Digital [Comic] Avian Handie C. Rafter's Starbound Adventure

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Tyle, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Hello guys, newcomer here.
    I guess it's a little sudden for me to pop up without warning and start hurling pictures, but I think this may be a good place to share some fanart - everything below and more can also be found on my dA page here http://avianhandicrafter.deviantart.com/ . Aside from expanding my audiences (read: shameless self-promotion...) I'm always looking for any comments and criticisms that can help me improve.

I started playing the game since last summer - turns out it's a wonderful source of drawing ideas for me! I started drawing my main player, Handie C. Rafter (a play on my dA handle AvianHandicrafter - I've been using this title for years before SB, mind) but it soon expanded to my entire crew. Here're some of the stuff I've drawn for my kids:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Eventually, I started wondering if I can draw some simple skits for them. I just started doing a webcomic unrelated to SB but I thought it might be a good idea to practice my skills here as well. I'm using the 'REALLY LONG IMAGE' format here - just thinking it's a better/easier way for simple sequential lols and giggles :D

[​IMG]

I just finished a new strip yesterday! It's mostly about Effiya and Tat, my resident Floran soldiers - I hope you like it :) Again, everything is long as heck so if you think this should be spoiler'd as well, please do tell, I'll change it asap.

[​IMG]

That's pretty much about it. For now, I'm taking a short break from arting but I think it might be a good idea to make drawing SB strips a regular thing for me, since still have a lot of ideas I haven't got to use. Do you have any comments or ideas? Feel free to let me know!

Important P.S. : I'm currently using image links directly from deviantART to save the effort of uploading it again, but I remember there used to be some incidents at another forum I frequent where dA imagelinks might not show up for some. If this happens to you, or if I happen to unknowingly violate any forum rules, please let me know as well, and I'll fix it immediately.

---
    EDIT/Update:

Now that more of the crew's shenanigans are piling up, I should put up a small description for each of the individuals - might update as more stories are added. Their appearances can be refered to in the first picture above.

Handie C. Rafter (female, avian)
    While Handie is the captain and owner of the ship, she is as doofy as you'd expect a fresh graduate to be. Spends most of her time digging and finding treasures somewhere in the universe, woo!

Tlin (female, avian)

Engineer - pretty much in charge of everything that happens in the ship. Has a very strong 'cool big sis' vibe.

Nevada (male, human)

Engineer - Handie's first friend after Earth got Ruin'd(ruined, teehee). Still misses home a lot but tries to work and help as best as he could.

Gus (male, human)

Medic - loves late 1900-era culture a lot. Spends his time either watching old TV shows/movies or fixing crew boo boos.

Tat (male, floran)
    Soldier - Looks rather intimating but is warmer and nicer than most florans. Don't insult his cooking OR his hair.

Effiya (female, floran)

Soldier - Same with Tat, has no cultural knowledge outside of their homeplanet and is eager to adopt. Enjoys pestering Snowy to no end.

Arrowchain (female, glitch)

Janitor - Space robot farm girl. Would rather care for the ship, stay away from the dangerous explorations and listen to the more active crew's tales of adventures instead.

Yuki/Snowy (male, hylotl)
    Janitor - Everyone calls him Snowy instead since it's easier to remember. A big nerd who likes to complain.

Aqu (female, novakid)
    Mechanic - Finds fun in anything. Age VERY unknown but nobody cares.

Vas (male, apex)
    Medic - Deals with all ship papers and documents and damn good at it. Apparently related to Imiril.

Imiril (male, apex)
    Mechanic - Vas brought him along when he signed up. Everyone's space grand dad, senile but very good at maintaining the engine nonetheless. Treats Aqu like his daughter.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

This is ADORABLE and I love it. (Especially the location info ; P) Welcome to the forums!

Also ARE YOU FROM TAIWAN?

themushroomlord, Waffle-Chan and Tyle like this.
  3. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Thanks!
    And yes, Taiwan is exactly where I'm right now! I'm a native Hongkonger however, just here for studies and cheap food :p

themushroomlord and Alkanthe like this.
  4. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Lol, I get that. I've honestly always wanted to move to Taiwan, but being a USA native it's been... not as easy for me. For multiple reasons. Still, I've been there twice so far.

