/files if something goes wrong. I wouldn't rely on this to safeguard your save files, but if you're in a bind and it looks like everything is gone and you'd have to start over, look into those previous versions.

• Ratzy3000

Ratzy3000 Space Hobo

I had the problem, that my game crashed when i try to load my character.
                "Stardew Valley has stopped working"
                My character's save file and my SaveGameInfo were fully in-tact.
                I found a way to fix that problem:

1. Open my character’s save file with notepad
                2. Searching for „<zoomLevel>0.75</zoomLevel>“
                3. Change it in „<zoomLevel>1.0</zoomLevel>“
                4. Save the File

• CyberLinkXfr

CyberLinkXfr Void-Bound Voyager

Hi There,
                  Just wanted to thank you Ratzy3000 for this ! Worked for me.
                  the error log says : "
                  Message: Impossible d'accéder à un objet supprimé. ( Can't access a deleted item )
                  Item Name : 'Texture2D'."
                  When i watched your answer, it suddenly makes sense ;)
                  Hope this helps the devs, it's the best farm game for pc i like so far. My Girlfriend would like some French Translation, i could help for the menu and items at least... for the lore and npc telling, it'll be taking more time, but it's not impossible.
                  Cheers and happy farming ;D

• hdcn99

hdcn99 Space Hobo

Hello , i did "Advanced Save File Surgery" thing and it worked but somehow i can only play summer season.it repeats , i cant pass to fall.Is there anyone having same problem?

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

No, I haven't come across that issue. But, if you want to upload your savefile here(zip it up) I can take a closer look for you.

• ivolaval

ivolaval Space Hobo

I've been over this problem also but I solved mine, pretty weird bugs like the anti-logger stuff.
                        The fact that you cannot load a previously good save game might be attached to the zoom you had when you saved the game.

The solution for me was to open the game in windowed mode (open the .exe and change the resolution in the upper right icon on the game menu) and simply load the previously bugged save and it all goes well.

Hope it helps!

• Timper

Timper Space Hobo

so, i play stardew on two computers, and i have the same save file on both i play on, i had uppgraded my house, bought chickens, i think i was in year 2, etc etc, and when i logged in on my other computer i was back in fall 4 and all my progress was gone, im really sad because i put in alot of work into my farm, can i fix this somehow, or do i have to start over again..? //sad farmer

• ViktorNikiforov

ViktorNikiforov Space Hobo

%appdata%/StardewValley/Saves doesn't appear to exist in my computer. Is there something else that it might be called? I need only to restore my previous day because I was playing late at night and tired and accidentally sold a legendary fish. This is the only game file I've ever used and I know I can't ever get it back without restoring the day so if someone could please explain why this file doesn't seem to exist in my computer I would really appreciate it.

• ViktorNikiforov

You simply have to play on the other computer again. Sometimes it doesn't update things to the cloud or whatever right away and your data is only on that one computer. I have this problem too. I don't know if it will ever catch up and be the same on both but it still exists on the other computer.

• MysticTempest

The file locations:
                                Windows: %AppData%\StardewValley\Saves\
                                OSX: /Users/yourusername/.config/StardewValley/Saves
                                Linux: ~/.config/StardewValley/Saves/

%AppData% is a shortcut to a hidden folder. It should show up when using the search bar. But, if looking for it manually. It's supposed to be under "C:\Users\<your username>\"; though you might have to set hidden folders to visible to see it.

• ViktorNikiforov

Ah. Thank you so much. I actually found it this morning searching for "Saves" but even though I'm using windows it still wasn't called %appdata%. Thank you, again.

• Cibanum

Cibanum Space Hobo

Have you ever had a situation where your Save file was replaced with another save file? I went to load my game and instead of Lloyd Greene of Greene Farm it says the persons name is "ba" from "ram" farm. It starts at day 1 and all my progress is gone. Upon looking at the save folder in appdata my folder is no longer there and the ba_numbers is in its place. It has happened to me 3 times in the last week and in prior situations I just uninstalled and Steam's sync had my proper file, but now it has this ram farm file instead.

• MysticTempest

I know some people have had the issue before in various ways; but both ways related to Steam Cloud. Either through users forgetting they logged into a computer that wasn't theirs; as in at a NetCafe or friends machine. Steam ends up pulling in all the old saves from other users as well.
                                      And, some reported it just happening out of the blue with Steam; sending people new files when they've only ever used their own machine. But, it seems to be rare; I remember a few reports last year, in the fall, but I can't really recall any recent ones.

• geniussurfer

geniussurfer Space Hobo

I'm not sure what to do because I was playing the game this morning (today is the 16th) and gained quite a bit of progress. I recently went back to the game to find the save file missing. I found the saves folder in my file explorer but it says 'date modified' on the 'SaveGameInfo' file and other file is the 14th and my now returning to the game my progress from this morning has been destroyed and I have no idea what's happened. Can anyone help?

• MysticTempest

Are you using any mods; especially outdated ones that could be inadvertently inserting bad data into the save?
                                          If you're using SMAPI, it sometimes acts as a buffer, and won't necessarily crash the game. Which gives the false impression that it's saving each time you sleep. But, playing without mods would crash it.

In terms of the save, you mentioned that the save was missing at one point. Did you make any modifications to the files inside to get it to load again?