What area are you in (if you don't mind saying)? I was mainly in Taipei, but I went down to Taichung for a bit. Mostly only explored places covered by the MRT and the high-speed train.

themushroomlord likes this.
  5. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

It's quite a distance between US and Taiwan, isn't it? Must be a hassle to travel here.
    I frequent the southern parts of Taiwan and currently live in this little place called Tainan - it's somewhat more relaxed than big cities like Taipei but still full of visitors and tourists during holidays. I also lived in Kaohsiung for a time! They're both very good places to explore imo.

themushroomlord and Alkanthe like this.
  6. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Did I
    Did I say it wrong
    (I'm sorry if I did but I meant Kaohsiung... it's been a year since I've been there)
    It definitely is hard to travel there, especially when I'm just starting out on my own...

7. Mega flapper

Mega flapper Existential Complex

Wow! Amazing art! Can't wait to see more from you! :rainbowbarf:

8. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Oh , my , Glob!
    This works are very goood!

Your art style reminds me a lil bit of Adventure Time. And those comics , it's great and neat!
    I wanna see more , nay , WE wanna see more of this!

9. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Wow, hey, thank you all for the nice comments!

I totally agree! I was a very avid fan of Adventure Time a few years back and it’s definitely one of the art inspirations I took after during my early years. My current style if you can call it that have deviated from that quite a bit (see one of the pages I’ve drawn for a webcomic I’m working on, as example) but the simple and beady-eyed style of Starbound graphics seems to have dragged me back full-circle! I hope it’s not too much of a bother, however.

10. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Your artstyle is amazing and is such a great fit for an adorable comic. The crew looks so much fun, I want to see more!

themushroomlord, Alkanthe and Tyle like this.
  11. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

A new strip fresh out of the oven, ahoy!

[​IMG]

Some comments from my last strip expressed, um, certain discomfort upon the introduction of florans into my crew so I thought it might be a funny idea for another quick strip, lol.

Don't get me wrong, I don't actually draw strips on a weekly basis (nor am able to, to be honest) <=D Still, this strip is simpler than the older ones so I can handle this within a shorter time. I'll be returning home to Hong Kong next week for my summer break to enjoy some quality time with my family, so it's going to be a bit of time until next strip.

12. desbro

desbro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love these and want more.

themushroomlord and Tyle like this.
  13. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

This is just incredible. Can't wait to see more.

themushroomlord and Tyle like this.
  14. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

I love these comics I need more!

15. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

I really like this art style. Please keep up the good work ;)

16. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Thank you everyone for the nice replies!

As I mentioned, I'll be taking a break from drawing for my family time, but I do very much welcome any suggestions for future strips - if there's anything you want to see, certain things they do, certain character (even in-game NPCs!) being in the spotlight...feel free to say it out loud! I mean, it's lot like I'm doing requests but it'd be totally great if anyone out there who have cool ideas and want to share them with me.
    Additionally, feel free to ask me about anything regarding the crew - I've freshed out most of their character but a mini AMA might be able to help me develop them further!

17. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

I'll have go at it. xD

Among the crew, who's the bravest ? And who's the coward?
    Any arachnophobic character that I can relate to?

18. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

I have some bad news for you =o
    My ship is very animal-friendly so it's hard to survive in the crew with any animal phobias (Tlin in fact donates a portion of her paycheck to space WWF every month), but among my kids Snowy is the most indifferent to them - especially since his leg is constantly attached to an ixoling :D Do you know that Ixodoidea refers to the classification of ticks, who is also an arachnid?

It's hard to tell who's braver than who, I'm afraid. However, both janitors avoid fights since a) they don't have any fighting experiences and b) my Earth's Finest mod convert them to quartermasters/traders so they literally can't fight, lol. I just kinda worked that fact into my headcanon.
    If I DO have to appoint the resident coward however, it would be Snowy's Gosmet.

19. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

Who of the crew is the funniest/comedian?

20. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Gus, that's for sure. Aqu is also a funny loony but she is more clownly than comedic.